Forums IndexNews | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Gear Swap | Low Point Reports | Dogs | Ground Zero

POST/READ YOUR TRIP REPORTS
(please try to post under appropriate state)
Alaska | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

Return to Index  

Backbone Mountain, 18 July 2002

September 12 2002 at 1:49 PM

Response to Backbone Mountain, Maryland (3,360 Feet)

In July 2002 I was on a vacation trip to northeastern ballparks, so I decided to bag a couple of state high points while I was on the road.

I had spent the previous night at Frostburg, Md., a nice city with a state college campus attached. The drive down via MD-36, MD-135, and US-219 was very pleasant. The morning was not yet hot, but it was very humid. I made a brief stop at the nearby "smallest church" and "smallest postal facility," both of which were unstaffed and sold postcards on the honor system.

I found the trailhead easily on US-219 in West Virginia, and set out around 9:20a. I wore long Levi's in case I encountered any copperheads, but the only wildlife I saw were squirrels, chipmunks, and lots of bugs. Don't YOU forget your insect repellant! The trail is well-enough marked and pretty much intuitive. It is worth taking the very short detour to see the state-line monument, just before you reach the Maryland high point. Allowing for a couple of brief rests I reached the summit before 10:00a EDT, where I signed the register and took a couple of snapshots.

I can't say that I encountered any problems, and I certainly met no other hikers. There would have been a view from the top, but the high humidity made the atmosphere very hazy. The trip down took about 25 minutes. Then it was on to Mount Davis.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum