<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Does money give you good taste?

November 30 2006 at 7:17 PM
Mostel  (Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

What is good taste? What watch expresses good taste? And what is our responsibilty as wealthy men, in this (very troubled) world, even as we pursue the finest things money can buy?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
moss
(Login Endofdays)
AP Discussion Group

good taste

November 30 2006, 8:08 PM 

IMVHO nothing personal

Taste is what you like.

Good taste is when few people happens to like your taste.

Good taste of mine might not be good taste for you.
It’s impossible to judge what good taste is.
Why don’t you tell me which watch you like?
And I will tell you what kind of taste you have. (In my eyes)

You got to have your own taste don’t let people pull your nose and tell you what’s good or bad.
And I think its stupidity, if one try to pursue finest things money can buy, when he don’t know how to appreciate.

If you want to impress people that’s one thing, ( A Daytona would best choice for this case)
If you are passionate about watch, that’s another thing.
Then I don’t have to tell you what good taste is.
Your money, your taste

For this question; “And what is our responsibility as wealthy men”

I would not have a clue as I am not a wealthy man.
But every one responsibility is, Give back to the society.
There are a lot unfortunate people in this world.
Your responsibility is to help those in need.
Moss

Respond to this message   
Zane
(Login jzh)
PP Discussion Group

Well said apart from......

December 1 2006, 3:21 AM 

''If you want to impress people that’s one thing, ( A Daytona would best choice for this case)'' ????
You don't really mean that, do you Moss??

Respond to this message   
Allen
(Login acs540)
AP Discussion Group

Now, that's seriously impressive! (nt)

December 1 2006, 10:08 AM 

Allen

Respond to this message   
Moss
(Login Endofdays)
AP Discussion Group

thats cool!!!

December 1 2006, 9:10 PM 

you want this one too??

And Yes I really mean flashy daytona(in gold)

Respond to this message   
Zane
(Login jzh)
PP Discussion Group

That's a relief.

December 2 2006, 9:11 PM 

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login RobbG)
PP Discussion Group

My own two cents...

November 30 2006, 9:55 PM 

Having money does not give the owner of said money good taste. It is what the owner of the said money does with it. For me, good taste is acquired and not brought/can't be had overnight. Good taste is knowing when to blend in and when to stand out. When to go ahead and when to hold back. Through subtle actions, the timing to show one's capacity/ability to appreciate good things is considered good taste.

What watch expresses good taste? A very personal question that is different for everybody. For different reasons, for different times, there is that one watch that will exude good taste once worn on the wrist. Wearing a flashy and sporty tourb with rubber strap would be good taste on a beach in the Bahamas while a somber white metal piece would also be good taste when attending a wedding or a funeral. What definitely would be bad taste would be wearing something that is inappopriate, a watch that would clash with the atmosphere one is going into, making both WIS and non-WIS cringe when the watch is noticed...

Responsibilty as men? I think it is a responsibility to give back to society in whatever way we can. Understand the mindset that in life, we win some, we lose some. And it is okay to experience those. Spreading some good by smiling more, saying thanks just a bit louder, giving more than expected for services done for us is but just a few of the ways we can spread goodness... something sorely lacking in this "very troubled" world we live in...

Just my own two cents

Respond to this message   
CL
(Login johnclang)
PP Discussion Group

Rob, you are one fine example of a .....

December 1 2006, 1:44 AM 

gentleman with good taste
So is Suitbert and AlexG.
Lovesss*CL

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login RobbG)
PP Discussion Group

Thanks so much for your kind words John...

December 1 2006, 2:45 AM 

Am only learning all of this day by day. Can only hope and aspire to someday be as refined a gentleman as you are today, one with GREAT taste I might add. Thanks again!!!

Respond to this message   
G.Francis
(Login G.Francis)
PP Discussion Group

No it allows you to..

December 1 2006, 6:02 AM 

make your own mind about things. How can you know about something if you have never been in an enviroment to experience it? Good taste for me is the difference between a "designer" name shirt and a Truzzi or Charvet. You can pay the same amount for them but the Charvet or Truzzi are in a different league. However they don't have Polo players or brand logos on the chest and I think that is the key point.
I love wearing my ref 5196G as a dress watch, 10 years ago it had to be a yellow gold Rolex. Maybe age gives you an edge too?
Rgds
GF

Respond to this message   
chris russell
(Login patekkie)
AP Discussion Group

Well, yes, if you're buying marmalade. (nt)

December 1 2006, 8:00 AM 

Respond to this message   
Bruno
(Login Bruno.M1)
AP Discussion Group

NO

December 1 2006, 8:16 AM 

I have good taste but not enough money to buy what I like.
And rich guys who buy very expensive Jacob & Co watches have no taste

Respond to this message   
jtbradley
(Login jtbradley)
PP Discussion Group

Of course note

December 1 2006, 11:26 AM 

First, Moss is right on when he says that taste is subjective and that someone else's "good" taste really means agreeing with one's own sensibilities.

Having "good" taste is, IMO, a state of mind rather than, e.g., an outward expression evidenced by material acquisitions, and I believe that in some cases, having money impedes having "good" taste. Instead of having to make hard choices based on values and true appreciation, many wealthy collectors seem to engage in the musical chairs approach to watch collecting. And the mere acquisition of high priced objects seems to be the goal, rather than an appreciation of the *objets d'art* themselves. Having the financial means to play this game can therefore sometimes impede true appreciation and understanding of watches (or art, wine, etc.). And let's be honest, to some collectors (and the public), having "good" taste simply means acquiring very expensive items and showing them off. And IMO, this is a very un-Purist attitude.

But this is all part and parcel of the wealthy being worshipped by the public, just as royalty in the past was worshipped merely for winning the lottery of genetics.

As to responsibilities to the world, this question likely exceeds the boundaries of proper discussion for this website, but I'll add my two cents: tell the world that freedom and capitalism is the best and only true method of progress for the world's poor. Charitable contributions are good, but even if all the wealth was redistributed equally among the world's 6 billion + inhabitants, it wouldn't be enough and would not provide a lasting means of support. A proper system of politics and economics (in both cases, ideally, liberalism in the classical sense of the term) is essential.

John

Respond to this message   
mostel
(Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

Thanks for interesting replies...

December 2 2006, 10:32 AM 

for my own part, I never believe money gives anyone good taste, often the opposite. But I was curious, given the increasingly 'youthful' character of many Patek forum contributors on this and other fora, whether the opinion would be different. I do think subtle watches express good taste, even on a beach in Florida.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page