Small Engine Repair Help

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

tecumseh 6.5hp wont stay running

April 19 2004 at 8:05 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)
  (Login hotshot414c)

hello: the engine will start after a couple of pulls but will only run for a few seconds. put a new carb and fuel line on it and a new spark plug, but i still have the same problem. it sounds like it runs out of gas. ANY IDEAS? THANKS

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
BIG ED
(no login)

Re: tecumseh 6.5hp wont stay running

No score for this post
April 24 2004, 1:54 AM 

MAKE SURE THAT FUEL FLOWS FREELY FROM THE FUEL TANK NO VENT NO FLOW IF FUEL WONT FLOW PULL THE FUEL CAP ALSO CHECK THE TANK FOR ANY DEBRIS

eurolarva
(no login)

gas cap

No score for this post
April 24 2004, 5:46 AM 

Try running it with gas cap loose or removed. If your tank is not venting motor will kill. Also replace your fuel line with new hose. You may have a gummed up fuel line.

(Login bassprochuck)

same prob and tried fixes

No score for this post
June 5 2004, 8:38 PM 

Have same prob with a fairly new 4hp B&S and I just bought a complete new carb(pulsajet Plastic)and new cap and ran with cap off too. Starts 1st pull after priming and runs 2-3secs and dies. Every time! Runs good too till it dies like its outta fuel. Sure would like a fix to try here. New diaphram and gasket too. 2 of em I tried.

eurolarva
(no login)

fuel line

No score for this post
June 6 2004, 10:26 PM 

Maybe try replacing the fuel line and flush out gas tank on motor. Make sure that all fuel lines have tight clamps on them. You may have a partial blockage or you are sucking air from somewhere.

Good luck

everett
(no login)

Re: fuel line

No score for this post
June 9 2004, 12:04 AM 

the tecumseh carberator is a piece of junk, recently i found a complete mower at the local landfill, took it home what a surprise it was carberator problems. I have worked on so many of these things i'm ready to give them up for good. A bit of info, sometimes after replacing all the parts that are replacable and cleaning all passages the carb can still fail, it has something to do with the little channel that is next to the main tube in the fuel bowl. This section has 2 little check balls in it, the mower i just found looks so clean and new in the fuel bowl i can get it through my head that it's bad, i've taken it apart so many times i'm about to throw the whole thing away. Ordered a new carb the other day from sears and found out that the carb that was on the mower has been discountinued, what a surprise. The new one cost about $60.00 hopefully that's the only thing wrong with it.

(no login)

bolens snow thrower

No score for this post
October 29 2004, 8:52 PM 

starts but dies imediately

feeddog
(no login)

Re: bolens snow thrower

No score for this post
October 30 2004, 7:38 PM 

fuel delivery, clean and check the carb, that means the float and all small orifices. If it has a filter check that.
Can also be miss adjusted mixture screw or low compression.
2 cycles sometimes stall till warm when the rings expand.

Current Topic - tecumseh 6.5hp wont stay running
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on TechnicalCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Have a nice day :0)