Return to Index  

Thinking of you

September 9 2011 at 12:57 PM
Fleur  (Login 1234Fleur)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to Thanks!

She sounds a lot like my DD. My DD is great in school and listens to teachers and does what she is asked without issue. She is also a wonderful helper in school and I always get complements on her behavior.

Lots of kids can keep it together while in school but when they get home they melt down and let it all hang out.

Look for times during the day when it's happening and see if there is a pattern. Also, she might be hungry, thirsty or just tired and not know it until it's too late. See if food helps.

My DD also has had an issue with transitioning from one thing to the next, it's gone through phases and I have her struggle with the easiest things and then do great other times.

One thing that does help is to tell your DD in advance that in "X" minutes she is going to take a shower, or eat dinner, or whatever it is that she will need to transition to. You might start it a 1/2 hr. in advance and then tell her you will give her another reminder in 15 minutes, and maybe a final 5 minute reminder. This will help her prepare for the transition and hopefully make things flow easier. It might help. You have to be consistent and keep a few timers around. My DD likes to set the timer on my iPhone and select the ring herself - and we use this with her tutor as well. I think part of it is a control issue so this is a win-win.

I'm sure you know that ADHD is a blanket name that covers many issues and people can have many or all of the symptoms. Look into executive functioning skills and working memory. All very interesting reading and might help you figure out what is going on.

Also how is her sleep? Does she fall asleep easily or does she become oppositional? She many need more sleep. You can try to use a hot pack or a cold pack around her neck - it help bring the melatonin naturally into the body and can help induce sleeping.

The other thing could be a sensory issue. You mentioned she talked a lot - does she like the TV really loud? Is she loud?

Look online and read more about that.

Hope this helps....

This message has been edited by 1234Fleur on Sep 9, 2011 1:11 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on ParenthoodCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement