Small Engine Repair Help

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

broken pull cord on weedeater

August 21 2003 at 9:35 AM
No score for this post
greg2536  (Login greg2536)

can anyone help me fix the pull cord on my weedeater trimmer. It has broken off within the housing. how do i remove it to replace the cord?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

broken pull cord on weedeater

No score for this post
August 21 2003, 12:21 PM 

I am not sure if it is much different then a 4 stroke engine (such as a lawn mower) but if not you need to remove the shroud (top cover that contains the pull cord). You need to gain access to the area right underneath the pull cord. Usually this area is accessed by bending some tabs or removing some screws. This should allow you to pull the mechanism out. Becareful as there is a coil spring in there that will come unwound in a HURRY. Then you should be able to fish out the string and be on your way. This is just my two cents as I have never taken a weedeater rip cord apart before but I cannot imagine it is much different then a lawn mower.

Good luck

Tim
(no login)

Re: broken pull cord on weedeater

No score for this post
September 4 2003, 1:50 AM 

you have to remove the four screws holding the rewind housing on....then disconnect the fuel line and coil wire..wind the starter cup until it stops then loosen one full turn....install rope and slowly let it rewind..reassemble

Kenny
(no login)

I did this

No score for this post
April 17 2004, 8:48 PM 

I have already done this on my weedeater, the only thing i didn't do is replace the cord. I just replaced the one that came undone and it came off again what should i do now?

tigertony
(Login tigertony)

Warning

No score for this post
April 21 2004, 11:15 PM 

It is very important that the pull cords on trimmers and chain saws not be cut off or rewound to tightly. It will cause the spring to break. The pull cords will also swell and not fit the spool properly.
When you look at the spool you will notice a notch on the outer edge and a hole near the center screw. The hole is to allow the knot to be recessed and not hang up when it rotates. The center screw can be removed to access the spool. Be careful to note the washers that come with it. Feed the pull cord through the hole in the spool and tie a knot in the end. Pull the knot back into the hole and wind the cord in the proper direction until the spool is full. Feed the loose end through the guide hole in the shroud cover and install the handle. Insert the spool into the spring and reinstall the screw that held it. Now the tricky part.. there is no tension on the spring yet. That notch comes into play here. Pull the handle out 6-8 inches, grab the cord at that notch and make one wind of the spring in a tensioning direction. Slowly let the handle return (recoil) to the guide. That step should place enough tension on the spring to make the handle rest against the guide of the shroud. Re-install the shroud to the trimmer. You may have to engage the gear on the back of the spool to the flywheel by pulling easily on the recoil rope until it engages. If this is all too confusing I'm sorry. If you could purchase an OEM recoil rope kit, I think they usally include directions. Good Luck T

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on TechnicalCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Have a nice day :0)