Return to Index  

Oh, the irony of our elementary schools "FAMILY Fun Night" hosted by Disney...

May 7 2012 at 4:25 PM
Minna  (Login MinnaPLT)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to wondering what you think of this

...I was stunned that the Disney Make a Wish-provided DJ at our Elementary school played such songs, along with plenty of top 40 (I guess) songs. (An ill classmate of DS, 2nd grade at the time, had a Make A Wish foundation fundraiser in his honor).

Perhaps MORE shocking to me was how many of DD's Kindergarten (at the time) classmates dancing around and singing all the words!!

My poor kids know some of these songs only by the youtube "spoofs" teaching Jewish holidays via the Maccabeats (a Chanuakah song to the tune of "Dynomite") and the Fountainheads (a purim song to the tune of "Raise your Glass"). Imagine a gym full of elementary school kids singing "I throw my hands up..." and my kids singing "I flip my latkes in the air sometimes", LOL!!! (And 9yo DS just "found out" that the "s word" is not "stupid"!! My answer "It is at our house"! LOL!!)

In my experience, there are several sources at work here. Number 1 for exposure to inappropriate music is the (dreaded) older brother or sister...esp if they are in middle or high school. (Ditto for inappropriate movies, video games, clothing, etc). Beware!! Otherwise, my kids pick up lyrics from Hip Hop dance class (for for 1st-2nd graders) that uses boppy pop to get the energy level up and from the very popular Just Dance Wii videos (which does delete some words).

We just went to hear kids musician/storyteller Bill Harley in concert...9yo DS still loves him. But, I fear, at age 7 and 9, our years of Dan Zanes and Ralph and the like are behind us...and we have quite sheltered nerdy kids who are unique among their peers in knowing (carefully selected songs from) bands like The Beatles, James Brown and Bela Fleck and the Flectones!

Whereas I certainly don't condone it, I don't think you can hide your kids from exposure these days. And, yes, at a younger and younger age. I do think that the way we handle such exposure makes a huge difference. My kids know that words like "sexy" are "inappropriate for kids to use".

There are those cute little British girls on the internet that cover Nikki Manaj songs, clearly with no idea what they mean...but still, a grown up had to let them hear the song enough times to learn the words, etc, etc. Very cute girls... but given the lyrics, as a parent it is disturbing!

Funny, I was at a potluck just yesterday afternoon where parents were discussing this very topic! We all agree on the phenomenon, but the bottom line is that none of us can "shelter" our kids from it once in elementary school...the best we can do is spin it appropriately as parents.

Sigh.
Minna

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement