General

Return to Index  

Reply again

March 30 2004 at 1:33 PM
  (Login T-hawk)
from IP address 66.166.198.165

Response to Reply

Communism is only significantly better than Monarchy when you get to have a lot of cities, at least around the optimal number for the map. Controlling the starting area plus most of Egypt probably put you right around the breakpoint where Communism starts to take over. It'd be about equal at first, but as Communism got improvements built in the outlying cities, it would pull ahead in economy. Communism isn't an instant productivity spigot; it takes time to build up.

Now imagine what would happen if that same player had spoiler knowledge, and/or got more lucky and scored an SGL (or, heaven forbid, even two)! Ah, the possibilities... :p

Actually, when I said "let's see if anyone can beat that time", I really did include myself in that. It'd been two weeks since I wrote my report and I actually didn't remember what my finish date was. I knew it was in the 1700's but thought it might actually have been later than yours.

What I'm asking myself is why such a someone would ponder switching to communism mid-game but delay that decision because of a war, then never mention it again?

I did mention it again, in the second paragraph on page 6. With corruption already almost zero in most cities thanks to policemen, revolting wasn't going to help anything. I didn't have enough cities for Communism to make up the revolt time and get ahead.

What I'm also asking myself is what an AI does if it scores an SGL - will it always try to rush a great wonder, or will it use it for a broken age of science as well? One way to get a hint at that is if someone by chance catches an AI scoring one...

I keep meaning to check my saves and the replay to see if I can figure out anything towards that end. I'll try to remember tonight. They didn't rush a great wonder, but I think none were available to them. I'm also not even quite sure if that was indeed an SGL in Egypt's city. Finally, there is the possibility that the Age of Science might not actually be broken for AIs; whatever's causing the bug could be specific to the player.

Respond to this message   
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Tourney Mission Statement:
Existing Civ III tournaments, contests and group events are universally plagued by elements or shortcomings that lead often to compartmentalized results. Spoilers and privileged info is readily made available while games are still in progress. The game itself remains in flux through a patching process. The scoring system measures only a few elements of the gameplay. We at Realms Beyond are not satisfied to settle for these conditions and compromises.

The Realms Beyond is home to gamers who go beyond the norm, who creatively add depth to good games to make them better, who choose to set our own added limits to gameplay for the purpose of increasing challenge, varying gameplay flavor, and getting more out of the games we love. We discard the usual standards and venture into realms beyond, where we share our passion for gaming with one another, and with those who are like-minded.

We develop and refine our tournament as we go, with the help of the players. Each game is subject to rules, but we keep the framework light, the emphasis on excellence, the focus on the spirit of the game. Come and play. Share, compare, teach, and learn.