<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New neighbors gift ideas?

July 22 2012 at 11:29 AM
  (Login wcl)
*HFP Mommies*

Girls,
New neighbors just moved in across the street. It's a young family with two little boys, 9 months and 3 years. The day after they arrived, I dropped off a note asking if I could help in any way, and gave them my name and phone number. Anything else you can think of that might be helpful to this family in the way of foods or a small, useful but inexpensive gift? A few of you have had recent experience with moves. What would you have appreciated?

Thanks,
Wcl

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MM-IL)
*HFP Mommies*

aren't you a sweetheart?

July 22 2012, 12:43 PM 

The thing I would have most appreciated (if they are new to the area) is a little hand drawn map or even just a list with addresses of your favorite places for things like hardware store, pizza, groceries, neighborhood bar or liquor store (oh yeah), best libraries, hair salons, pediatrician, or even maybe even comparisons between shops and services...like little mini-reviews listing pros and cons of different places! Or a bunch of menus for carry-out, map indicating houses with little children in the neighborhood, babysitters, best parks, etc. There might be a local publication already that has a "best of..." edition.

Hey, where were you when I moved here?! lol

xoxooxxo
MM

Respond to this message   

keiki's makuahine
(Premier Login goldiescholar)
Forum Owner

great idea!

July 22 2012, 8:44 PM 

I've also organized a "pounding" for someone who moved -- all the kitchen and bathroom items that can be so costly when starting over. Or you could organize a kid-friendly neighborhood drop-in or cook-out at a nearby park if you have that kind of neighborhood.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

Respond to this message   
Pink Dandelion
(Login Pinkdandelion)
*HFP Mommies*

How thoughtful!!

July 22 2012, 10:33 PM 

When we moved into our current neighborhood, we were new to the whole area. Neighbors came in droves to introduce themselves and usually brought pastries which was nice too. Our neighbors were wonderful in providing all sorts of info like seasonal activities in the area, best pizza restaurant, the name of a good dentist, etc. A list like that would be very appreciated.

In the old neighborhood, the neighbors got together and brought us an entire dinner. It was a soup from the crockpot with salad and bread and a dessert. It was already warmed up and ready to eat, complete with paper bowls and utensils. We literally didnt have to do anything.. They had asked what night would be good for us. It was so delicious and appreciated, especially in the middle of unpacking, etc. Im sure a young family would love this too.

I think just introducing yourself and making yourself available is great!!

I have been fortunate to have the nicest neighbors in my old and now my current neighborhood.

Pink

Respond to this message   
ZakiaZ
(Login ZakiaZ)
*HFP Mommies*

My neighbour gave me...

July 22 2012, 10:54 PM 

plants from her garden. I planted them and they're huge and blossoming beautifully. We still exchange plants to this day happy.gif

Z.

Respond to this message   

(Login wcl)
*HFP Mommies*

Great ideas!

July 23 2012, 7:02 AM 

I think I'm going to type up a list of local places that might be useful to them (with locations and comments), and make fresh, unsweetened applesauce for the children.(That will be easy for me and best for them, because my pastry-baking skills are questionable, to say the least!)

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions.

wcl

Respond to this message   
GailCT
(Login GailCT)
*HFP Mommies*

Are they new to the area?

July 23 2012, 10:38 AM 

If they are maybe a gift card to a local restaurant or play place for the kids. I usually just make something to bring over to introduce myself. I wish I had a neighbor like you though who offers to help out, lucky people they are.

Respond to this message   

(Login wcl)
*HFP Mommies*

Yes, they're new

July 23 2012, 1:10 PM 

They moved up here to the suburbs from NYC, and like many city transplants I've met, they are probably a little suspicious of their new neighbors. I'd like to "disarm" them a little with some neighborliness!
wcl

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New neighbors gift ideas?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement