General

Return to Index  

Hrm...

April 1 2004 at 4:18 AM
Ozymandous  (no login)
from IP address 66.45.118.254

Response to Ah

Ah, would I guess right to think you enjoy civ1 / civ2 style "optimal city placement" where each gets their full 21 tiles to work? The more one tends to far apart placement, the more important a temple in each city gets by FAR. I've come to VERY MUCH like a 3-step placement between cities. The benefit to defense and war are tremendous. Also, when cities are 3 away that row of border gap you would expect between them will disappear - so you get to work any tile you want without needing a temple. So if I might generalize your thought... build a temple when you want to work more tiles. But as to the when, build a temple WHEN you NEED to work more tiles ASAP. See I don't disagree with a temple per city, and I very frequently eventually get a temple per core or second ring city, it's definitely NOT a high priority unless there is a lux or wheat sitting outside the border. In other words if the tile you pull in won't even be worked until it's size 6 or 7, build the temple when you're size 5 or 6.

So, do you like ICS much Charis, or is this a new fad?

Not trying to knock your playing style, but doesn't it somewhat unbalance the game and break the engine to place cities that close together? Why not just go 'whole hog' and place your cities 2 tiles away instead of three to get the full benefit, hmm?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Not going there - Charis on Apr 1, 5:51 AM
    1. "There" is Relevant to the Epics - Sirian on Apr 1, 5:15 PM
      1. Relevance? - Caesar_Augustus on Apr 1, 5:33 PM
        1. I suspect it's bigger than that - Griselda on Apr 1, 10:49 PM
        2. Reply - Sirian on Apr 2, 1:21 AM
          1. Sadly... - Ozymandous on Apr 5, 9:19 AM
            1. The Goal - Sirian on Apr 5, 10:34 AM
              1. The thought behind it. - Rik Meleet on Apr 9, 5:29 AM
      2. Still not going there - Charis on Apr 1, 11:50 PM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Tourney Mission Statement:
Existing Civ III tournaments, contests and group events are universally plagued by elements or shortcomings that lead often to compartmentalized results. Spoilers and privileged info is readily made available while games are still in progress. The game itself remains in flux through a patching process. The scoring system measures only a few elements of the gameplay. We at Realms Beyond are not satisfied to settle for these conditions and compromises.

The Realms Beyond is home to gamers who go beyond the norm, who creatively add depth to good games to make them better, who choose to set our own added limits to gameplay for the purpose of increasing challenge, varying gameplay flavor, and getting more out of the games we love. We discard the usual standards and venture into realms beyond, where we share our passion for gaming with one another, and with those who are like-minded.

We develop and refine our tournament as we go, with the help of the players. Each game is subject to rules, but we keep the framework light, the emphasis on excellence, the focus on the spirit of the game. Come and play. Share, compare, teach, and learn.