<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Master

July 25 2012 at 9:52 AM

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

Gotta give it the benefit of the doubt I'm thinking...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dante Bean
(no login)

Re: The Master

July 25 2012, 1:34 PM 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/192395/thread/1338838868/last-1338903580/The+Master+trailer+-+wow

Benefit of the doubt? Why? It looks awesome and PTA rarely disappoints. Phoenix and Hoffman are both awesome. Very excited.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

September 10 2012, 10:11 AM 

NSFW...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5bBOhxhea0

embeddingbroken

master clip

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

September 10 2012, 6:09 PM 

Pretty sure I know which clip it is without clicking since I'm at work.

The reviews have been great so far, but the public screenings have been pretty bad, so I've heard.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

September 12 2012, 8:52 AM 

I've been doing a media blackout on the reviews... I'll write one up for this one after i see it..

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

September 14 2012, 7:48 AM 

Heard the NPR review this morning. Dare I say this movie is probably a masterpiece of awesome?

The director of the greatest movie ever made, Boogie Nights, has made exactly one slip up - Punch Drunk Love. God that movie blows.

Magnolia, although hard to watch because all of the characters are in such intense pain, has so many memorable moments and he really juices that cast.

There Will Be Blood - I don't think I can add anything about that movie that hasn't already been said.

The subject matter + the cast + PT = how can this not be good?

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

September 15 2012, 2:14 AM 

Totally with you, hate Punch Drunk, love the others.

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

September 16 2012, 1:23 PM 

Its kinda like his other movies are so full of greatness, that all of the shit came out in that one film - which I guess is a good thing.

Kinda like Twins, where Danny Devito is all the bad genes to Schwarzenegger's perfection.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

September 19 2012, 7:45 AM 

Seeing this weekend finally ... I feel like it's going to be a short life in terms of hype...

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

September 19 2012, 10:18 AM 

I read the Rolling Stone review this morning. That dude was jizzing in his pants over it.

Respond to this message   
smirk
(no login)

September 22 2012, 5:07 PM 

Ebert gave this thing 2 1/2 stars. I think the truth lies somewhere in between Ebert and Rolling Stone.

The movie meanders along and has its enthralling moments, but I never felt like I was completely with it, and as "funny" as it is I only chuckled, I think, twice. Its funny all right. One thing I like about PT is his movies will seem to be meander and then really tie things up at the end - often in one final brilliant scene. This move didn't have that end - it didn't seem to have a real end at all. There were several times before then ending that it could have ended and it would have ended just as unsatisfyingly satisfactory.

I'm sure that it will have its rabid fans in the coming months though who will really dig into it, the visual symbolism that's all over it, some of it I caught, some of it I'm sure I missed.

For the "film" crowd, its definitely a must-see, but all others will probably be happier at something else.

I was struck by how, at times, Phoenix's face and expressions really matched Lewis' from PT's previous movie. Like, scary - and also I'm thinking sort of intentional. Both characters were strong and unpredictable, even frightening, but whereas Lewis was razor-sharp intelligent, Phoenix is probably just a few IQ points higher than Gump.

I don't know. I'm torn. Good movie but not quite reaching the heights of BN or TWBB.

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(no login)

September 22 2012, 5:47 PM 

Saw it.

Better than Punch Drunk, not as good as Magnolia, Boogie or TWBB.

It's just good, no better no worse, and honestly only worth watching for Joaquin/Hoffman, which is every bit as impressive as you've heard. If it weren't for the performances it wouldn't be worth seeing at all. A noble disappointment.

Respond to this message   
A Citizen
(no login)

September 23 2012, 12:20 AM 

It's the thinking man's version of Step Brothers...

I seriously wonder if it's a black comedy- Hoffman and Phoenix were like these two:

[linked image]

I was laughing for most of the last act- it was totally ridiculous.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login oddtodd7)
Forum Owner

September 25 2012, 10:14 AM 

OKAY for real seeing it this week...

I can't believe it's taken me this long

Respond to this message   

Arwen
(Login jeannien)
Angels

March 25 2013, 12:29 PM 

Just saw this yesterday.

It sure was...something.

I didn't see the point in any of it and the end, what the hell was that?

If Joaquin's hand hasn't officially been stamped "INSANE", he sure plays one with the authenticity of someone that knows exactly what it's like.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login Smirkdirk)
Devils

March 26 2013, 9:43 AM 

Now so many months later, the only thing that sticks out in this movie for me was the way Phoenix held his hands on his hips - backwards -

Respond to this message   
Dante Bean
(Login DanteBean)
Devils

March 26 2013, 8:55 PM 

Interview scene is probably the best all last year.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Master
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index