REGISTRATION/LOGIN IS NOT NECESSARY TO POST OR READ. ALL THREADS ARE MONITORED. INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL WILL BE REMOVED.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Forum  

Free Show in Los Angeles Friday December 5th

December 4 2008 at 10:20 PM
Matt  (Login spiazza1)
Forum Owner

Friday December 5, 2008 - 7:00 PM
GOOD Magazine
6824 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles
California
US
Free

826LA Dead Author Readings w/ O. Henry

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Shapenew
(no login)

The Set

December 6 2008, 12:55 AM 

Good Magazine has only recently moved into its new offices. They've got a very nice performance space, and this was apparently only the second show they've had there. The show is affiliated with the Time Travel Mart, another in the Readings By Dead Authors series, contributing to the education of kids ages eight through eighteen who aren't getting everything they need from the school system.

Common Rotation was apparently a last-minute (or at least last day before the show) replacement for another act. The evening's lineup was Eric, Adam and Matt Young, totally off-mike. The opener was "Union Maid," with Adam on harmonica, Matt on stand-up bass and Eric on guitar. Adam and Eric sang deliberately softly, as if confiding a secret melodically, until they got to the "When you're lost out at sea" line. Eric also contributed a bit of scat singing at the end.

The second song was "Let Me Die With My Trumpet in My Hand." There was a brief new explanation for the song (Eric voiced an opinion). With the guitar and bass as the only instruments, it had a very country waltz feeling.

Then it was time for the Dead Author of the evening, in this case O. Henry, as interpreted by Mark Evan Jackson (of the Thrilling Adventure and Supernatural Suspense Hour and the disco version of "Indie Rockin'," among other things). We got the highlights of O. Henry's life, a reading of his short story "The Gift of the Magi" and a Q&A session.

Adam and Eric (no Matt) returned to sing "War on Christmas."

Matt came back for "How to Lose," which had very deep bass and (at least it seemed to me) more complex guitar finger-picking than usual.

They finished up with "Bitter Honey," Adam on harmonica again, Matt playing percussive bass and both chiming in on the chorus while Eric sang lead.

Everyone seemed in very good spirits and they're still working on the Common Rotation/Dustbowl Cavaliers combo album.

Shapenew

watcher652
(no login)

Re: Free Show in Los Angeles Friday December 5th

December 6 2008, 11:07 AM 

As always, thanks for the detailed report, Shapenew.

Anonymous
(no login)

December 7 2008, 7:19 AM 

thanks shapenew! all off-mic sounds special happy.gif
I just took to reading some festive Henry O! he was quite the storyteller! happy.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

December 7 2008, 7:22 AM 

Oh!
O Henry
that is
ho ho ho.

Melissa
(no login)

December 9 2008, 3:36 PM 

Great show. Have heard rave reviews from the fellow staff members at GOOD who attended (...I'm sure the non-staff enjoyed it as well). Thanks for the CD, have been playing it quite a bit. You've got a new fan. Hope you enjoy the magazine... now I'm off to my 12:30 ping-pong meeting. -Melissa

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Forum  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
REGISTRATION/LOGIN IS NOT NECESSARY TO POST OR READ. ALL THREADS ARE MONITORED. INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL WILL BE REMOVED.