KIRKBYMOORSIDEgenealogy forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hagg farms - Sturdy and Coverdale

October 18 2008 at 7:13 PM
Rob Lawlor 

I'm interested in finding out a bit more about Hagg Farm (or farms). As far as I understand, there were two Hagg Farms, one farmed by the Coverdale family and the other by the Sturdys. (I say 'farmed' because I'm not sure whether either family actually owned the farms - does anyone have any information on that?)

I'm a direct descendant of the Sturdys who I think farmed High Hagg Farm. The 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses show Jeremiah Sturdy (my gt gt gt grandfather) as "farmer of the Hagg". In 1851 Jeremiah is listed as the farmer of 100 acres of land; in 1861, 150 acres of land, employing 2 men and 1 boy.

Jeremiah Sturdy died in 1865. The farm was presumably passed to his eldest son, also Jeremiah, but he died in 1869. The 1871 census shows his widow Margaret Sturdy (nee Greystock) as the farmer of High Hagg Farm, 144 acres of land, with her daughter Jane (9) and four servants. Margaret Sturdy died in 1879, when Jane was just 17. I assume it is at this time that the Sturdys 'lost' the farm. On the 1881 census Jane Sturdy (19) is now a housemaid to a schoolmaster in Hovingham, and High Hagg farm is now being farmed by John Hugill.

Any information people have on the history of the farms would be very much appreciated, particularly regarding their ownership (were the Sturdys and Coverdales just tenant farmers or did they own the land?), and does anyone knows where I might look for information or records of ownerships or sale etc.?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement