<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ref 3838/001- Requesting information please

October 18 2004 at 9:22 PM
Cynthia  (Login Rambutan7)

My father recently gave me a watch he purchased in the early 1970's, and has never worn. The original Patek documents with it indicate it to be:

Reference No. 3838/001, Mouvement No 1'503'527, Calibre: E27 quartz, Rubis/Watch jewels: 6, Cadran/Dial: fond glace, heures perlees, Boitier/Case: or jaune 18ct, Bracelet/Strap or bracelet: or jaune 18ct.

ALthough I have been unable to locate a single citation to this Reference No. 3838, I believe it may be called a "Golden Ellipse". I would be grateful for any specifics, such as the years this model was produced, and why it is so difficult to look up! It bears all the external hallmarks of a genuine PP, according to what I have read, but perhaps it is not genuine, because no information is available?

Second question: My father has kept this in a safety box all these years, with the winding pin pulled out. He has replaced the battery every few years nonetheless. As I will be giving it to my fiance in a few months, I would like to make sure it is good working order, cleaned, oiled, etc. THere is an authorized Patek service center in a Tourneau office nearby (South Coast PLaza in Orange County, California), and I am considering taking it there for this servicing. Do you have any reservations about this, or recommendations?
Thank you in advance.
C

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Luis
(Login Luis-F-S)
PP Discussion Group

Send the Watch to Henri Stern 212-218-1240

October 19 2004, 8:22 AM 

They are the US's only authorized service center. Call them for the address and send US mail registered/insured.

Respond to this message   
phil
(Login philbaker)

Not Tourneau

October 19 2004, 7:22 PM 

Do not take to Tourneau. It is very risky. You should send to Stern. This is also a trained European watchmaker that specializes in Pateks located in San Diego if you need another alternative. Email me for a contact.

Respond to this message   
Cynthia
(Login Rambutan7)

Ref No. 3838 - Thanks for your recommendations

October 19 2004, 8:07 PM 

After reading your notes, I contacted H. Stern in NY, and today shipped the watch to them for inspection and service.
I hope to learn more from them about the years this watch (Ref. NO. 3838) was produced, how many were made, etc. Although not a collector myself, I've found this watch to be quite intriguing!
With best wishes,
Cynthia

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page