Return to Index  

My son was sent home from day camp today

June 15 2012 at 5:18 PM
Pink Dandelion  (Login Pinkdandelion)
*HFP Mommies*

My 5.5 year son sent me to tears today. I got called to pick him up from day camp for pushing that was unprovoked. They find that he is extremely sweet and respectful towards adults, but in the middle of playing a game or walking somewhere in the camp, he will turn around and push someone. We had been having this problem at the daycare in the last coupe of months, but I had attributed some of his behavior to the extremely grouchy teacher in that daycare class. He had not had any bad behavior last week (the first week of camp) but started with the pushing this week.

We had had a long talk with him last night that if he continued to push, he would not be able to stay at camp, with the message repeated before we left this morning.

My son refuses to eat breakfast except for drinkable yogurt. I mentioned to the director and head counselor that perhaps he was hungry when these pushing episodes take place. Apparently they dont sit down for a snack, and the kids swim for an hour first thing in the morning. The director of the day camp said to me Maybe its nutritional, but maybe he has a disability of some sort. That made me feel even worse. The director then admitted that he as a child had issues related to sugar sensitivity, so i think he is relating to me with his own childhood experiences.

When I brought him home, there was alot of crying on my sons part because he didnt want to leave the camp trying to get him into the car. He kicked the back of the seat and screamed most of the way home while I kept quiet.

When we got home, my mom was over and fed him lunch and he ate a whole sandwich and 2 bananas. He had just had lunch at the camp. So maybe it was hunger? Or maybe he does have a disability?

I am just sick over this whole thing. I feel like a total failure as a parent, and I have no control over my son. I am deathly afraid that he will get kicked out of kindergarten in the fall for the same reasons. Like all parents, I just want my child to have fun and behave himself and enjoy friendships with his peers.

I have been fighting back tears all afternoon.

Pink

Respond to this message   
Responses