Return to Index  

check with pediatrician

April 17 2012 at 4:34 AM
Malka  (Login MalkaR)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to I feel that in every other way, my baby appears to be

I think we always are trying to blame ourselves for things!!! If I were you, if there is a concern I would make sure that the pediatrician has pursued other possible causes of this if it truly can be considered "failure to thrive" in the weight gain sense. I don't mean to sound alarmist but you would not want to have them miss an important organic but obscure cause yet treatable cause. If you don't feel satisfied with the pediatrician's response, get a second opinion. Ask to see the growth curve with the points plotted for your child. Do they really veer off the curve to your eye?

I want to give a few examples but I do not want to imply that these are in any way what is going on with your child. Just want to point out that there can be treatable causes of lack of weight gain if your intuition says to pursue. Not that this is the cause but just as an example, our friend had her pediatrician miss the diagnosis of cyctic fibrosis in her dd only to have her mother (a nurse) figure out that dd needed to be tested for this. DD suffered digestive problems (pain, bloating, poor weight gain) for about an extra year prior to diagnosis. The child is very bright, so that was never an issue. I also know that many cases of tuberculosis in children are missed by clinicians because this infection has become quite rate in the U.S. This can cause failure to thrive, is easily treated, and has no affect on intelligence or other developmental landmarks.

If the growth curve does not look too far off then maybe this is simply this child's pattern. My friend had two children several years apart about the same birth weight, and it was a high birth weight. One stayed on that high trajectory and the other dropped down to the 50th percentile during the first six months and has remained there through 3 years of age. All normal!

I hope this doesn't upset you to barge in and give some scary examples.

warm regards,
Malka

ds born 11.20.09 from single embie
highest fsh 75

Respond to this message   
Responses