Return to Index  

Need input on birthday party

July 4 2012 at 12:13 PM
Funintheskies  (Login Funintheskies)
*HFP Mommies*

Happy Fourth!

I hope everyone is well. Say, I'm looking for some input on how to handle a combined birthday party for DS1, who is about to turn five, and DS2, who is about to turn 1.

For whatever reason, we've had a fairly low-response rate to the invitations. (We had a blockbuster turnout for DS1's fourth and first parties, good/OK participation for his second party and so-so/light turnout for his third party.)

Well, I probably shouldn't care, but DS1 has been talking non-stop about his party. I don't want him to be disappointed, especially if no one comes from his preschool. (Also, in the part, we've had some families who replied to attend but ended up as no-shows and other families who did not reply but showed up. On balance, the no-shows definitely outnumber the surprise attendees.) So, the low number of "yes" responses could produce an even smaller turnout.

As such, I am debating sending a follow-up e-mail to the various friends on the electronic list, and I am mulling the best "peg" for such a note. Also, I might pursue a second note at DS1's preschool, but I've never seen a second round of invites/notes go out for other parties at school.

Here's some background. The party is scheduled for Saturday, July 14. I distributed the paper invites at school on Thursday, June 28, and Friday, June 29, and I e-mailed the regular invites on Friday, June 29.

So far, no one is coming for DS1's preschool, even though three kids who are now at different schools came last year. This year, three parents have verbally indicated conflicts. The thing that is surprising is I repeatedly have been told that DS1 is very popular at school, and he has attended a series of parties for his classmates.

As for the regular crowd, it's possible some of them feel I've turned to them too many times in the past, or they are dealing with the various conflicts of the summer and the merciless heat. Perhaps, they do not want to bring gifts for two children, even though I have indicated no one should do so.

* Should I be concerned about the fairly low response rate, so far? (I wouldn't care except there always is a clear no-show factor.) Is it still a little early for responses, especially against the backdrop of the Fourth holiday?

* How should I "peg" a follow-up email?

* Is there a reasonable way to ask for follow-up notes to go out at school? I do know one child in the past had to cancel a party because the response rate was a flat zero.

Thanks in advance for any input. Have a good holiday!

This message has been edited by Funintheskies on Jul 4, 2012 1:22 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses