<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DH having surgery right now (plus other stuff)

April 28 2012 at 12:50 PM
Renata  (Login doglvr)
*HFP Mommies*

Hi Ladies. So...DH acquired a laceration on his forearm last Sunday while helping a friend move a large playhouse. Pushed his hand through the window and was cut by the shards. Took him to the ER and while it only required 2 stitches, there was nerve damage so he's in surgery right now. Keep him in your thoughts.

Seems we have rats in the attic (which is our second floor living space) so the pest control folks were here on Monday. This a.m. DD found a small dead rat on our staircase. Yes, IN THE HOUSE where the twins could easily have found it and tried to pick it up. Now, I like live rodents and have had them as pets, but a dead rat in my house freaked me out. Ran next door and our neighbor (same guy whose playhouse DH was moving) came to rescue us. UGH. I really hope that there are no other entry points into the house. I don't want dying or dead rats in here!

OK, so these are the same neighbors I wrote about awhile ago, leaving the 11 year old home alone with the 5 year old with no phone. I finally mustered up the courage to talk to the Dad (I'm closer to him than to the mom) after the 11 year old (who calls me her "second mom") once again told me how nervous she is being home and in charge. Today when he came to help with the rat he said, "So, we're getting a third phone. Thanks for the nudge in getting us to do that". Yeah!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(Login bogart99)
*HFP Mommies*

oh no, oh no, yeah!

April 28 2012, 1:47 PM 

Hi, Renata,

Oh no -- I'm so sorry about your DH and hope the surgery and his recovery go smoothly. What a drag! Ditto the rats ... dead rodents really cannot be a force for good, in terms of the health of your LOs ... I am far from paranoid about germs, etc., but would think live rodents (in the instant) are much better than dead ones. I hope that was just a fluke/solitary occurrence and that the rest will stay away. But yeah! on your neighbor and of course you for speaking up -- hopefully that will improve matters (sounds like it should, because -- duh. But I do understand the "knowing you should do something but not having gotten it done" problem, so your neighbors do at least have my empathy there).

Best wishes,
Alex

Respond to this message   
Fleur
(Login 1234Fleur)
*HFP Mommies*

Hope DH is okay and

April 28 2012, 9:17 PM 

sorry to hear about the rats. We had some in our attic a while ago and I could hear them at certain parts of the ceiling. We had someone come and they took care of it, we were lucky and they were only a couple. I was creeped out knowing they were up there....

Hugs,

Respond to this message   
Renata
(Login doglvr)
*HFP Mommies*

Surgery was more complicated than anticipated

April 28 2012, 11:02 PM 

Once the surgeon got in there, he realized the extent of the damage was much worst than he had thought. 3 1/2 hours instead of 1 1/2, 5 tendons torn instead of 2, lots of nerve damage. He is a rotten patient. He got home 3 hours ago and I swear he has been standing up and moving around doing things the entire time. He will NOT sit down. This is going to be a LONG recovery for me!

Respond to this message   
Adee
(Login Adeedu)
*HFP Mommies*

poor him...

April 28 2012, 11:16 PM 

and you!

I completely sympathize with you.
I can imagine the pain because I've been in it this winter.

fast and easy recovery.

Joy and celebrations,

Adee

Respond to this message   
juliemam
(Login juliemam)
*HFP Mommies*

yikes

April 29 2012, 5:55 AM 

a quick minute to say: sorry to hear about your dh's arm. had to smile at how terrible a patient he is. My sympathies to you wink.gif hope his arm heals quickly and all feels normal for him in speedy way.

yuck about the rats. Hope that is the only incident.

and woo hoo on the neighbour and getting that girl a phone. Good job mama bear.

hugs
jm

Respond to this message   
Pink Dandelion
(Login Pinkdandelion)
*HFP Mommies*

Sounds rough...

April 29 2012, 11:03 AM 

for both of you:( I hope he has a smooth recovery.

Pink

Respond to this message   

keiki's makuahine
(Premier Login goldiescholar)
Forum Owner

Hope he's better soon!

April 29 2012, 8:58 AM 

Ew, rats. We've had mice before. If you think you have a problem, hire a pest control service at least for a while. They'll check it out and look for signs you wouldn't be able to identify. Rats in some areas carry plague and hantavirus.

Do you have any pets? Our dogs actually have been very good ratters.

So glad your neighbor go that phone and had your back!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

Respond to this message   
Renata
(Login doglvr)
*HFP Mommies*

We are working with the pest control company!

April 29 2012, 11:09 AM 

I have a feeling that this particular rat ate some bait and then tried to find its way out of the crawl space and was successful. Our house is over 100 years old and is pretty large, so clearly they missed some spots when they "sealed" the exit routes!

Respond to this message   
Lillian
(Login wilbur75)
*HFP Mommies*

ouch! and yuck!

April 30 2012, 12:59 PM 

So sorry about DH's arm, and hope the surgery went well. That sounds painful!

And yuck yuck about the dead rat. I have a funny story about a dead rat. When I was hugely pregnant with DS #2, my sweet dog was in the backyard and I called him in. He ran in seeming really excited and then I noticed he had a dead rodent (i.e. huge rat) in his mouth. And I screamed drop that!! So he did, right on my dining room floor. And then I thought, well shoot who is going to pick it up? Because I just could NOT get myself to pick it up. I tried, really tried, but couldn't. Normally I am not so squeamish, but something about being pregnant made me so. So while I was hemming and hawing, my doggie was pacing around licking his lips wanting the rat. (He was such a good boy, knowing he wasn't allowed to have it unless I said so.) DH was far away at work so I ended up calling my next-door neighbors to ask if the husband could come help me out, and the wife, who'd answered, said forget him, I'm the one who takes care of such things around here! So she did -- came right on over and disposed of it!

Glad to hear the update on the neighbors -- and that you were the catalyst.
Goes to show that sometimes you should speak up.

xoxo
Lillian

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - DH having surgery right now (plus other stuff)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index