Return to Index  

My first Patek. I'm disappointed. Advice needed...

October 9 2004 at 1:44 AM
Anonymous  (Login mike_calabasas)

Just bought a new Aquanaut 5065-1A from an authorized dealer. This is my first Patek. My expectation were pretty high given the price of the watch and Patek's reputation. I'll have to say I've been very disappointed by the manufacturing quality of the watch. There are defects I wouldn't expect from even a much cheaper watch.
1) There are dust specks on all hands Some visible with naked eye (if you get really close)

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Hour hand with dust specks

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Minute hand with dust specks

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Seconds hand front with dust spec

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Seconds hand back with dust spec

2) There is dust on the rotor

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Rotor screw with dust specks (2 and 8 o’clock)

3) The seconds hands’ sides (all around) are full of a silvery coat that has not been removed properly

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us

4) The wheel that transfers power from the rotor (to the mainspring...) is very very sloppy. This a a relatively large wheel
Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us

That wheel is gold/copper colored on all images I found on the web. The one of mt watch is steel but very sloppy. Is this right?

5) Jewel countersinks (the ones visible from the back) have burr and gross imperfections

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Jewel1 burr. Notice the gross imperfection of the pivot hole at 10 oclock and the burr all around

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Jewel2 burr. Notice the burr all around and rough spots/countersink surface cavities

6) Cracked jewel!?!?!

Image Hosted by <br />
ImageShack.us
Cracked jewel at 6 oclock?

Shouldn't all these be considered manufactoring defects? Are these covered by the watch's warranty(the watch is new and purchased from an authorized dealer)? Shouldn't I expect Patek to fix the problems? Please advice.
A very disappointed Mike

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page