Would you correct your bossís spelling?May 6 2012 at 8:19 PM
|Pink Dandelion (Login Pinkdandelion)|
I am involved in a research project that my boss is authoring, I am responsible for the physical data collection. In the abstract and survey participant questionnaire that she wrote and forwarded to me by email today, there are several misspelled words. For example: for the word meaning free of charge, she wrote complementary rather than complimentary. For inpatient, she wrote in-patient. There are no misspells that look like a typo, just the wrong choice of spelling for particular words.
Do you think it would be disrespectful or offensive to correct her? We dont have a friendly relationship, but not unfriendly either. Shes pretty hands-off overall, so I dont know how she would react to being corrected. In the email today, she did not say read it over and let me know what you think. She just said thanks to all for helping get this going. I consider her an extremely articulate and intelligent person, and I respect her greatly. I think she was probably not paying attention entirely while writing.
What troubles me about keeping quiet is that survey participants who will be reading this survey abstract and questionnaire may view us as less than the most dedicated to detail and/or educated.
I am extra uncertain because 6 out of 9 people in my department were terminated this past week (but none of those people reported to her). We are having a severe budget crisis at work. Im super nervous about my future employment. And I dont feel safe just because I wasnt let go. My turn for termination would come in 2.5 months, when my contract would be renewed or not renewed. I have heard (rumor mill) that many of those in my position will be eliminated with contract renewal season coming up.
Thanks for all opinions!!
- I'd say, "I noticed a couple minor typo's. . ." (m) - cy on May 6, 2012, 9:07 PM
- Thanks, Cy - Pink Dandelion on May 7, 2012, 1:04 AM
- well... - juliemam on May 6, 2012, 9:12 PM
- One of my professors.... - MargieD on May 6, 2012, 9:45 PM
- I am the queen of typos.... - ZakiaZ on May 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
- Yes, unless - Ariadne on May 7, 2012, 12:12 AM
- yes - Lillian on May 7, 2012, 12:24 AM
- As an editor... - Meg on May 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
- Hi - Victoria on May 7, 2012, 1:01 PM
- Update! - Pink Dandelion on May 8, 2012, 11:05 PM
- Yes! - omissy on May 7, 2012, 2:26 PM
- Thanks!! - Pink Dandelion on May 8, 2012, 11:07 PM