The facts

by Nick

Yeah the server crashed - I am not sure when - because there was absolutely no disk space left. Also because of this it was impossible for either Johny or myself to login remotely. Although we didn't understand why at the time - since we didn't know there was no disk space left.

In any case it is all fixed and going again. Which means you can all play now, and Johny once again has access to make changes/fixes/updates... I'm sorry I don't have the time to work on hiddenworld right now - but I really am really busy with other stuff. It's quite mad actually. I will have 2 weeks of actual holiday in august - 12th to 21st or something. I will definately spend some very serious time working on hiddenworld at that point. Not to say I won't do anything before then, but just so you all know that hiddenworld definately has not stopped altogether.

As a final note, I am contemplating starting work on a completely new version of the game engine - perhaps using Java. To do that I'd have to stay away from making changes to the current version...

Actually I posted a voting topic to this effect a while ago - but could people email me what they think about it - or just write stuff in this forum? Basically - would you prefer to have a CGI (web) interface like it is now (easiest - most versatile), or a java (also web - but would allow more real-time stuff) interface instead, or just a standalone application which connects everyone (fastest, definately real-time, but no longer possible to just play anywhere). I think the voting result was that a java interface was the best way to go. I don't remember exactly though.
In any case, porting it is a lot of work - so don't except a Java or application version of hiddenworld soon...

Posted on Jul 15, 2000, 9:09 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on Role PlayingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement