<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Public Enemies

July 3 2009 at 9:34 AM
  (Login shawayway)

I was really looking forward to this movie. I was dissapointed to say the least. It was confusing, there didn't seem to be much of a plot and the character development was lacking. Depp was good as always. Also too long. I would love to see some other opinions on this movie, because I really wanted to enjoy this movie. I usually enjoy movies for what the are, but this one fell flat for me. I feel like I may need to give this one another chance, but I need some convincing.

RIP Billy Mays

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dante Bean
(no login)

Re: Public Enemies

July 5 2009, 8:20 PM 

This was great.

What were you confused by? Not much of a plot? Were we watching the same movie?

Anyway, it should be noted that this isn't really a biopic on John Dillinger as it is the story of the creation of the FBI as a result of Dillinger and Company's Depression era antics. Good stuff, rarely a dull moment. Depp and Bale were great, and so was Billy Crudup who I didn't know was in it before going in.

The action sequences were great, Mann has this down. The log cabin scene was excellent. Not quite the shootout in downtown LA from Heat, but not terribly far off either.

Michael Mann really redeemed himself with me. His take on Miami Vice is one of only three movies I've ever walked out on in my life. This is in his upper tier of work, just below Heat and The Insider for me.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

Re: Public Enemies

July 5 2009, 11:40 PM 

I should also admit just a tick of bias in that this movie had an incredible advantage, being the one I saw after Transformers 2, which can make anything look like the best movie of all time by comparison.

Respond to this message   
S
(no login)

I didn't get it

July 18 2009, 12:12 PM 

I saw with zero expectation, and without knowing or reading anything about. My wife was psyched about seeing the latest Johnny movie, so we went.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about, or the decent reviews this movie's been getting. Zero character development. I didn't care about any of the protagonists. I was obviously supposed to root for Johnny, yet I couldn't wait for him to get caught. There was nothing even remotely cool about him. Just a loser with no plans to do anything with his life. I guess I was supposed to be seduced by the fact that he doesn't like to kill people and gives some dude $ 10 back after robbing the bank?

The chick was uninteresting as well. Their intense passion seemed completely artificial. She's introduced as a strong, honest, independent woman, yet she had no problem living off stolen money. Clearly, she was with Johnny for the cash because the movie didn't show any other factor in her decision to stick with him.

Bale was terrible. Just terrible.

All would have been forgiven if the pace and action were right. But I was bored 15 minutes in, started looking at my watch another 15 minutes later, and was ready to walk out at the 60 minute mark.

The most boring thing I've watched in a while.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Public Enemies
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index