<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hollywood is Dead

April 20 2012 at 9:18 AM

Afro  (Login Afro_Autobot)
Angels

With the state that movies are nowadays, it's clear that lessons from directors, producers and writers from the past (60's, 70's, and 80's) need to be learned.

This message has been edited by Afro_Autobot on Apr 20, 2012 10:32 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
smirk
(no login)

Re: Hollywood is Dead

April 20 2012, 9:30 AM 

Completely disagree. We have more content now than ever before. This creates niche markets which you may think are shit, but they attract the audience they are intended for.

Television is way better than it ever was before. Shows like Mad Men, Walking Dead, The Killing, are as good as anything put out by the Scorcese's and Coppola's in the 70's.

Nolan's take on the Dark Knight is as good as anything from that "golden" era you refer to.

I have a friend who does this same blanket criticism of today's music on Facebook. A week ago he quoted Nicki Minaj's "Stupid Hoe" alongside Led Zeppelin's "Rain Song" as definitive proof of the end of culture as we know it. All I can do is shake my head and think, "dude, when did you let yourself get so old" - as though his "golden" era didn't contain tripe.

Respond to this message   

Afro
(Login Afro_Autobot)
Angels

April 20 2012, 10:30 AM 

Okay, I admit Smirk, what I said was overly generalized. You're right, we do have more stuff compared to 40 years ago. Not only that, more people can access this content through other forms of media (e.g. smartphone, tablets, etc.).

I actually loved the new revamped Batman films, so what I said before make me a hypocrite. sad.gif

I felt that artists in the past took time with their craft, were nowadays its mass produced. But you're right; I was missing the big picture.

People have different tastes, and while some tastes may not appeal to others, at least there is something for them.

Hell, the music I listen to would probably make some roll their eyes in disgust.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

April 20 2012, 9:26 PM 

Hear this argument with movies and music constantly. I find it completely untrue for both.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index