<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

If pick one book, which book for my daughter?

August 24 2007 at 2:51 PM
No score for this post
Michelle P.  (Login MichellePoling)

My 14 year old daughter is currently in residential treatment because of her anger (we had sent her to a therapeutic wilderness program, but she continued to be violent there, so we felt we had to send her to a residential treatment program so she understands that her violent behavior is just not acceptable). She really wants to work on her anger management problems (as she realizes she needs to get her anger under control in order for her to come home), and I want to send her a book. I don't think I can get her to read two books at this time, so I want to choose the right one. From what I've looked at on amazon.com, it seems I should send her the More Hot Stuff to Help Kids Chill Out, instead of the original book (because the "More" book talks about violence)... can anyone give me their feedback? (I can't find the books in a bookstore, so I'm not able to look at them and make this determination myself). Thanks!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Suzanne Taylor BSW/RSW
(no login)

One Book...

No score for this post
November 15 2007, 11:05 PM 

I don't think it has so much to do with the book, but who is there to help her understand and practice the concepts. I use the first book as it covers important topics that are necessary to understand the basis of anger.
Has your daughter had testing done to rule out more organic issues around her behavior such as testing for different mental health issues?
I think so long as she has the right supports around her and is able to comprehend and practice the material in real life situations, then either book would be appropriate, but I would still go with the first one, then the second.
Suzie

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement