Return to Index  

So well articulated! (m)

May 30 2012 at 4:18 PM
cy  (Login cy2)
*HFP Mommies*

Response to not a whole lot of time to respond in detail, but from the time...

You're exactly on track with DD and the consistent message you deliver will end up being deeply embedded into her view of people and life. She's already light years ahead of the average child in the most important life philosophy, namely, trying to figure out what really matters and what is "real.

Given our society with all the media/entertainment focus on vanity, superficial looks, and notoriety (for example our fascination with Kim K!), we need to make sure our children realize the difference between what they see on tv and in magazines and how to live a satisfying life. Otherwise, unless you are part of that reality show superstar set, you'll be unhappy with your life, no matter what you have.

At DS' private school, we have some very wealthy families. One in particular seems to be setting up their daughter for an unhappy adulthood. She brags about the very LARGE gifts her family has given to the school. Her parents pick her up in a limousine the day after some of her "friends" expressed doubt that her family owned a limo (I think it was her birthday). DS tells me that she is very bossy and brags a lot. Her "friends" like to be with her because she has really nice stuff. The girl scout leader for this girl tells me that the Mom is constantly with her daughter and even "helps" (does the activity instead of observing and offering encouragement) her complete all her assignments and crafts that she does in girl scouts.

Personally, I'm very happy that DS has this opportunity to observe how material wealth can actually ruin a person's potential to be a nice person that people love to be around because they are good company. Also, it makes for very interesting discussions around our dinner table.

We also have some interesting conversations about the placement of sexy-looking women in ads. DS has been brainwashed that "how people look doesn't necessarily translate into how they are". Living in Hawaii, we have a very racially diverse population, and I'm proud that DS is sensitive to the fact that some people are quick to categorize people by skin color. In fact, one day I identified a grocery checkout person to DH in a conversation as black, and DS asked me if I was being a racist.

Anyway, thank you for such a wonderful post. I will remember it and apply it liberally with DS whenever the opportunity arises.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement