<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Effects of school caning

June 29 2002 at 11:55 AM
Fascinated_by_school_C.P. 

This is probably a silly question. I am too young to have been at schools where C.P. was used but I have always been fascinated by it.

I've often read accounts where boys (or girls) who were caned on the bottom found it hard to sit down in class afterwards.

Also, how long did the pain last?

This message has been edited by larry1951 on Jun 29, 2002 12:34 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sarajane

Re: Effects of school caning

June 29 2002, 1:59 PM 

This very much a case of 'how long is a piece of string?'.

I have no doubt that some school canings invoved a sharp sting with every stroke but no significant after-effects. On the other hand (or other bottom?), I know that it can be impossible to sit comfortably for the rest of the day during which one is caned.

On the same basis, I'm sure that some canings left no marks at all and that others (in the REALLY bad old days) left marks that lasted for weeks.

However, to answer your question without undue waffle, I'd say that a normal caning in the latter half of the 20th Century would leave the recipient with a sore bum for the rest of the day and marks that would take (in the case of girls) 2 or 3 days to fade.

JaneB

Effects - physical and mental

June 30 2002, 11:19 AM 

I can speak only from personal experience. I was caned once at school in the late 1960s for smoking – I’d have been sixteen at the time and it was the most painful experience imaginable. We had a Senior Mistress who seemed to place great store by the fact that any caning she administered was sure to be the traditional “six of the best” and no girl ever got away with less. She always caned on the bottom – skirts raised with just our knickers as “protection”.

I’d heard other girls describing the pain but nothing could have prepared me for the reality. I couldn’t believe how the pain just got worse and worse in the twenty seconds or so after each stroke. I left the study literally awash with tears, my bottom stinging quite appallingly, and I recall that I ran as quickly as I could to the girls’ toilets to hide myself away until I’d recovered some composure at least.

I’d always thought that the other girls had made a bit of a meal of the “can’t sit down” business but I was caned at lunchtime and I got a very nasty shock when I tried to sit down for the first lesson of the afternoon. I recall that, apart from the times when I had to write, I spent that afternoon sitting with my hands underneath my thighs, thereby raising my bottom an inch or so above my chair.

I looked at my bottom in the mirror in my room when I got home and there were six clearly visible red stripes across both cheeks. My bottom was very sore all that evening but by next day the pain had subsided and although I could still feel some effect for a couple of days, it was more of an irritation than real pain. The marks likewise faded in a similar timescale.

Whilst the physical effects had then gone, I recall that they were replaced by the psychological impact of it all. The Senior Mistress had seen me bent over in my knickers and had reduced me, a proud sixteen year old, to a sobbing, blubbering wreck. I still cringe when I think of it all these years later.

Spectator

Marks

June 30 2002, 4:51 PM 

I went to prep school in the 1960s and never came across a caning that left no marks. I formed the impression that some boys bruised more easily than others, but it was the norm for marks still to be clearly visible a week later.

Or perhaps they whacked boys harder?

Tim

Effects of school caning

July 3 2002, 10:37 PM 

In my experience, a serious school caning ached and throbbed continuously for several hours afterwards and when this had subsided we would feel some significant discomfort when moving suddenly or sitting down for a couple of days. The duration of the visible effects varied considerably. Some boys' weals would fade after four or fvie days while others', like mine, could still be sen ten days later.

Colsie

Effects

July 3 2002, 11:20 PM 

I think I can safely testify that in my case the soreness and initial pain had subsided after acouple of hour but the welts by the next day but the bruises remained for about 10 days making sitting rather uncomfortable at times especially on the hard wooden chairs.
This could also answer the question regarding the different types of canes as my last experience was at the age of 15 I was given the "senoir cane" for enscribing a ex girl friends name into the desk, as I said above the bruises lasted for some 10 days where as my previous canings were given with a shorter thinner stick and the marks had dissapeared after only a few days

PaulH

Re: Effects

December 8 2002, 1:08 PM 

I got one four stroke caning at school, aged 12. Like Jane I remember how the pain would intensify during the few seconds after each whack. The master who administered my caning obviously knew this full well, as he would wait for some considerable time before delivering the next stroke.

Strangely, although my backside was black and blue afterwards unlike Jane I don't recall having any great difficulty sitting down for the remainder of that day. However, my buttocks did ache for a few days afterwards. Perhaps these after affects vary according to the type of cane used?

Although unpleasant, the experience certainly didn't do me any pyshcological damage. Would be happy to discuss this further with you Jane if you want to email me.

Veron

Have your been caned before.??

July 11 2003, 1:50 PM 

It seems like you have been caned before,because you know quite well.!!!

Meilong

Sitting down after being caned.

July 12 2003, 1:47 AM 

I wonder if any of you were actually caned? I am inclined to doubt it.

First. whether it is painful sitting down afterwards depends own where and how you are sitting. I always believed it would be painful to sit down after a caning, until I actually got caned. I was surprised to find that when I got back to my classroom and sat down I did not feel any discomfort. This was because the seats on the desks were hard. I was not sitting on my bottom. (Not on the spot where I had been caned) When you sit, you you sit on the back of your thighs. The spot where the cane landed on my bottom was in the gap between the hard seat of the desk and the upright back rest. I could put my hand behind me and feel the bruises from the cane. Pressure on them caused me to wince. But I was not sitting on the stripes. No discomfort if I did not press the bruises.

Later, I was takem home in the car by my mother, Now sitting in a car seat is quite different. Now you sit on your bottom, not on your thighs. Try putting your hand on the spot where a cane lands, on the rounded part of your behind, when sitting in a car seat. Sitting on a caned bottom in a car is painful. The pressure from a car seat is directly on the bruises.

The answers to the question, is it painful to sit down after a caning is that it depends on what you sit on.

In the TV film The Laughing Revolutionary, the policeman, after birching the boy, remarks with a laugh that he would not be sitting down for a week. The boy to show his defiance jumps up on a hard bed, and he winces at the pain. However, the boy clearly only sat on his thighs, and this would not have been painful, so the wince of discompfort was merely histrionic and for the benefit of the camera and people who firmly believe in the cliche, "after a caning you will have to have your meals frmm the mantlepiece, standing up."

Pure rubbish. It entirely depends on what you sit and how you sit. It is not true to say that you willnot sit down for a week.

Seth

Re:

July 12 2003, 5:50 AM 

Apart from a blazing backside, I don't remember any particular discomfit when sitting down after a caning. We were expected to sit up 'straight' at our school desks. However, at home, slouched at the dinner table, I could certainly feel the fat 'sausages' which the master had slashed across my buttocks.

Karen

Footnote

July 12 2003, 8:08 AM 

The 1985 B.B.C. production of ‘The Laughing Revolutionary’, mentioned by Meilong, was known as ‘The Monocled Mutineer’ in the U.K.

navybloo

Fantasy or reality?

July 12 2003, 12:37 PM 

I have never been caned, but spend a good amount of my time wondering what the reality of this much-imagined experience is like.
My need to know comes, i admit, because my strongest sexual fantasies revolve around school cp. In the pursuit of those fantasies i have tried to write fiction which describes the facts of a school caning, and i have also attempted to capture the 'reality' of the traditional 'six of the best' in letters i have sent to various publications. However, i know that these imaginative efforts of mine lack authenticity.
Questions like the following might, if answered by one who knows, provide my literary efforts with the realism they lack:

- What hurts the most, the moment when the cane impacts, or the seconds after contact, when the effect of the stroke floods through the body?

-Does the effect of a cane-stroke 'flood through the body'? Is the sting confined to the bottom only, or does the sensation, as i once heard it described, reach right through to the fingertips and toes?

-Is it true that, as a contributor to this thread has it, that the pain stays for as long as 'twenty seconds' after the application? During this twenty seconds, does the pain deepen in intensity? At what stage within that twenty seconds does the pain begin to ebb away? Indeed does it 'ebb away'? What is the sensation like?

-Is the agony of a school caning cumulative? Does the sixth stroke hurt more than the first stroke?

-Is 'agony' the right word to describe what happens to the body when it is being caned? What words would those who have been punished in this manner use to recreate the experience?

-Does a cane-stroke on the bare bottom hurt more than a stroke given to the seat of the knickers? Or are we talking only about 'variations of agony', the protection provided by a single layer of clothing being too small to mention?

I would be fascinated to hear these questions answered by somebody who has undergone the ritual of a school caning; but can there be any way of knowing - really knowing - without going through the experience yourself?

PaulH

Effects of being caned

July 12 2003, 9:35 PM 

This is my recollection of the cane and know I don't think you can envision it unless you have actually experienced it. By the way, Meilong and Navybloo, are you male of female?

I was taken to the Senior Master's study. Quite the worst thing about this place was that it had a big uncovered window, so anybody could have looked in to see what was happening and eveybody knew what went on in there. I had to lean forward and grab the arms of a wooden armchair and was told to tuck my head in. Mercifully I was not obliged to drop my trousers, as was the tradition in many English boarding schools at that time. This spared me a lot of indignity and probably a fair bit of additional pain, but even so when the whacks started I have never experienced pain like it. The stinging in my buttocks was bad enough, but I also recall that it also travelled up my back and down my legs. I had experienced the slipper several times , but it was nothing compared to this. The Senior Master was a real pro and he seemed to delay each stroke until the pain from the previous blow was receding and this had the overall effect of making the whole ordeal seem like it was lasting a lot longer. I writhed around a bit after the first couple of strokes and was told to tuck my head in again and get back into position. In all I think got four strokes, but can consider myself fortunate that I didn't get the traditional six of the best. Even so I remember hopping about when it was all over and finding that no matter how hard I rubbed my bottom that awful stinging sensation just wouldn't go away. Eventually however it did subside and gave way to a warm red glow, which lasted for another half hour or so.

One thing that did mystify me was that I didn't have any problems sitting down afterwards. I have heard and read lots of accounts from boys or girls who were caned saying that they could not sit down for hours or even days after their canings, but I had no problem. However, just in case you were wondering whether this meant that I wasn't caned properly, I can assure you that my backside was striped black and blue for over a week afterwards!

Paul

Phil

Re: Effects of being caned

July 12 2003, 10:19 PM 

PaulH wrote, ‘The stinging in my buttocks was bad enough, but I also recall that it also travelled up my back and down my legs.’

I agree with this, but would add that if the stroke of the cane is severe enough, the pain feels as if it travels up to the roots of your hair and down to your toes. It is such a shock to the system.

Henry

re. effects of being caned

July 12 2003, 10:51 PM 

Blimey! Your description, Paul H, of being caned was so vivid I felt I was going through it with you! I was never caned, and your description makes me very thankful that I wasn't. Two questions: 1. why were you asked to keep your head down? Possible injury such as whiplash, perhaps?; and 2. how different was it from the slipper, in your opinion? I was the recipient of severe whackings with both gymshoes and real slippers at boarding school, and the immediate impact of both took my breath away, but the pain was confined only to the buttocks and not, thank God, the legs etc.. And within minutes it became just a warm feeling, like having stood too close to the fire! Was 4 strokes of the cane equal to, say, 10 with the slipper, or is it completely different?

Jackie

Cane v. Slipper

July 13 2003, 8:57 AM 

Any discussion of pain must, by its very nature be subjective. Research shows that redheads have a lower pain threshold than others.

I would say that the cane produces a sharp stinging pain, whereas the slipper gives a dull, but warming, feeling. Fran described it well when she wrote that the after effects of her slippering were a ‘warm glow’.

Gas Mask Wearer

Redbums

July 13 2003, 11:55 AM 

Yes, redheads are more sensitive to pain and Caucasians more sensitive than Negroids. (See my post about Josenthia called ‘Black Bottoms’ in the Corporal Punishment in Malaysia thread).

paulh

Effects of cane

July 13 2003, 5:16 PM 

Henry,

Not sure why I was told to tuck my head in. Maybe just to enforce the discipline of maintaining position, but guess that whiplash was also a consideration.

The sting of the cane was much sharper and more intense than the slipper and seemed to linger for much longer. Like I said the pain also travelled up and down my body, not so with the slipper. Also I never recall having marks after the slipper, but my backside looked like a motorway after the cane!

PaulH

Henry

effects of cane - response

July 14 2003, 12:14 AM 

Dear PaulH, Thanks mate. From what you say, getting the slipper was a walk in the park compared with the cane, and the description of your caning and its after-effects, which sounded pretty barbaric, makes you wonder why the practice wasn't made illegal much earlier. Slippering, in comparison, was far more humane - buttocks a little tender for a day or two after the event, and the only bruising I can recall getting was when I was given it on 2 consecutive days - not that it was a barbaric school or anything - I was just unlucky! You don't seem to harbour any resentment towards the master who inflicted such pain - admirable.
Not sure I would have the same attitude. Thanks for the response.

paulh

The cane

July 15 2003, 2:56 AM 

Henry,

I wouldn't say that the master who beat me was was top of my Xmas card list, but no I don't hold any lingering resentment. I was caned for cheating in an exam. However, I owned up to it, so I don't think that caning me set a terribly good precedant for what can happen if you are honest. But having said that, there were a few other occassions at school when I should probably have been caned and wasn't, so on balance I shouldn't really complain.

I don't think that caning is barbaric. I still think there is a time and a place for it for severe offences committed at school. At my school the cane was used sparingly which on the whole (my case excepted!) seemed about right. However, it did used to annoy me that only the boys were caned and not the girls. In my opinion if a boy or girl were say caught smoking together, then the principles of justice should dictate that they both go over the desk for six of the best together!

PaulH

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement