<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Custom straps for Patek - made in USA...

November 19 2006 at 8:45 AM

WatchFan1  (Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

I had a VERY interesting and encouraging conversation with a gentleman who also had some challenge with proper fit of his 5135.

I am perfectly fine with the larger case of 5135 and my concern were only the lugs 'sticking out' as the strap bends over wrist since the holes were placed somehow in the middle of the lug.

see A. Schileo's picture to see the 'horns'...

He achieved a perfect fit and overcame this by having a custom strap made (in Europe).
He explained to me, that by having the ends of the strap thicker "along the whole width of the strap - on the end where it comes to the case" - not just in the middle, the 'horns' were practically eliminated while the strap still came nicely and close to the case to keep the gap between the strap and case at minimum (just like the stock strap).

I know that Camille Fournet and ABP-Paris are good custom strap manufacturers, but can anyone recommend a good custom strap maker here in the States ?

I am pretty excited about his finding as proper fit of this watch was somewhat of a concern and I was almost on the fence to pass on 5135R and get 5396R instead. This is GOOD news to me

TIA. Milos

_See Rolex Wallpapers & Technical Data about most current Rolex models: HERE_

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matthew
(Login goslowboy)
AP Discussion Group

I'm enjoying the horns

November 20 2006, 6:21 PM 

Hi Milos,

Please get the 5396 so i can play with it.

cheers
Matthew

Respond to this message   

WatchFan1
(Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

Re: Please get the 5396 so i can play with it.

November 21 2006, 12:38 PM 

You may like the horns Matthew ...I do not
I thought were were getting together this week so I can play with
that 5135P

Looks like 5135 will be the choice for me instaed of 5396 as this proper custom made strap
should make it look and fit perfect.
That will eventually have my PP lineup at: 5960P, 5146J and 5135R..
to cover all four metals - I think a nice WG world-timer would round the colection nicely.

Respond to this message   

WatchFan1
(Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

....looking for info from 5135 owners...

November 21 2006, 9:42 PM 

I like the shape and size of the case, but I think that better
fit could be achieved with a custom strap.

In order to get the watch fit better and eliminate the 'horns' - I have decided to get a custom strap made.

It will be made 'slightly' thicker (only at the end) AND even height (without the hump - as seen in the picture above in this thread) across the whole width - where strap comes to the case.
You can see the projected thickness in this picture:

Also the tapering (from the side view) will not start until the strap 'leaves' the lug area. (Stock PP strap tapers
almost immediately after the spring bar hole.)

In order to get this custom strap to fit as good as possible, I need to know:
1) the length of the lugs in mm (on the inside - from the flat surface of the case to the inner furthest tip of the lug)
2) - approximate distance in mm from the flat surface of the case to area where the hole for spring bar is placed.

If any of the current 5135 owners could help me with providing measurements for 1 & 2, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Milos

(credit for the last two pictures - before I edited them - goes to Mr. Schileo)

Respond to this message   

WatchFan1
(Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

BTW....

November 21 2006, 1:21 PM 

..received a tip on one Co. in the US, but I am anot sure about how 'custom' they can go and what is the overall satisfaction with their work..

2 days ago, I e-mailed ABP-Paris and Camille Fournet (Patek OEM straps manufacturer as well as custom strap manufacturer) ....thus far - no answer from either

Respond to this message   

WatchFan1
(Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

....found the answer

November 22 2006, 10:34 AM 

the dimensions are 6.5 mm and 3.25 mm

I think that with about 1.5 mmm build-up of the upper portion of the strap for the first 5 mm of the length - I will achieve much better fit.

BTW, still no answer from ABP or CF...I was wondering what would be the 'norm' for them to answer
an e-mail from a potential customer

Respond to this message   
bigmin
(Login djemi)
PP Discussion Group

GP's solution to protruding lugs

November 25 2006, 5:00 AM 

Maybe a curved lug pin will solve the problem.

Respond to this message   

WatchFan1
(Login WatchFan1)
PP Discussion Group

RE; "Maybe a curved lug pin will solve the problem."

November 26 2006, 12:16 PM 

Thanks for the eadvice bigmin. I can see that it could help with GP.

Not sure about that on 5135 at all.

Curved lug pins help to eliminate the gap between strap and the case when the holes are FAR from the case.
This is not the problem here. In fact - the strap comes nicely and close to the case.
My problems are the 'horns' sticking out - because the holes are closer to the case. (strap needs to be thicker and FLAT on the top.

Plus...curved lug pins work OK with a regular round shape watch.
Here the case is flat - and I think it would actually look worse.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page