Return to Index  

instilling gratitude in children

May 21 2012 at 2:02 PM
  (Login MM-IL)
*HFP Mommies*

Gail mentioned in her post below about her children being unappreciative. I thought it might be useful to start a separate thread to brainstorm some ideas. I know I could use them.

After last week's baseball game, my 7.75 year old son had a meltdown because the parent who was providing the snack was purchasing a hot dog and a drink for each kid from the concession stand, and my little monster "Doesn't LIKE the hot dogs here!" He pitched a big crying fit. I think/hope it was fueled by being tired out from the game, but really, how awful! My kids never had a lot of big public meltdowns back when it would have been more age-appropriate for them to do so, but now my son and one of my 9-year-olds (S) seem to have a fair lot of these huge out-of-control fits, and they often seem to be focused around not getting something they feel entitled to.

Back in the car, I let my son know how angry I was at his behavior, and that he is not entitled to a snack. Snacks are provided by somebody who is being NICE, and the way he acted was the height of rudeness and ingratitude. My son will apologize to the parent next week, but I would like to try to find ways to head this kind of thing off before it happens. Any suggestions?

xoxoxoxoxo
MM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement