<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Tawse

November 20 2005 at 4:28 PM
Watson John 

Has any one experienced the tawse applied to the hand...male or female pupils. How long did its effect (pain)last, and did the palms swell? Has anyone ever given the 'belt'
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous Strath

Re: The Tawse

November 20 2005, 6:54 PM 

I received the belt at school in Scotland it is a very sharp pain and a shock to the system.
It was finally banned I think about 1987/1988 although Strathclyde and Lothian in Scotland banned it in 1982.
There were different techniques for teachers giving the belt and one never knew unless belted by that teacher "how to present the hands"
Most teachers settled for two or four strokes but serious crimes lead to six of the best very sore I can tell you.
If you wish John I will correspond privately with you.

Name edited. Anonymous contributions are not permitted on this forum.

This message has been edited by larry1951 on Nov 20, 2005 7:05 PM

John Burnett

Re:The belt

December 3 2005, 9:23 PM 

I attended a boys only school in Scotland between 1965 and 1971. There the teachers used the belt...it was never known as the tawse outside Edinburgh as I recall...was used as a daily aid to teaching.
I doubt if many boys avoided it and I was not alone in receiving it on more than one occasion. Belts came in various weights but the "XH" extra heavy was the popular choice in our secondary school.
It was usually applied across the palm of the hand but I have seen it delivered the length of the hand, one hand on the other or hands crossed. Whatever the efects were the same...very painful throbbing hands and a very subdued pupil.
I lived in fear of it for years,
John

will smith

Re: Re:The belt

December 5 2005, 9:52 PM 

Hi John

fancy corresponding you went to school roughly same time as me in scotland

punishedpalms

Re: Re:The belt

December 9 2005, 3:42 PM 

Also interested in corresponding on getting the strap on hands

Watson John

punishedpalms

December 28 2005, 1:05 PM 

I would like to respond but the system will not let me. Are you properly logged in?
John

james

Correspond

December 28 2005, 4:21 PM 

I`d be happy to respond to anyone who experienced the tawse or the cane from mid 70`s up to the abolition.Also most interested in hearing from Teachers who dished it out.Have lots of experience and accounts of those times.If you would like to try the tawse or the cane again let me know?

william

the tawse

January 4 2006, 3:20 PM 

my wife and i are school teachers at a all girl's private school.
we have spanked many a naugfhty girl.
otk hand spankings.
bending leaning over the teacher's school desk for the paddle wooden or leather.
the cane
and the strap or tawse as you call it.
all spankings are done on the naughty girl's bare bottom.
please write to william at:
intercourse692000@hotmail.com
thanks.

Not anonymous

Re: Correspond

January 5 2006, 4:59 PM 

Oh dear.

We have an infestation starting.

This guy "intercoursewhatever@wherever" is a serious pest poster on other message boards - always starting with "I and my wife are teachers etc etc etc".

Yeah right, of course you are!!!

james

Effect of the Tawse

January 6 2006, 7:58 PM 

When you mention tawse i asume you are reffering to the infamous Lochgelly tawse.It came in many versions 2 and 3 tailed.The most poular was the heavy or H.The M or medium was used a lot to.The XH extra heavy was the most feirce of them all and was a truly painfull weapon.2 frim strokes of the M would leave the hands stinging for about 20 minutes.2 from the H would see that increase to doule that.The XH left the hands almost numb with pain but was rarely used as far as i can recollect.Anyone who claims to have taken 6 of the best with an XH needs their story verified as i think this would never have been possible.The tawse was used as a quick method of maintaining or getting classroom order for most that worked but for some it never did or never would have worked.The tawse appied to the buttocks did go on, stricltly illegal but none the less it happened and i know from experience.Yes some teachers enjoyed using it and did get a sexual thrill from doing so but again most used it simply to keep order.

Watson John

logged in

January 25 2006, 12:33 PM 

Hello,
Thank you for replying. I assume that I am properly logged in. My email address is 'strafesix@hotmail.com' I look forward to hearing from you.
John

Watson John

tawse

February 3 2006, 11:34 AM 

Hi,
I would be very interested in hand tawsing/caning. It would be fscinating to make a comparison of their relevant effectiveness. Also interested in School Experiences.
John

john hill

tawse

October 21 2008, 1:17 AM 

last time i got hit with tawse was november 1978 , i reckon the teachers did it for fun,

Subscriptions Manager

October 21 2008, 6:35 AM 

We’ve had Fun Posters, Fun Bummers, Fun Slipperers and now it’s

Fun Tawsers!

Keep tawsing!

Angela

The Tawse

December 11 2008, 2:54 PM 

This is about the time when I was in my fifth year at school and had arrived back late to an English class. My teacher was a Mrs. Stewart. Her class was our first after lunch on a Thursday. We were constantly late. One day myself and 3 friends arrived as normal at her class. The rest of class were sitting at their desks and Mrs. Stewart had begun the lesson. The four of us had walked through the classroom door and had made our way to sit down at our desks. Suddenly, Mrs. Stewart called out, "You four can come down here to the front-now! The four of us, Eileen, Anne, Julie and myself walked out to front of the class. Mrs. Stewart then said, I have had enough of people coming in late and disrupting my lesson. You think because you are senior pupils, you can get away with anything you want. Well you can't. You are the top fifth formers and I expect better behaviour from you." I thought about what was going to happen. Mrs. Stewart pulled out her 21 inch, 2 tailed tawse from a drawer in her desk. Right, I am going to make an example of you and hopefully, there will less repeats of this late coming to my class in future." The four of us were lined up beside her desk. Eileen was first in the queue. Mrs. Stewart then put her tawse over her shoulder to administer it." You first, Eileen" Eileen held out her hands the left one over the right. After 3 strokes had been delivered, Mrs. Stewart then said" Other hand, please" and Eileen then put her right hand over her left. Another 3 strokes were administered. Anne and Julie then received their six. I was the smallest person of the four and was last. Right Angela, now for you."
I can only remember the shock and embarrassment of receiving the "belt" in front of the class. Certainly it was sore! However, I never felt like crying or anything like that. Also, I was always on time in future, at least for her class. It was most unusual for top fifth formers to be given the belt but this teacher really was a bit envious of us and had been looking for an excuse to bring us down a peg or two. I remember thinking to myself "bitch" at the time.
I received the "belt" on numerous occasions both at primary and secondary school. It did not really bother me. To me, it was just something that happened at school. Many teachers used their tawse for more or less nothing. I cannot recall how many times in total that I was on the receiving end of the "belt." I received the belt a few times in primary for being late, talking and most often for spelling mistakes. In Scotland, prior to the abolition of the tawse, there was the dreaded spelling test. This typically consisted of the teacher asking for 10 words to written down on a paper. These papers would be handed in for correction and then one by one you would go out to the teacher's desk to collect your corrected work. For every mistake you made you received one stroke of the "belt" upto a maximum of six. Contrary to what various Websites tend to convey, I never once saw or heard of a tawse being used across the bottom. At secondary, in the first 3 years, I received the belt for talking, forgetting books and not having Gym kit. Sometimes, I did not bring the Gym kit on purpose as I did not like the P.E. class. At the start of the P.E. lesson, I would normally go and tell the teacher that I did not have my Gym Kit. Sometimes, I would told to sit outside in the changing room, sometimes, I would be given 2 of the belt and occasionally, I would be told to do press ups. I was not too keen on the press-ups but 2 of the belt more often than not seemed worth it to get out of doing P.E. In some of the Websites, mention is made of girls being put across gym vaults, desks etc, and being punished across the bottom having had their pants being taken down. I cant say that I ever heard of this being done, certainly not in Scotland.
Usually, only 2 strokes of the belt were received in the early years. The episode I have told you about in fifth year was from memory the only time I received the belt in my final school year. It was rare for the top fifth formers to receive the belt. I am now a teacher and am glad that the use of the tawse has been abolished. I do not think it is my job to act as a "policewoman" and as I have said earlier I am not tall and therefore would find it embarrassing giving the "belt" to some tall person or anyone else for that matter. In addition, there are other ways of dealing with unruly pupils rather giving them the belt. Also, in instances of really wild behaviour such as fighting or being in possession of a knife, using foul language, the pupils involved are unlikely to hold out their hands for punishment. Corporal punishment could now really only be administered to reasonably behaved pupils. This would lead to many teachers like myself loosing control of the class where unruly pupils have lost it. As I said, there are methods such as psychology is more effective. For example, when I walk into a class there is immediate silence. This is a respect that has been earned over many years. Good teachers have an aura about them which commands respect and obedience even from the most unruly of students. The same respect would not be earned simply because I had the authority to swing a belt.
As stated, I am not bitter about the abolition of the tawse and do not regret the fact that it was used when I was at school. I probably deserved it most of times. It certainly never did me any harm. The fifth form episode, for example, Mrs. Stewart probably felt she had to do something but to give 6 strokes was a bit much but I had to bear in mind that I was a big girl at that time. As far as I was concerned, there was never any lasting hatred of a teacher (even Mrs. Stewart who believe it or not was to be colleague when I was given my first teaching post only 6 years later) that gave me the belt and they certainly did not allow it to linger on their mind. The belt was administered and that was it. In some ways, I possibly am glad the tawse was used when I was at school as the punishment was over and done with quickly whereas the use of detentions, suspensions, punishment exercises and expulsions has a more lasting effect especially on your record. However, I am glad that I do not have to use a belt.

Subscriptions Manager

December 12 2008, 11:00 AM 

The above piece sent in by 'Angela' first appeared on a fetish site several years ago.

http://www.spanking.ukf.net/fr%20stories.htm

stefanie

the tawse at school

September 10 2010, 11:54 AM 

i remember getting the tawse at school from my hadmistress, twice on each hand, it hurt and had a sharp burning sting to it really unpleasent, took a while for it to wear of.

Nelly from Lochgelly

The tawse on the hands

September 11 2010, 2:46 PM 

Administering the leather tawse to the palms of outstretched hands was normal practice in Scotland's schools. It could be extremely painful because there was no protection from the sting of the belt and most of the belts teachers' used were made from very thick, stiff, hard and dense leather. Most had 2 tails, some 3.

The tails of the belt are moving very fast as they come down from over the teacher's shoulder to lash the full length of the palm and fingers. The pain caused is unique and often excruciating. Often the other hand has then to be presented for another stroke to be administered, or the first hand strapped again. Up to 6 stokes could be administered.

The very intense and throbbing pain could last fully 10 to 15 minutes followed by it slowly reducing over the following hour. Parts of the hands could be left numb after a couple of strokes, releasing their pain later while, if the belt landed slightly on its side, red lines could be seen where the edge of the tails dug into the hand. If a stroke landed "high" (an inch or two up the wrists) the tails could leave nasty red marks or weals or purple "tail tip bites" where the ends of the tails had bitten into the wrist.

The hands and fingers were usually left red after a belting and sometimes also puffy or swollen if they had been soundly leathered. It was very difficult to write after you had been belted.

The pain and humiliation of a typical school belting in Scotland was not something the pupil forgot, and these beltings occurred remarkably frequently in virtually every Scottish school up to the 1980's.

Andrew

Getting the belt

November 21 2010, 4:01 PM 

I went to school in the sixties and the tawse or belt as we called it was in common and frequent use. I first felt it's sting in primary three aged seven years. I received it frequently from then until the end of my school career. Nearly every teacher in primary and secondary school had their own belt. If the belt had been made by a sadler called Dick whose shop was in a village called Lochgelly then the belt was usually called a lochgelly. The belt was usually made in two lengths, 21inch and 24inch. A lot of the female teachers used the 21 inch lochgelly because they liked the shorter belt. The best belters in the school usually had an H or an XH lochgelly and two of the belt from them could result in very sore hands for a while. It was also important to try and not get the belt or cold hands and the sting could increase twicefold.

Andrew

Nathan

Tawse v Cane

November 22 2010, 3:31 AM 

As a recipient of the cane administered to my buttocks on several occasions I have often wondered it sitting down after a caning was worse than having to write after having hands strapped or caned. When I was caned I found it difficult to sit for about 15 minutes after my punishment and the throbbing would subside over and hour later. For those who were whacked on the hands I have wondered how they hid their hands from parents when they returned home, unlike those punished on the bottom it would have been difficult to hide swollen hands.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement