Return to Index  

This restored my faith in good people (long and totally OT)

April 11 2012 at 10:57 AM
Renata  (Login doglvr)
*HFP Mommies*

DD and I were driving to my mom's on Sunday when I saw a yard sale going on. Since my entire income (PT job) goes to preschool costs and DH is basically not earning a cent, I have been looking only at garage sales and second hand shops for a dresser for the boys. I pulled over and sure enough, from a distance the dresser looked good enough but just needed some paint. We walked up and talked to the guy (about my age I'd say). I assumed he was moving, but he told me that no, his unemployment had run out and he was selling everything he owned to keep his apartment for another month while he continues to job hunt. He said that lots of Americans are in the same boat these days (he clearly is not feeling sorry for himself). He said that everything was 50% off, so the dresser was only $2.50. I would have paid $20 for it no problem. He had found it on the street (very common in my town; we have gotten some cool stuff from "free boxes") and since he's a contractor he was able to repair it. The dresser is in great shape and much better than I would have found at a second hand store. I said, "I'm not going to pay you only $2.50 for that dresser. Please let me at least give you the full $5", to which he said, "No Miss. Everything is 50% off and besides, I didn't pay anything for it". He would not let me give him a dime more than $2.50. He put it in the car for me, taking special care to lay a blanket on the fender as to not scratch the car. I had picked up (in a free box from a neighbor!) a plant stand which I had taken out of the car to put the dresser in. I noticed it had some pieces missing and some nails sticking out so decided I didn't want it. I left it for the guy in his wood area (he was giving wood away). He noticed it and called me back to ask about it and I told him about the needed repairs. To which he said (I kid you not), "I'll fix it for you. I have nothing else to do right now. You can swing by in 1/2 hour and pick it up". OMG! So I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "No, you can fix it and sell it for yourself", and at least he agreed to that! I can't stop thinking about him. He seems like an intelligent, normal guy of my generation (mid-40's). He had a jello recipe book and we chuckled about that (mothers who used to make jello molds). The fact that he doesn't even have a dresser to put his clothes in now but was so kind and giving, and there are many people who have so much who are unkind and don't understand how to share, just made me shake my head. This is right up there with the time I pulled into a parking space in SF the day before my wedding (meeting in-laws for breakfast) and didn't have change and a homeless guy literally took the change out of his cup to put in the meter for me. I mean really. When does THAT happen??? You bet I bought that guy a really nice breakfast and brought it back to him and we had a nice chat about how he became homeless. He seemed so wise (he was an old AA man) and I asked him if he had any advice for me for my marriage (he had shared about his long term marriage with a wife who had died). He said something poetic that was basically, "Always walk along the path together". Years later, I still think about HIM, too.

Respond to this message   
Responses