Return to Index  

Haha, It must be...

October 10 2004 at 4:56 AM
JGV  (Login JoramGV)
AP Discussion Group

Response to I find it interesting to quote someone on themselves.

Hi Thomas,

It must be my relative young age to simply believe such an (how do I say this politely) experienced man as Mr. Roth. Well believe him, I did say his watches might have a finish comparable to Dufour.

But the real reason I remembered that bit of the interview (Beside my good memory due to my young age of course ) is that I expected him to mention Dufour, due to the consensus there seems to be on ThePurists regarding the watch with the best finish.

Mr Roth also mentioned the following:

IanS: You appear to spend a lot of time polishing tiny parts; just how polished do they have to be?

DR: First making; then finishing. I want my movements to be as perfect as I can possibly make them. As I have made only a few movements to date - well nearly a few - two (laughing), I am still learning just how good the finish can be. Some parts I have polished for over a week because I can see still them getting better and better by the day. A client, in all probability, could not see the difference between two days polishing and ten days polishing - I can, however, and that's what counts. I stop polishing when the finish stops improving. It drives Nicolas (his wife) crazy sometimes: over a week on one small part! (Shakes his head in disbelief) I cannot stop if I feel I could do better.

It interested me because first of all I don't think Dufour has the time to polish parts for over a week (although of course this is still no prove that Roth indeed finishes better than Dufour). Second of all I liked his remark A client, in all probability, could not see the difference between two days polishing and ten days polishing - I can, however, and that's what counts.. It reminded me of a very good pianist or Vladimir Horowitz playing the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (At first a piece that seems as easy as watch finishing seems to be). Most people won't hear the difference, but if you hear it it makes the piece so much more beautiful.

Regards,
Joram

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page