<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

John Carter

March 7 2012 at 9:35 AM

Afro  (Login Afro_Autobot)
Team Everything

Is John Carter another generic science fiction flick or will it offer something new to the table?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

Re: John Carter

March 7 2012, 10:18 AM 

I think this is gonna go down as a top 5 money loser of all time...

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

March 7 2012, 10:52 AM 

I'm going with Todd on this one. They started pushing it really early. It feels like I started seeing previews of this over a year ago. I'm curious that it might bring something new to the table, however I'm getting a vibe of Prince of Persia married to Attack of the Clones off of it from the trailers.

Probably will be a total stinker - but there's always that small chance.

Respond to this message   

Afro
(Login Afro_Autobot)
Team Everything

March 7 2012, 12:33 PM 

Thanks Smirk. happy.gif

Yeah, I think I'll skip this one as well. Why is it that movies are meh this time of year?

As for the Hunger Games, I'm on the fence for that one.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

March 7 2012, 4:03 PM 

I think it'll suck but I also think it'll at least earn back its budget and wouldn't be surprised if it's a huge hit, globally anyway.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

March 10 2012, 6:17 PM 

Welp you called it. It tanked. It'll have to be a huge hit in Europe to overcome this.

Respond to this message   
Afro
(no login)

March 13 2012, 9:06 AM 

You were right Dante. Yesterday I read an article on my smart phone that this movie didn't do well at the box office.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

March 13 2012, 2:06 PM 

Todd was.

Respond to this message   

Afro
(Login Afro_Autobot)
Team Everything

March 13 2012, 3:46 PM 

Yeah, but you went into specifics.

Respond to this message   
TTG
(no login)

March 14 2012, 1:13 AM 

That sucks, wasn't the concept like a reverse alien flick? Kind of liked the idea of a human goes to mars and wrecks house due to the lower gravity, that was the basic plot right?

O and greetings from Singapore

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

March 14 2012, 7:50 AM 

I stumbled across this Singaporian (?) movie, Haunted Changi, back in October and thought it was pretty good. Probably could have had about 15 to 20 minutes cut out of it to tighten it up. Its like Singapore Paranormal Activity I suppose.

Being the ignorant American that I am, I never realized that Singapore was essentially an English-speaking country until I watched this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1810636/

Here it is for free. http://stagevu.com/video/ogoqvwtgxxuw

Don't get haunted or some shit out there Turk~!

Respond to this message   
TTG
(no login)

March 14 2012, 9:55 PM 

haha I'll try not to, also "I ain't afraid of no ghost!" Yeah Singapore is like a combination of a bunch of different places. India, South Pacific, Arabia all speaking versions of English and whatever their native tongue is. It reminds me of a classier Vegas, weird place but today I leave for Malaysia which should be a tad more sane.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

March 15 2012, 10:18 AM 

"a classier Vegas"

I'm intrigued. You have a blog or anything you're writing up travel dispatches on you can link to? If not, you can feel free to post adventures here at the movay board. Drunk or sober, we don't care.

Respond to this message   
TTG
(no login)

March 18 2012, 10:21 PM 

My travelling buddy has a blog that he's updating.

www.toddgoesplaces.com

I'm keeping one of them old person's blogs with a pen and paper, but I'll post stuff here every now and again if you want. I also have this:

http://map.trackingtheworld.com/bmap.aspx?name=326762

Which shows where I am and updates every five minutes. Right now we're on Tioman Island small place off the coast of Malaysia. We ran out of ringgitts the other day and had to hike through friggin rain forest to get to the nearest "bank" to get some more. Cool place though you can stay in a room over hanging the water for like $25 a night. I think I'm hijacking this thread so I'll just post in my pilgrimage thread any updates.

This message has been edited by thatturkishguy on Mar 20, 2012 6:59 AM

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

March 19 2012, 1:35 AM 

I'm sure it'll be more successful than John Carter.

Respond to this message   
Barkenstein
(no login)

March 19 2012, 11:44 PM 

I thought John Carter was a pretty good flic.

Movie critics suck ass.

Respond to this message   

Afro
(Login Afro_Autobot)
Team Everything

March 22 2012, 2:52 PM 

Carter may be Hollywood's biggest loser

REUTERS -- Ultra competitive movie studios rarely want to sit atop this box office list. When the Walt Disney Co. said on Monday that it expected its sci-fi movie to lose about US$200 million, it very likey shot the intergalactic box office bomb to the top of Hollywood's biggest loser chart.

If so -- and box office math is always a little tricky in Tinseltown - the megaflop would achieve iconic status by surpassing the 1995 Geena Davis-Matthew Modine pirate flick Cutthroat Island that the Guinness Book of World Records lists as the biggest bomb of all-time. That movie lost US$147 million.

Infamous misfires like director Ron Howard's The Alamo, Eddie Murphy's The Adventures of Pluto Nash, the Matthew McConaughey-Penelope Cruz action film Sahara and director Robert Zemeckis' 2011 anited film Mars Needs Moms all passed the dubious $140 million loss threshold.

Of course, any movie box office list is subject to serious interpretation. The Wikipedia list, for instance, has converted the film's ticket sales to inflation-adjusted 2012 dollars, but includes only world-wide box office and not DVD or TV sales.

"Then there's the issue of Hollywood accounting," said Keith Simanton, managing editor of movie data site IMDb.

"You never really know what a budget os for any of these films because Hollywood isn't very open with its numbers. Directionally, though, these are definitely near the top of any list of worst films."

Sometimes it's not revenues that sink a film. Director Andrew Stanon's movie has a reasonably strong $184 million worldwide box office, so far.

The key problem for John Carter was that it cost more than $350 million to produce and market, according to industry sources, who say even that number is likey understated.

There can be no doubt John Carter will go down in history as a box office bomb, and with its enterance into Hollywood's Hall of Shame, it is interesting to note that six of the top 15 movie misfires have been since 2005, when Hollywood has been in high gear with pricey, special effects budgets.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - John Carter
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index