General

Return to Index  

Some General Findings

March 31 2004 at 7:04 PM
Ridgelake  (no login)
from IP address 66.67.143.6

Response to Ridgelake's Report

My game illustrates a problem that I have been having with C3C. The paucity of resources.

From reading the beta reports from people like Sullla, it seems as though Firaxis/Breakaway inadvertantly reduced the number of resources and luxuries when they created the new bonus tiles. Oasis, tobacco, etc. take the place of actual luxuries and resources.

The reduced luxuries make religion more important for happiness concerns. I find it a bit annoying, but tolerable. It might slightly unbalance things as the AI hires clowns instead of adjusting the lux slider as a human would.

But the much more severe issue is the resources. The AI cannot survive without them. The human can (assuming a non-Sid game and even then....) The reduced resources makes the game a crap shoot. Its all a question of who gets the resources.

A related issue is how poorly the AI defends its resources. It is so easy to come in and take the nearby city or at least pillage the site. Huge vulnerability that could be reasonably programmed around.

Another solution would be to reduce the trade cost of resources. Yes, they are valuable. But if they didn't cost so much, it would not cripple the economy of the buyer, thereby hamstringing them by other means. Though not in this game, I have killed the economy of a tech leader by selling them a resource. They never led again and fairly quickly became an also-ran civ. All because the economy was paying for a luxury. So reducing the trade value would substantially reduce this problem. It would also ensure that more civs got resources.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Some General Findings - Bede on Apr 1, 2004, 1:22 PM
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Tourney Mission Statement:
Existing Civ III tournaments, contests and group events are universally plagued by elements or shortcomings that lead often to compartmentalized results. Spoilers and privileged info is readily made available while games are still in progress. The game itself remains in flux through a patching process. The scoring system measures only a few elements of the gameplay. We at Realms Beyond are not satisfied to settle for these conditions and compromises.

The Realms Beyond is home to gamers who go beyond the norm, who creatively add depth to good games to make them better, who choose to set our own added limits to gameplay for the purpose of increasing challenge, varying gameplay flavor, and getting more out of the games we love. We discard the usual standards and venture into realms beyond, where we share our passion for gaming with one another, and with those who are like-minded.

We develop and refine our tournament as we go, with the help of the players. Each game is subject to rules, but we keep the framework light, the emphasis on excellence, the focus on the spirit of the game. Come and play. Share, compare, teach, and learn.