Looking for advice/help with difficult transition to big boy bedMay 18 2012 at 11:26 PM
|PInk Dandelion (Login Pinkdandelion)|
We moved my 3.8 y/o out of his crib 7 nights ago. It is a decision that is causing me so much agony. He cant seem to just settle and go to sleep, he is up walking around in his room, looking at books. He will usually fall asleep around 11 pm, compared to a crib bedtime of 7:30.
We still follow the same bedtime routine as before. Bath, books, then hugs and kisses and good night. I have been sitting on the floor next to his bed for a few minutes, but it seems like it only keeps him awake. He has one of those starry turtles for light in his room (with the crib, we used to leave a table lamp on. Now he says the table lamp is too much light, so it is turned off but still in his room and he could turn it on if he wanted it. I am thankful he is not in his room crying, but just wish he could get more sleep as I know he needs it.
I figured this partying would go on for a night or two, but he is still keeping up the pace on the 7th night. He knows not to come out of his room, but I can hear him up there rambling around in his room.
With DS#1, I made the mistake of holding him until he was asleep when he transitioned into his big boy bed. To this day, I have to sit with him and hold his hand while he goes to sleep. I love my boys dearly, but my entire evening revolves around putting them to sleep!! I dont want to make the same mistake with #2, yet this method of letting him figure it out for himself doesnt seem to be working either.
Experience? insight? help!!!
Edited to add: this child is sheer joy during the day. Happy, easy to get along with, easygoing, a dreamboat. He just quit diapers two weeks ago and has done beautifully with potty training. Its just this sleep thing!!
|This message has been edited by Pinkdandelion on May 18, 2012 11:51 PM|
- question - keiki's makuahine on May 19, 2012, 2:25 AM
- Yes - Pink Dandelion on May 19, 2012, 2:50 AM
- hmmm - juliemam on May 19, 2012, 4:37 AM
- What has worked for us long-term - Mo on May 19, 2012, 5:30 PM
- The new bed's size might be the cause - Adee on May 20, 2012, 3:50 PM
- Not so bad - GailCT on May 20, 2012, 8:28 PM
- Control - Pink Dandelion on May 21, 2012, 1:00 AM
- Re: Looking for advice/help with difficult transition to big boy bed - ZakiaZ on May 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
- Give him a choice? - wcl on May 21, 2012, 6:35 PM
- No advice - ekb88 on May 22, 2012, 1:48 PM