<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Kick Ass

April 17 2010 at 12:17 AM
Dante Bean  (no login)

Awesome. I have no complaints other than at two hours, it does wear thin. All the "controversy" around this movie makes me ill. I really don't know how a kid with a potty mouth overshadows some of the things modern cinema is capable of these days. In recent years I've seen a mother get raped while a handgun was held to her infant's head, but nary a blip on the radar about that scene or ones like it. And after seeing it it makes Ebert's bogus review even more annoying, and there are flat out lies in it to make his point sound better. Literally made up. Ugh.

Funny movie, the story is surprisingly great, it is Hit Girl's movie, that friend form Hot Tub Time Machine is awesome, the action and set pieces are incredible (30 million bucks for this blows my mind, it looks like a 100mil movie), one of the best to come out this year. My friend I went with said it's the best movie he's seen since Dark Knight. I'd write a review proper, but I'm sure Todd is seeing it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Angry Man
(no login)

Re: Kick Ass

April 17 2010, 2:25 AM 

Saw this last night. Was not too keen on going as I had not seen a trailer, and the poster looked pathetic, but I heard it was getting rave reviews and thought I would check it out.

In short, the movie is the most entertaining I've seen in years. It switches from goofy comedy to extreme violence so fast your head spins. The plot was unexpectedly good. The main characters were likeable. The fights were well choreographed and cleanly filmed. No unwatchable shaky-cam to compensate for the director's lack of skill, as we see in all to many movies now. Hit Girl is an instant classic.

Highly recommended... for adults, that is. I will definitely NOT be taking my nephew to this one.

(This brings Nick Cage's total of good films to 2)

Respond to this message   
TTG
(no login)

April 17 2010, 2:40 AM 

Angry man if you are saying the other good movie he's done is Raising Arizona then I'm on board. Dante you son of a gun you watched this opening night? you're waaayyy more dedicated than me, and I thought I was the resident comic book nerd... I guess I'll have to step up my efforts. But yes I'm pumped to see this movie, and it came out on my middle brother's birthday so I couldn't see it (we had to go out and drink and stuff) but i will be seeing it soon, I'm hoping for good things.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

April 17 2010, 11:38 AM 

I had planned to wait til Sunday, but I got off work early yesterday, and I called in for the first half of today (for Record Store Day! recordstoreday.com, get out there!), so I couldn't resist.

Also, The Weather Man, Lord of War, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Bringing out the Dead, The Rock (best action movie, evar!), Con Air, Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Trapped in Paradise, in addition to Raising Arizona and a couple others. Cage gets too much hate!

Respond to this message   
Smirk
(no login)

April 17 2010, 11:59 AM 

Nick Cage is a totally unreliable actor in that he has done some really awesome work as Dante has mentioned, and then he'll totally slum in not just mediocre films, but downright horrible films like, Next. Sometimes I wonder if its not intentional. He was also very good in Peggy Sue Got Married - one of his early roles. But really, he carried that whole movie and was the only truly interesting character in it.

Respond to this message   
Captainbob
(no login)

April 17 2010, 5:54 PM 

Saw it. Way better than expected. I think Todd should see it. Imagine he'd like it.

Respond to this message   

(Login thatturkishguy)
AAA

April 18 2010, 12:49 PM 

Two words:

Ghost Rider

Respond to this message   

Afro Autobot
(Login Afro_Autobot)
AAA

April 18 2010, 3:20 PM 

I went to see this film last night. Awesome! To comment on what Dante said earlier about Hit Girl's "potty mouth" - who cares! Geez! When I was growing up, there were kids swearing like it was nothing, and yes I agree that there are films that portray far extreme graphic scenes.

This film is proof that you can't judge a film based on its trailer. Well paced, funny, and not boring at all. I'd love to read Todd's take on this.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

April 18 2010, 5:53 PM 

Two words:

Hollywood Homicide

Respond to this message   

(Login thatturkishguy)
AAA

April 18 2010, 6:13 PM 

That was a piece of cinema gold and you know it...

Respond to this message   
Afro Autobot
(no login)

April 18 2010, 6:13 PM 

No arguement there.

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Angry Man
(no login)

April 18 2010, 7:41 PM 

No, Nick Cage's only other good film was Bringing Out the Dead. Awesome film.

It's impossible to forgive tripe like Con Air and The Rock.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

April 18 2010, 8:02 PM 

Con Air was delicious camp. A great, entertaining "we know its so bad it's good" type movie. John Malkovitch as The Virus seals it. The Rock I don't consider bad camp, I think it's an awesome movie.

Jack disapproves of you:

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login thatturkishguy)
AAA

April 19 2010, 7:59 AM 

What's with the two homeless looking dudes behind him? Jack keeps some creepy company.

Respond to this message   
Afro Autobot
(no login)

April 19 2010, 12:29 PM 

Looks like Todd, already has his review for Kick-Ass ready. Two and a half cookays. I have some important real life stuff to get done before I can read it.

It would be coolio if he made a toon based on the film, like he did with 'The Matrix':

http://www.oddtodd.com/indexmat.html

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

April 20 2010, 8:38 PM 

Respond to this message   
MEbossyouNOT
(no login)

April 22 2010, 2:29 AM 

Just saw it. yadda yadda hit girl steals the show. Not that I dont appreciate the nihilistic dork-hipster vibe to it all but seriously it seemed like anyone on this message board could have made this exact movie. The average moviegoers more or less agree on the coolest moments in films. Just regurgitating every cool thing you remember from movies you've seen doesn't automatically make your movie worthwhile even as a parody. That's why this flick, while fun to watch, is more forgettable than one from Tarantino or the maker of Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz.

And what was with all the music lifted from Danny Boyle films? The themes from 28 days later and Sunshine were all over this thing.

Is fetishizing little girls with guns the new big thing in hollywood? All the most recent flicks starring the best preteenage female actresses have had them toting firearms. Dakota Fanning handled a pair of .45s in Push, Abigail Breslin carried a shotgun around in Zombieland. And now this new chick. Its like after Kill Bill its not enough anymore to make your badass who massacres truckloads of goons just a female. She has to be way underage now to impress anybody. Hell, anyone who's remotely familiar with japanese anime could have told hollywood that decades ago. Is there any sensible movie watcher who couldn't love watching a little girl kicking major adult ass? I'm surprised the trend didnt catch on more quickly after Luc Besson's The Professional came out and Natalie Portman charmed the pants off of american viewers playing a prepubescent but trigger-happy girl.

Next it will be ass-kickin little babies. ....Oh wait they already started that trend with Jack-Jack in The Incredibles...

Respond to this message   

(Login thatturkishguy)
AAA

April 22 2010, 2:41 AM 

OK I haven't seen the movie but i think I'd like it.

MeBossy I have to say i look forward to your posts. You've been around as long as I have if not longer and just when i think you've moved on I see the old tag mebossynotyou, keep up the posting.

I may be a tad drunk (that's a definite) but we need more thoughtful regulars around here, not saying I'm one. I guess I register as the lovable resident troll, or something along those lines. I tend to see all the movies that are forgotten or watched years ago and are no longer relevant.

Dunno where I'm going with this but I refuse to hit the back space damn it. Point being glad to see a post from you again and i think kickass would be a worthy addition to comic book movies. Now I'll try and add some content.

My top 5 list of comic book movies:

1. Iron Man
2. Road to Perdition
3. Sin City
4. Dark Night
5. Spider-Man 2

Respond to this message   
Afro Autobot
(no login)

One Kick-Ass Dad

May 1 2010, 11:10 PM 

Here's a recent review of both the film and the comic series that it was based on. The review talks about the development of Big Daddy.

Warning to those who haven't seen the movie, there are spoilers in this:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/20668-e26kickass

Respond to this message   
S
(no login)

May 2 2010, 6:00 PM 

I'm shocked by the amount of buzz this thing has been getting. I mean, Hit Girl was great, and the core concepts could have lead to a great movie had it been directed by a guy like Tarantino, but this thing is just B-grade crap.

Directing and editing were awful. Worst I've seen in a while. Shots dragging on for too long, bland acting, no rhythm, every 'joke' falling flat. Downright boring and embarrassing outside of the couple action scenes. Acting was just OK - but there, too, I would blame poor direction.

To me, this doesn't even qualify as a DVD rental.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

May 2 2010, 9:29 PM 

You don't qualify as a DVD rental to me.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
S
(no login)

May 3 2010, 4:00 PM 

Hmmm... alright then!
I'm not sure what that even means.

Respond to this message   
Brad
(no login)

November 12 2010, 12:11 PM 

I just saw this on DVD last night. I almost didn't watch it because of OddTodd's review. He's usually pretty close to me when it comes to movies. I think he's dead wrong on this one. One of the best movies I've seen all year. I think my wife liked it as much as I did. Hit Girl definitely stole the show. The ending did fall flat on me. Everything up until the end all followed the "could really happen", but the big toy Kick Ass used in one of the final scenes stepped too far out of that box. All in all, I'd give it 4 cookays.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Kick Ass
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index