Small Engine Repair Help

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stihl 088 Magnum Ignition Problems

September 7 2003 at 11:22 PM
No score for this post
bensminger  (Login bensminger)

I have a Stihl 088 Magnum chainsaw that won't give me a spark. It is an almost new saw (I don't have a dealer in my are to take it to, so must do it myself). When I first got it, it started but ran rough. After a short while (less than one hour's use!) it quit altogether. No spark. I put in a new ignition coil. Still nothing. I noticed that on the flywheel there are two letters - "N" and "S", which I assume are the north and south poles for the magnets. When I touch the "S" place with a piece of steel, I get a magnetic pull. But when I touch the "N" spot, there is nothing (it could be the "N" and "S" are reversed, but one of them does not pull). Could it be a defective flywheel? I have checked about everything else that I can think of (ignition coil air gap; ground continuity between coil and engine housing; cut-out switch; spark plug; etc.).
Anyone got any ideas for me?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ralph
(Login eurolarva)

Oil in the gas

No score for this post
September 7 2003, 11:34 PM 

Does this chain saw use a gas oil mix? If it is a two stroke and you did not use oil in the gas you might have fried it. If so you will need to test compression. Only thing else you might use and ohm meter and make sure you are not grounding out the ignition system somehow. Test plug buy grounding spark plug thread to a metal part of saw and keep spark end away from cylinder for safety reasons. Go into a dark area and pull on starter. you should see a blue spark. Use ohm meter to see is switch is working correctly

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on TechnicalCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Have a nice day :0)