Return to Index  

She was humiliated because she realized they were right....

August 25 2011 at 10:45 AM
Carolyn  (Login carolyn40)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to She was stunned and humiliated????

Yeah she told everyone that she had been using the "on the corner" protocol for her own convenience and that she was stunned that she had done so. Her friends were just very concerned for the son, and their intervention was out of love and "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality. Because even in a very safe community, there are cars and sex offenders and all other manner of risks to our kids. No community is immune, and no neighborhood is immune. So we parents have to weigh the benefits and risks of things we allow our kids to do, which include the important factor of allowing our kids some freedom as well. While I think that every parent has to decide what works for them, I also think it can be helpful to have input from friends if they are concerned about your child's safety. I'd rather have them come to me directly than judge me behind my back, even if I ultimately disagree with them.

The Jaycee Dugard case weighs heavily on my mind in making my decisions about my kids walking alone. She was 11 and in a safe, rural community. I struggle with the minute risk of something like that happening - I know it is very, very rare. But to those families it happens to, it doesn't seem rare at all.

This message has been edited by carolyn40 on Aug 25, 2011 5:53 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement