REGISTRATION/LOGIN IS NOT NECESSARY TO POST OR READ. ALL THREADS ARE MONITORED. INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL WILL BE REMOVED.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Forum  

Well?

July 7 2002 at 6:29 AM

(Login TB1479)

Alright so I'm starving for details here! How was the show? What did they play? Did Adam like his card? Did a lot of people go?

What? What? What?

I'm still so bummed I missed it. I'm his Biggest Fan I shoulda been there! I'm so upset. Stupid Disneyland. Stupid Hat Writing. Stupid co cast members for not calling out morning shifts and calling out closing shifts instead. *grumble grumble*

I'm just grumbling. Really I do love my job, but I so wanted to be there. I have a special surprise for Adam and I NEED to see his face when he gets it. I tried to arrange a surprise phone call but it fell thru.

I'm just so bummed and whining. Anyone wanna commiserate with me? I can't be there tonite either cuz I have to work again, same hours. Now I know how everyone else who can't go feels. It sucks. Horribly.

But I'm gonna do my damndest and try and get a shift change for next week. It won't be as good as going for the bday gig but at least I can give him his gift if I go. Gonna try real hard here.

*le sigh* Hope you had a good bday Adam and a very good show guys. I'm sorry I had to miss it. And I'm letting everyone know about it. *snicker*

*wuvs*

TB

Adam's Biggest Fan
ABC #1-Founder and Official Geek
ABC Version 1.0 Retro Adam
West Coast So Cal Common Ro Pimp
"Don't don't don't let's start this is the worst part. To believe for all the world, that you're my precious little girl. Don't don't don't let's start, I've got a weak heart. I can't get around till you get around."-"Don't Let's Start", They Might Be Giants covered by Common Rotation-
"It's not the size of the mic it's the length of the song."-"Rockstar", Common Rotation-
"What was so delicately touching was she recalled that I preferred it red."-"Burgandy", Common Rotation-
"I'm not a poet, nor a prophet though I dream from time to time. I'm an artist of illusion and I sketch a strange design.. So don't pay me with respect, just pay me with attention."-"Did A Verse End?", Common Rotation-
"When I was younger I used to get angry at all the girls. Now that I'm older, I just get angry at the world."-"Oklahoma", Common Rotation-

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Ex-cell-lent

July 7 2002, 11:25 AM 

I'm literally at a loss for how to express my amazement with this band's shows. I had fun at the Daddies shows in Eugene, and I got an inexplicable kick out of the Red Elvises (inexplicable to my friends, who couldn't understand the charm of such songs as "I Wanna See You Belly Dance"), to name a few, but nothing compares (out of my head NOW, Sinead) to these shows. Yelling appreciation has always been enough but now I'm left with a frustrated feeling I ought to be able to show more somehow. Music hits to the core without translation or pretension and every time I leave a show I wish I could respond in kind - but words are all I have, and they seem so insufficient.

Uhm, what I mean is they sucked. Really. You weren't missing a thing.

Can't keep that up long!

Last night's show was incredible. I don't know if Common Rotation played all these songs at the last show (which I didn't make it to), but the newer songs are more open somehow... more contemplative and more complex in many ways than their already rockin' earlier music. The next album will be one well loved and oft listened to, not just by me but by my little sister who loved the band and whose card to Adam I think I got a little carried away with. The music was playing and I couldn't help myself! blush Oh well... nichts nun zu machen! 'Cept to get the word out, of course.

So very inarticulate this morning! But I think I spoke my part, so I'll just move to the song list with a couple of notes to try and more fully replicate the experience for you.

My one vent? PEWS! This meant no dancing, except the stationary-white-man's-overbite-cha-cha-cha kind.

1) Post Modern
2) Did a Verse End?
3) Indie Rockin'
* When the show was over, Adam imitated breathless
musicians speaking unintelligibly between songs. <gasp, wheeze, gasp> "No one's ever rocked this hard before!"
4) Don't Let's Start
* Adam joked (at least somewhat) about how when he tries to be serious, everyone keeps expecting a punch line: "He's just f***ing with us! He's not sincere - I know this guy!"
5) Dedication - not the real title?
* or "why I'm so hairy" if you went by Adam's post-song ramblings
6) Union Dues
* Briel got lots of good Eric eye contact, which I'm sure would have made most of the less stout-hearted lasses swoon and then melt. But Briel's made of stern stuff, and simply smiled. Afterward, Adam: "Maybe I'm tired of looking like a Wall Street broker on crack." He took the guitar from Eric and fiddled around a bit before Eric came back on stage and took it over again. People cheered for Adam and he said not to encourage that kind of behavior, but it was fun and it did sound good, so why not express appreciation?
7) Not What We're Looking For (not the real title)
8) Ken Beck joined them for The First Time
9) Offstage Lines (beyond freakin' stellar)
* Eric seemed to be a little put off by the shrill yells of appreciation and asked basically, "Couldn't you just say, 'Yeah'?" To which Adam responded they couldn't control us so just had to go with us. He played military for a moment and asked stiffly, "Are you all having FUN?" The audience: "Sir, yes, sir!"
10) Lena
11) Savior, this time with a little bit of Eminem's "Let's Get Down to Business"
12) Sit Down
13) *No idea what this song is called (Princess of Venice, maybe?), but it was Eric singing by himself. The audience suddenly was comprised of ten guys since all the women had melted. I'm mostly impervious to these charms but I still think Eric just needs to bottle that up and sell it to the men. The added income would buy him a mansion or at least a nice Malibu beach home or nine.
14) Fortunate, as always the next-best-high-point -
Adam was still off-stage while Eric sang, and when he came on after the first verse, the audience sang Happy Birthday to him - great fun
15) Oklahoma with Adam joking about "Alanis Morisetting" it before really kicking in the groove. Anyone who has disregarded harmonicas in the past really needs to hear this so they can properly readjust their worldviews.
16) "Wrapped Up in You," sung down from the aisle to a most appreciative audience. I love these small venues, although even more than that I'd love to see 'em once in a while in sold-out hurkin' ones.

That was the show. Eric said tonight's is going to be pretty short by VR dictate, but what can be expected at the root of all evil that is the Viper Room? Still, I can't complain about a chance to see more Common Rotation. Anything that brings us the guys has to have some little bit of light left in 'em.

Both Eric and Adam took pictures with my 16-year-old sister, which alone made her Los Angeles trip worthwhile. She was practically glowing when we left (I think we all were) and I was once again pleased that these guys are not only great rockers but good guys. Sweet.

(Login TB1479)

Gah!

July 7 2002, 3:36 PM 

Deb,

Sounds like I missed one helluva show! Stupid work. I'm still very bummed about missing out. You did get pics right? And tell him how much I wish I coulda come, right? But but but I have excellent news!

Being a hat writer really has its advantages becuz since they are so desperate for us, I can basically call out on a regular shift and opt for a hat writing shift instead. S0 next Saturday my shift ends at 6:45 and it is 8 hours so they CAN'T extend me (that would go into overtime) and I do believe I can opt out of it if they try to extend me. So that means plenty of time to get all prettified to make the 14 Below Show! So I am off to go buy my tickets! *happy bounce* So looks like I can give Adam his special gift after all *snicker*

Oh and *snicker* at "why I'm so hairy" just reminds me of "pet the chest lawn." You have to be on LJ to find out why this is so funny but trust me, it's hilarious. *g*

I'm glad your sis had a good time and yay for new fans! Always good to spread the Common Ro Gospel

But I will be there next Saturday come hell or highwater.

Thanks for the recap. I was going stircrazy here. New songs sound great

*wuvs*

TB

Adam's Biggest Fan
ABC #1-Founder and Official Geek
ABC Version 1.0 Retro Adam
West Coast So Cal Common Ro Pimp
"Don't don't don't let's start this is the worst part. To believe for all the world, that you're my precious little girl. Don't don't don't let's start, I've got a weak heart. I can't get around till you get around."-"Don't Let's Start", They Might Be Giants covered by Common Rotation-
"It's not the size of the mic it's the length of the song."-"Rockstar", Common Rotation-
"What was so delicately touching was she recalled that I preferred it red."-"Burgandy", Common Rotation-
"I'm not a poet, nor a prophet though I dream from time to time. I'm an artist of illusion and I sketch a strange design.. So don't pay me with respect, just pay me with attention."-"Did A Verse End?", Common Rotation-
"When I was younger I used to get angry at all the girls. Now that I'm older, I just get angry at the world."-"Oklahoma", Common Rotation-

(Login Briel)

Superb!

July 7 2002, 6:59 PM 

***Quoting Deborah***

Union Dues
* Briel got lots of good Eric eye contact, which I'm sure would have made most of the less stout-hearted lasses swoon and then melt. But Briel's made of stern stuff, and simply smiled.

:blush: Eric's singing is awesome...I just hide my swooning and melting very well I guess! LOL I can't wait to see what he comes up with for a solo cd! I'll be the first in line. LOL

Last nights show was so amazing! Like Deborah said it is hard to put into words. I loved the new songs and can't wait until the next cd. Adam and Eric as well as the Professor were great. It was so fun singing Happy Birthday to Adam! Too bad there was no cake. yummy :p And also singing along to the songs I know (all except the new ones) is always fun.

I am so glad I will be seeing them again tonight. I don't know when I'll be able to visit again so unless they come to Sacramento or somewhere else near where I live I don't think I'll be seeing them for a while.
So guys try and stretch this thing out at the Viper Room as long as you can alright? :D

Common Rotation Rocks!!

justliketomdooley
(no login)

Re: Ex-cell-lent

July 8 2002, 11:59 AM 

"Yelling appreciation has always been enough but now I'm left with a frustrated feeling I ought to be able to show more somehow. Music hits to the core without translation or pretension and every time I leave a show I wish I could respond in kind - but words are all I have, and they seem so insufficient."

just wanted to pull this out again because you've said exactly what's on my mind. (words may be insufficient, but I can't even come up with that much). was just commenting to a friend that every show i see, i come away giong 'that was the best show ever!' How these guys continue to improve upon perfection is completely beyond me, but as somebody else was saying (and i so agree) every show is practically a religious experience. (maybe we should start calling ourselves the Seventh Day Mormonists). My new favorite song is Offstage Lines (is that what it's called?). Actually liked Genghis Cohen as a venue; the pews were weird but comfy enough, the smell of chinese food was odd, but the space was nice and intimate and the band was absolutely amazing. i don't know how they do it but i don't mind as long as they keep it up for a very long time to come.

Maya
(no login)

What Deb said

July 8 2002, 3:51 PM 

I wanted to reiterate what Deb said about the new material. Maybe it's that I've only seen the new stuff at these smaller acoustic shows, and that's changing my experience of it. But the new songs seem to show a new confidence in the group's songwriting ability. There's more honesty and less reliance on artifice and gimmick. There are fewer layers standing between the audience and the song. Don't get me wrong, I love the old tunes, but the new ones have my toe tapping and my heart squeezing. I'm really impressed by the growth, and am totally bummed that you are doing all these shows while I'm out of town.

~Maya
"artemis"
socal bronzer

Current Topic - Well?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Forum  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
REGISTRATION/LOGIN IS NOT NECESSARY TO POST OR READ. ALL THREADS ARE MONITORED. INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL WILL BE REMOVED.