<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Religulous

October 6 2008 at 1:50 PM
Jules  (no login)

With Bill Maher - Funny in a sad but true way.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sleaze McQueen
(no login)

Loved it!

October 6 2008, 5:17 PM 

I read a lot of ho-hum reviews of it, but after seeing it I realized the reviewers just didn't get it. It's not a burning look into religion a'la Michael Moore. It's not a history of religion a'la Ken Burns.

Instead, it's a call-to-arms for Agnostics to come out of the closet and quit acting like blind faith is something to be respected. It is a mobilizing force for us to stop dumbing ourselves down out of fear of making others uncomfortable.

4.5 out of 5 cookies.

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

Re: Loved it!

October 6 2008, 5:29 PM 

I kinda like Bill Maher, but the previews look so dickish.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

October 6 2008, 10:57 PM 

They do. I like Bill, sometimes. And I understand the point of this movie, I guess. But the fact remains that I just wish he would believe what he wants, and stop trying to cut people down and make them look like idiots because they believe in a higher power. If people want God in their lives, and that makes them happy and try to be better people...is that really so offensive/annoying? Do we really need a crusade to tell them how silly they are?

Respond to this message   
Spaz
(no login)

October 7 2008, 6:06 AM 

I don't believe that "that" was the point Dante. It was more of a "believe in what you want, just don't cram it down peoples throat". Like, say, Scientology.

On the other side, no, Bill didn't need to make a movie about it. But he's not trying to cram it down your throat either.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

October 7 2008, 12:27 PM 

I never commented on what I thought the point of the movie was (I guess you misread), so I will here:

The point, as I understand it, is to demonstrate that organized religion is bad mainly because of the violence that happens the world over in the name of someone's god. I take issue with this because innumerable things contribute to violence, and violence committed by devout whatevers really constitutes less than 1% of believers, not to mention the fact that there is no religion that in it's true teachings advocates violence of any kind.

As for Bill not cramming it down people's throats...are you crazy? It's what the guy does. Even on his show, even if he is in the middle of a political debate that you wouldn't think had anything to do with the gospel...he'll feel the need to work it in there. Some subtle jab to Jesus or Allah or whatever. There has never been anything subtle about him. The fact that this movie exists is him cramming it down people's throats. You know good and well that if there were a movie with an opposing viewpoint, telling people why they should believe in Christ, or whatever, he would be all over it tearing it apart on his TV show, or whatever outlet.

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

October 7 2008, 2:37 PM 

I just think its funny that this opened opposite of American Carol - two what appear to be piece of shit movies from opposite sides of the political spectrum.

(Conservative Heroes that Kelsey Grammar and Jon Voight! putting their careers on the line to buck the Hollywood liberals! Finding time between blowing coke off of whore's asses and having daughters who hate you to become Conservative Heroes! Heroes I tell ya!)

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

October 7 2008, 3:31 PM 

Bill's movie did really well when you think about it. Statistically, it was the number two movie (because it appeared only on 500 screens). And I have a feeling that Bill's flick is probably pretty well put together, but AMC looks like an absolute turd of a movie.

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

October 7 2008, 5:05 PM 

I heard that Myke Macino's mom can be seen in the background slurping donkey cocks to completion in AMC. A conservative's job is never done!

Respond to this message   
Spaz
(no login)

October 11 2008, 8:12 PM 

Nice one Smirk. YouTube it.

Respond to this message   

(Login Luna_1985)
Angels

October 12 2008, 6:15 PM 

I saw it this weekend.

It was alright. Felt like a long episode of New Rules from Real Time.

Anyway it brought up a few good points. And I had no idea there was a Bible World in Florida. Anyway, Mormons give me the creeps. And of course here's why.

(Snippets of this was in the film):

Respond to this message   

Anne
(Login CrackSpidersBitch)
Angels

October 13 2008, 2:10 AM 

Wow. I didn't know that story at all or if I ever did learn it I forgot. All I know about Mormons is to avoid them when they knock on the door. Eloheem sure did a lot of sexin and the part about dark people whooaaaaa!!

I'm glad someone started a thread about Religulous because I'm a Bill Maher fan but has anyone found it streaming online yet?

Respond to this message   
TTG
(no login)

October 15 2008, 8:21 AM 

Yeah the "Dark Skinned" part really threw me for a loop.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Religulous
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index