Return to Index  

Give him a choice?

May 21 2012 at 6:35 PM
  (Login wcl)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to Looking for advice/help with difficult transition to big boy bed

Pink, since you still have the crib in his room, could you give him a choice about which bed to sleep in each night? Maybe that will help him feel more in control of things, and willing to stay put?

Potty training is another control/power issue, so I agree that doing both at the same time is a double whammy for your little guy, and may be making him a bit hesitant about the big boy bed at this time. That's why I'd let him call the shots and help him feel that it makes no difference to you which bed he sleeps in, as long as he's comfortable with his choice, and gets to sleep when it's time to sleep.

On the other hand, you'd want to make the new bed as inviting as possible. Let him choose a favorite stuffed animal to sleep with? (Sorry, Barkley, but a stuffed dog might work just as well!) Get fun bedding for the new bed? Put those mesh bed rails on the bed to help him feel cozier for now? Just trying to remember what my DD did with her two kids (about the same ages as yours)....

It's hard, but he (and you) will get there.

wcl

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Thanks, WCL - Pink Dandelion on May 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
  •  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement