KIRKBYMOORSIDEgenealogy forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stockel, Stockell or Stockill Families

July 31 2008 at 12:30 AM
Sharon Shaw 

I just stumbled on your website via St.Aidan's site and thought I would ask if there is anyone researching the Stockel, Stockell or Stockill Families who lived in Nawton, Kirkdale, Grimston, Sproxton, and surrounding areas like Pickering?

Also this may be a silly question but are Kirbymoorside and Kirkbymoorside the same place? I have seen both spellings. I am not from the area and would appreciate your help.

Sincerely, Sharon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
julie hunter

stockell family

April 1 2011, 12:20 PM 

Yes I am looking for information on the Stockell family. My maiden name is Stockell,some of the family moved to bradford to get employment in the mills when times were hard in the countryside in the late 1800s.I have found they lived in Ganton,Potter Brompton, Levisham and Kirby Moorside. I would like to communicate with anyone with any knowledge of these families.

Respond to this message   
Sharon Shaw

Stockell

April 1 2011, 12:57 PM 

Julie,
Thanks for finding me! I came across a Paul Stockhill who told me that the family name is pronounced as St-oh-k-hill. I had been saying it with a short vowel like St-ah-kel. My g-g grandmother is Martha Stockel dob 1 Mar 1831. Daughter of Thomas Stockel who died quite young 1798-1832 & Rachel Lownsbrough dob 1796-1862.

You can contact me with my e-mail rshaw023@gmail.com
I look forward to hearing from you.

I have been trying to find all of the siblings & families of Thomas.
Cheerio,
Sharon

Respond to this message   
julie hunter

stockell family

April 1 2011, 4:01 PM 

Dear Sharon,
Many thanks for such a prompt reply.There is a possibility we are descended from the same family.My great,great,great grandfather is william stockell born in levisham 1807.He was married to Mary Westrup.They had around 9 children.Some born in Stockton on Tees,some in Ganton and some in Falsgrave.Mary came from Kirkby Moorside her parents being Thomas Westrup and Dorothy Welburn.Williams mother is definitely called Elizabeth but I am not sure who his father is. A Thomas Stockil is named as witness at the marriage of William and Mary 28th May 1827 in Normanby Parish Church.I am not sure if this is his father or brother.I wonder if he was born after Mary (march 1802 levisham)to Edward and Elizabeth Stockell????? Who knows. I live close to the sea on the opposite side of the country now but I love the Scarboro, North Yorkshire area.I must try and visit this summer my son likes the look of the local golf courses. Joolz

Respond to this message   
Terry Stockhill

stockell family

July 9 2011, 8:32 PM 

Charles Stockel was born 1793 at Levisham, York and died 1839

Other children of Edward Stockel and Elizabeth Brian as follows:

Charles Stockel b 1793 d 1839
Edward Stockel b 1794
Robert Stockel b 1800
Mary Stockel b 4 Mar 1802 (married Robert Hewling 30 Jun 1830)
Thomas Stockel b 24 Nov 1796, d 22 Feb 1832

It also gives details of Thomas (1796-1832)'s marriage and children - it looks like the submitter was descended from Thomas

Thomas Stockel b 24 Nov 1796 d 22 Feb 1832 Married 7 Jul 1825 to Rachael Lawnsborough (b 26 nov 1796 chr 11 Dec 1796 d 15 Mar 1862)
Children of Thomas and Rachael
Martha Stockel b 1 Mar 1831 Yorkshire chr 4 Mar 1831 d 11 Sep 1914 (Utah, USA)
Eliza Stockel b 25 May 1825 d 3 Dec 1868
Ann Stockel b 23 Jul 1827 d 3 May 1890

Respond to this message   
julie

stockell

July 10 2011, 7:50 PM 

Hi Terry.
Thanks for the info. I visited Levisham and have info from there. My family of stockells are Bradford based but we get so many derivations of the surname that I think we are all interlinked somehow.

Respond to this message   
julie

stockell

July 10 2011, 7:50 PM 

Hi Terry.
Thanks for the info. I visited Levisham and have info from there. My family of stockells are Bradford based but we get so many derivations of the surname that I think we are all interlinked somehow.

Respond to this message   
julie

stockell

July 10 2011, 8:05 PM 

Hi again,
My e-mail is joolz.hoylake@hotmail.co.uk please feel free to correspond about any Stockell, Stockill, Stockhill, Stokehill, Stokell,Stockeld, Stochel, Stoekel, Stockwell,Stowkell, Stockdale, stockle, stockel, etc etc ad infinitum derivations of the name.There is a Robert Stokhild baker in York in the 1200s. He could be related.

Respond to this message   
Valerie Anne Freeman

Stokehill and variants

January 31 2012, 12:21 AM 

Dear Julie,
I am registered with Goons for all variants of the Stockell etc name. I am descended from William Stockle of Lastingham and his wife Mary.
Our name was from Stockeld in the 1100's and I have plenty of history about most variants.
Alive today is an 8th generation cousin living in America, who is 90, we stayed with him 12 years ago.
William Stockle was a weaver, his son Wlliam (Stockell) was apprenticed to a builder in Malton. He went off to sea and wrote a book, which I have the only known originall copy to come to England, via his sister, to their brother, Thomas Stokehill, in 1844.
William Stockell lived in Ohio and had a son called William also.
The Stokehill name was wrtten in Leeds and all the names are pronounced Stoakle, hence the spellings.
If you have another forum, perhaps I could come over.
Regards for now,
Val.

Respond to this message   
julie hunter

stockell family & varients

September 26 2012, 11:23 AM 

Hi, val, only just seen your message from january as it didnt link through to my e mails. I am very interested in the history of the Stockell family name. I have a copy ( not very good quality) of the eventful narrative scanned & reprinted by nabu . A good read, William obviously a colourful character. I have gathered a lot of info on various stockell branches & I am keen to link them together.I like the sound of the Goons, how do you register?Will be in touch again cheers, joolz

Respond to this message   
julie hunter

Re: Stokehill and variants

November 15 2012, 2:17 AM 

Respond to this message   
Niki

Stockhill Family helmsley/ nafferton

December 8 2012, 2:20 PM 

Hi, ive been researching my family for a while but i have hit a brick wall,
the furthest ive traced back to is thomas foster-stockhill b.1836 in nafferton. son of richard stockhill b.1811 yorkshire and dorothy foster b.1816 garton on the walds. do you know any information regarding the stockhills in nafferton area? thanx.

Respond to this message   
julie hunter

Richard stockhill

December 12 2012, 5:17 PM 

Hi NiKi,
Nothing in nafferton or bridlington. There is a Richard stockell bap 7 july 1805 helmsley which could be your richard especialy as fathers name is thomas stockell.Richard stockell marries dorothy Foster 25 nov 1835 in Kilham. Dorothy fosters parents are Thomas & Elizabeth foster. A Thomas foster is born 30 aug 1790 in Kilham to George & Ann foster.These could be her grandparents.There is a death recorded of a Richard Stockell in malton in 1846. This info may be of use to you. Good luck Joolz

Respond to this message   
Rod Stockell

Bridlington Stockell

August 12 2013, 6:19 AM 

Dear Julie

I have researched my father's branch of the Stockell family and have got back to William Stockell the younger, styled gentleman of Bridlington. He was born in 1780, married Ann Agars in June 1807 and they had four children: William Agars born 21 April 1808, Ann born 25 May 1809, George born 2 Nov 1812 and James born 2 Dec 1818. I am descended from James who moved to London. I would like to find out about William Agars, Ann and George Stockell and about their grandfather William Stockell the elder of Bridlington who was a tailor. Any information gratefully received. Best wishes from Sydney.

Respond to this message   
julie hunter

bridlington

August 20 2013, 2:49 AM 

hi rod,
just having a look at some of your ancestors not much yet.william agar stockell attorneys father was also an attorney.he was married to ann agar .his father was William stockell occupation tailor whose wife was rachel rich.i see james marries caroline in london .her father is a sailmaker. i presume james becomes a seaman but i havent found anything else yet. cheers julie

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement