Return to Index  

Happy to help

September 9 2011 at 7:01 PM
Fleur  (Login 1234Fleur)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to Well, special ed is my field, but...

I've been reading quite a bit and have gathered lots of info over the past few years. happy.gif You don't need a dx unless - you need accommodations for school, or if you think trying medication might help her. (I'm thinking she might be very young and not sure you want to go that route, but it's nice to know it's an option if you need it.) I'm sure you already know all this since it is your field - but if you can find out all the issues she is struggling with you can pinpoint the specific areas and then work on them with her... that's why I mentioned being loud and liking things louder than normal, the seam on the socks are classic sensory issues. Does she have a hard time sitting still, getting out of her seat many times, like a wiggly worm?

DD is excellent in school but sometimes has a hard time at home, but it's getting better now --- I know what areas she needs help with. After school can be a tough time - "witching hour" as many things are happening with limited time frame all at once, HW, dinner, bath/bed... I try to keep to a timetable and a routine as much as possible, but it's not easy. I also try to watch for possible meltdowns in advance and try to deal with one before they happen - also not easy. Redirecting or using the timer, or letting her know in advance of whatever....like for bedtime, shower, whatever. It's much more mental work for you, but it will be worth it.

We also try to be flexible bad times of the day and let her make some decisions like what HW to do 1st - I think I mentioned some of it is control issue and some of it she can't help. ADHD can make you wired and you are going 100 mph and like multitasking all at the same time, not sure what to first, the same with sensory issues and overload. Lots of kids with these issues talk loud, and like everything loud and are just energizer bunnies!!
She gets her 2nd wind about now (7:00) and has a tough time winding down, they also don't need a lot of sleep , which is pretty funny as the parents are the ones who are exhausted!!!! Having a high maintenance child is not easy, but you are ahead of the game now --- happy.gif Good job!

Oh, You can get her seamless socks, I think stride rite or nordstroms sells them. (We don't have that issue, but she prefers sandals/flip flops over socks and shoes, doesn't like long pants either.) She's also very picky about clothes in general. With the exception of her school uniform I take her with me when we go shopping so she can try it on and be sure its comfy before I buy it. I also don't take the tag off anything new until she tries it on again at home and it positive she will wear it.

Hope this helps more...

hugs....

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on ParenthoodCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement