How do you teach DD's about beauty?May 30 2012 at 10:57 AM
|Alli (Login AC2009)|
I have come to the recent realization of how much harm my mother did to me in emphasizing outward appearance. I don't have a huge body image issue beyond any normal woman, but it is something I definitely don't want to pass on to my daughters. I was taught that inner beauty mattered but was never allowed out without being "coiffed." Comments were/are made about weight or wearing ponytails everyday. I am also now seeing favoritism with the grandkids based on looks. Comments are made about less attractive babies, etc. Even within extended family! It really horrifies me because society already gives such high standards for girls.
Have you started emphasizing inner beauty? At what age?
- What an interesting topic! - wcl on May 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
- not a whole lot of time to respond in detail, but from the time... - Kat. on May 30, 2012, 1:15 PM
- These are great! - Alli on May 31, 2012, 5:40 PM
- Apparently I was socialized a bit differently - ekb88 on Jun 1, 2012, 12:38 AM
- personal sacrifices--walking the talk - tara21 on Jun 1, 2012, 12:13 PM
- I love all these responses BUT..... - ZakiaZ on Jun 2, 2012, 2:23 PM
- hey, Z - keiki's makuahine on Jun 3, 2012, 9:09 AM
- I should clarify to mention I live in the Southern US - Alli on Jun 2, 2012, 3:38 PM