General

Return to Index  

Unofficial Epics challenge - Japanese 20k

January 8 2004 at 11:19 AM
  (Login T-hawk)
from IP address 68.162.34.47

Anyone looking for something to play while waiting for the confused people at Firaxis to figure things out regarding the FP in Conquests? In the spirit of Zed's Deity OCC challenge from last year, take a look at this.

Here's a shot at something I'd always wanted to do in PTW: accomplishing a 20k cultural win as fast as possible, making heavy use of Great Leaders.

Game parameters:
Civ: Japan
Map: Tiny, Pangaea, 20% land
Difficulty: Emperor
Barbarians: None
Opponents: France, England, India

Here's why I picked Japan. Militaristic and religious are pretty obvious traits for this challenge - the first for Great Leaders and the second for shorter anarchy which directly translates to an earlier win. And a militaristic civ can avoid triggering an unwanted early Golden Age, as the only militaristic ancient wonder is the Great Wall which comes at the end of the age. Finally, the later Japanese UU is better than early GA-triggering Aztec Jaguars.

I tried a game on Monarch difficulty, but it proved to be way too easy; an archer rush could take out all the enemy capitals before they even got started. So Emperor it is.

I rolled starts several times, looking for a good combination of coastal access, fresh water, and at least one food bonus. Eventually got this:

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, I strongly suggest settling one tile southwest from the start. (I determined that from peeking under the fog, but not all graphic setups will allow that.)

http://www.dos486.com/civ3/japan-20k/Japan-20k-4000bc.zip

If anyone wants to try this, go for it! (Play in PTW 1.27f.) I'll post back asking for any results, say two weeks before the first official Epic of the new season closes.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. OCC? - Ed on Jan 9, 9:30 AM
    1. No - T-hawk on Jan 9, 1:15 PM
      1. No???! - Charis on Jan 9, 3:32 PM

2. Done! - Kylearan on Jan 14, 11:16 PM
    1. Also done - Charis on Jan 15, 10:49 AM
      1. Hey Charis - Kylearan on Feb 15, 4:17 PM

3. Eh - help! - Ribannah on Jan 19, 5:23 AM
    1. Reply - T-hawk on Jan 19, 8:23 AM
      1. Thanks! - Ribannah on Jan 19, 9:09 AM

4. One week - T-hawk on Feb 2, 2:55 PM
    1. Any results? - T-hawk on Feb 9, 7:39 AM
      1. Sure! My report - Kylearan on Feb 9, 9:03 AM
        1. Interesting - T-hawk on Feb 9, 3:35 PM
          1. Reply - Kylearan on Feb 9, 4:18 PM
            1. Uh Huh - Sirian on Feb 9, 8:20 PM
              1. :-) - Kylearan on Feb 10, 1:50 AM
                1. The Prod - Sirian on Feb 10, 11:12 PM

5. Turnlog - Grimjack on Feb 7, 2:53 PM
    1. Comments - T-hawk on Feb 10, 8:37 AM

6. Here's my report - T-hawk on Feb 9, 6:36 PM
    1. Impressive Performance -nt- - Sirian on Feb 9, 10:19 PM
    2. Comments - Kylearan on Feb 10, 2:41 AM

7. I reached the 10,000 in the year ... - Ribannah on Feb 21, 1:45 PM
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Tourney Mission Statement:
Existing Civ III tournaments, contests and group events are universally plagued by elements or shortcomings that lead often to compartmentalized results. Spoilers and privileged info is readily made available while games are still in progress. The game itself remains in flux through a patching process. The scoring system measures only a few elements of the gameplay. We at Realms Beyond are not satisfied to settle for these conditions and compromises.

The Realms Beyond is home to gamers who go beyond the norm, who creatively add depth to good games to make them better, who choose to set our own added limits to gameplay for the purpose of increasing challenge, varying gameplay flavor, and getting more out of the games we love. We discard the usual standards and venture into realms beyond, where we share our passion for gaming with one another, and with those who are like-minded.

We develop and refine our tournament as we go, with the help of the players. Each game is subject to rules, but we keep the framework light, the emphasis on excellence, the focus on the spirit of the game. Come and play. Share, compare, teach, and learn.