<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Beatitudes chord progression

November 9 2010 at 8:02 AM
No score for this post
  (Login ctdkite)

My musical training is not good enough to answer this and I don't have a copy of the music.

My question is this: Is the organ ending in the Beatitudes somehow related to the chord progression of the preceding choral part? It gives the impression that it "unwinds" the build-up of the choral piece.

Any help would be appreciated as a I am giving a talk on Arvo Pärt's music and would like to feature the Beatitudes.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Re: Beatitudes chord progression

No score for this post
March 18 2013, 6:10 AM 

(Login AC_Rosa)

RE: Beatitudes chord progression

No score for this post
March 18 2013, 6:22 AM 

The short answer is: yes, highly related!

The organ passage which ends the piece is the exact same progression in reversed order. The point of retrograde is the C# major chord at the centre of the 'amen'. ie: (...A F#m ([C#]) F#m A C#m...).

The entire progression moves in a simple harmonic manner. He exploits vi and VI relationships in an ongoing pattern. Proceeding this pattern is a V relation which both finishes the previous sequence of harmonies and begins a new sequence.

eg:

F Dm Bb Gm Eb Cm [G]
I vi
i VI
I vi
i VI
I vi
i [V]

Let me know if you have any questions, I analysed this piece a while ago. Apologies for being three years too late.

Current Topic - Beatitudes chord progression
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement