Return to Index  

Help !

October 13 2011 at 8:52 AM
Victoria  (Login FishDr)
*HFP Mommies*

Please help !! I have been speaking with DS's teacher about motivators. This was her comment today .... this is the Spanish immersion teacher, he's with her half of the day. He finds it difficult and boring (his words) but he's learning a lot and loves telling us his new Spanish words etc. We know that he's having focus issues in this class .... any thoughts on the e-mail below ? She is a lovely teacher BTW, kind, warm, smart, I really want to get DS to pay attention !

" ..... in my room it is extremely difficult to get ----- to pay attention. During the 25 minute whole group instruction we are usually practicing our phonemic chants, our sound segmentation activities, calendar, and shared reading. -----, however, is most often moving from spot to spot on the carpet. Then when he is bored of playing with the carpet, he begins to wander around the room or peruse through our book shelves. I try to redirect him or give the whole class a reminder of the stick they can earn, but it doesn't seem to be successful with -----. Even after I have given him a yellow card or asked him to sit in a chair instead of on the floor, he finds ways to distract himself with pencils, crayons, even his shoes! So sometimes I have to just ignore it, or I'd be redirecting him the entire whole group time. I don't really know what else to do to keep him focused. I don't want him to miss instruction because as I've seen, ----- is absorbing the information being shared, even though he may not be looking at you. He can in fact repeat it, he has a great ear for new sounds. Although he clearly multi-tasks well, he won't be able to make the connections with the syntax of the language, the meaning of the new vocabulary words, ect. if he doesn't watch what I'm doing. Do you have any suggestions??"

Egads !!
V

Respond to this message   
Responses