Discussing death with kidsJuly 28 2012 at 3:58 PM
|wcl (Login wcl)|
Sorry to bring up such a downer of a topic, but my grandchildren's step-grandma is in hospice right now, and I would like to have your input.
My GS will be 6 in a couple of weeks. My GD is 3. My biggest question is about the impending death and funeral. My DD does not think she should bring the children. I agree about the little one. But the older one? She's concerned that it will upset him. I'm not sure. I think it might be helpful to him in understanding what death is--in the case of a person he is not that emotionally close to--and to see that life goes on even when people are feeling sad and miss the person. They eat, they laugh, they remember. I am thinking, how long can we protect him, and when would be the right time to expose him to life's sadder events?
What do you think?
- waterbugs and dragonflies at the service - Rebekah on Jul 28, 2012, 9:14 PM
- We've always taken DS with us when we had to attend (m) - cy on Jul 28, 2012, 9:23 PM
- I went at 5 - tara21 on Jul 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
- Depends - SusanOR on Jul 29, 2012, 7:00 PM
- So sorry, WCL - Pink Dandelion on Aug 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
- A note of humor in all this!. - wcl on Aug 2, 2012, 9:38 AM