<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Caning at home

April 23 2006 at 4:22 PM
Eric B 

Did anyone else on here get caned at home by their parents?

I did several times, and it far was worse than a school caning. At school there were limits, usually four or six strokes, and you were caned over your trousers. At home it was trousers down and a caning on the bare bum with no limit, it went on until your mum or dad thought you had had enough.

I am of the older generation and a lot of my contempories had parents who had a cane at home. Most of us feared getting caned at home far more than at school.

Eric B

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lotta Nonsense

Re: Caning at home

April 23 2006, 8:56 PM 

In our house we were whipped with barbed wire every morning whether we'd misbehaved or not then it was off to the factory where we worked 36 hrs a day for tuppence a fortnight and every night when we got home my mother would burn us all to death just for the fun of it.

Eric had it easy.

Murray E

April 24 2006, 8:52 PM 

It didn't do Lotta much good then did it?

Rez

April 24 2006, 11:27 PM 

In our house we were whipped with barbed wire every morning whether we'd misbehaved or not then it was off to the factory where we worked 36 hrs a day for tuppence a fortnight and every night when we got home my mother would burn us all to death just for the fun of it.

Eric had it easy.

(Lotta Nonsense)

Lotta,
How can anyone not love you? You're hysterically funny!

George

at home

April 25 2006, 11:02 AM 

This is what made caning at school so dangerious and open to use by some teachers. Pupils would not tell their parents that they had been naughty at school, knowing they would be punished at home as well. It was not until about 1970 that attitudes started to change and pupils tell parents what went on at school.

Indeed, a lot of heads use to say " I wont tell your parents this time."

George

Richard

April 25 2006, 11:35 AM 

I wasn't caned at home but did receive the cane from my piano teacher in the early eighties for having not practiced enough.

My piano teacher was an older lady, probably in her fifties who lived with another older lady. She was probably a lesbian thinking about it now.

I'd been having lessons with her for several months without any hint of corporal punishment but for a few weeks I hadn't been practising at home and one week she got so cross that she said "That's it. I'm going to give you the cane!".

I was totally shocked having never had the cane ever before and having never seen one. I was about 11 years old at the time.

She made be bend over her sofa and gave me six strokes across my trousers. I was in tears and never told my parents when they collected me - nor did she.

After that I made sure that I always practiced thoroughly and she didn't have to cane me again. My lessons stopped about a year later.

mimi encore

April 25 2006, 11:58 AM 

I did not get any CP at home.
However the local hardware shop in N London, which was in those days ( 50/60s) was commonly called the "oil shop" ( where people could get parrafin amongst most household items) one could purchase school canes.
There always seemed to be lots of them standing in a container on display.
I imagine this means that they were purchased and used in the home.
Anyone else remember such things?
mimi

Veronica Soh.

April 25 2006, 12:13 PM 

When i failed my exam,my mom will cane me[1 subject fail = 3 strokes]on the buttocks with skirt & pantyhose on,but still very painful.!

Research Assistant

April 25 2006, 12:53 PM 

It is always a delight to hear from our Honorary Life Member, retired headmaster George. I miss the bits of Middle English that are usually thrown in, but nevertheless,

Kepen posteen!

Your charming little piece, Richard, is reminiscent of one of the stories written by the fantasist James, reproduced unedited here below. His complete ramblings can be found in the ‘Childhood Dreams’ thread.

'Miss Lawrence made her classroom a home from home. She was a warm hearted woman who had no trouble with disipline because all us ten year olds loved her but i was the only one to admit it to my friend Fat Freddy. He told all the others and they bullied me. At playtime they formed a circle round me and pointed at me and shouted ‘You love Miss Lawrence’ It made me cry and i said to them ‘When i get big i will be a very important man with a big car and a big house in North London and when you come and ask me for a job i won,t give you one so there! Then i went and told Miss Lawrence hoping that she would give me a smack on the bottom but she just said ‘don,t be a ninny’.
Later at night tucked up in my little wooden bed i imagined that she was giving me a piano lesson on the Grieg Concerto and every time i palyed a wrong note she gave me a smack on the bottom. My little hands couldn,t stretch to the opening big A minor chord and so every time i tried i got a smack on the bottom. She smacked me with a slipper while i was bending over the piano stool. She caned me with my pants on while i was lying across the keyboard. She put me inside her grand piano and pulled out one of the strings and hit me on the bottom with it.
Next time i’ll tell you about how i fantasised about how Miss Lawrence put me in a tea chest called the box of whacks and then smacked my bottom.'

In addition to oil shops, mimi encore, canes were also sold in sweet shops, or sweat shops as the writer of the following calls them. The piece, entitled ’Penny Canes’ can be found in the_good_old_days Yahoo Group, presided over by the formidable Joan Riley.

'I remember those penny canes well they were sold in the sweat shops near the schools too. I don't remember them costing penny it was more like shilling in my days. But the worsed [sic] canes were the school canes issues by the British Home office a legal size and length for all corporal punishment. They were I remember about 12-14mm thick and exactly three feet long. How much they hurt depended on the force of use and whether bottom pretection [sic] was allowed and often for me it was not. Some teachers had a thick special cane not legal but hurt like hell and was used for the disgrace punishments. Today we would think all this was terrible but to me it was just things that happen when you were growing up. Janet James'

Lotta Nonsense

April 25 2006, 2:41 PM 

Richard,

You live in a dream world.

EricB

Canes sold by sweet shops

April 25 2006, 3:31 PM 

My father bought a cane for me when I was about seven.

We walked one day to the local Newsagent Confectioner tobacconist, where he normally bought his paper and cigarettes. He bought me a few sweets and then spotted some canes and bought one, saying to me that it was for me when I was naughty.

When we got home he told my mother she was to use it if needed because he was in the Navy and was going away for a long time. As it turned out I never saw him again as he was killed in the war.

I don’t think that he ever expected that she would use it, I am sure he felt the threat was enough. I was also convinced that my mother would never use it either.

However after about a year or two when I was about nine I suppose, I did something that really upset her. So she got the cane and dragged be upstairs took down my trousers and pants and caned me hard maybe about ten or twelve times. I don’t know exactly as I wasn’t counting, but it was a lot more than I ever got as school.

She caned my twice more during my time at home, each time I got about a dozen on the bare.

I await Lotta’s comments.

She (?) will no doubt shout fiction but I wish it was. My bum at the time didn’t think so. Something must have caused the fire.

EricB

Lotta Nonsense

April 25 2006, 6:04 PM 

Eric,

You live next door to Richard.

Denis D

I was caned at home

May 1 2006, 2:13 AM 

I was caned at home, but not with a purchased cane. Living near the river thames; and having been forbidden to go accross the field to it, my sister and I did not expect the punishment we got for our disobedience.
Mother had cut a thin whippy cane from the garden, which she told us we were both going to be punished with. I was seven, and my sister Gillian was eleven. We were ordered to our bedrooms. Punishment for us usually meant a smack round the legs...But not this time. Gillian got it first. I heard mother tell her to lay on the bed. Then I heard a few hard strokes of the cane. Mother said, "I want you to remember this, so I am going to pull your knickers down" I think Gillian got about twelve cuts accross her bare bottom. I was terrified.
Mother left her crying and came to me. She undid my short trousers and pulled them down. "Lay accross the bed" she ordered. I obeyed. I think I got about six strokes accross my underpants.Pulling my pants down, she saidsomething like,"Maybe the cane round your bare bottom will teach you obedience my boy." The several stinging strokes mad me yell, and the lines were there for some days. It was not the last time she caned me, though it was rare. My sister also got the cane at other times. Usually we got it for disobedience or lying.
I do believe it was deserved, but also that it has left me with an interest in this subject.

Denis D

I was caned at home

May 1 2006, 2:17 AM 

I was caned at home, but not with a purchased cane. Living near the river thames; and having been forbidden to go accross the field to it, my sister and I did not expect the punishment we got for our disobedience.
Mother had cut a thin whippy cane from the garden, which she told us we were both going to be punished with. I was seven, and my sister Gillian was eleven. We were ordered to our bedrooms. Punishment for us usually meant a smack round the legs...But not this time. Gillian got it first. I heard mother tell her to lay on the bed. Then I heard a few hard strokes of the cane. Mother said, "I want you to remember this, so I am going to pull your knickers down" I think Gillian got about twelve cuts accross her bare bottom. I was terrified.
Mother left her crying and came to me. She undid my short trousers and pulled them down. "Lay accross the bed" she ordered. I obeyed. I think I got about six strokes accross my underpants.Pulling my pants down, she said something like,"Maybe the cane round your bare bottom will teach you obedience my boy." The several stinging strokes mad me yell, and the lines were there for some days. It was not the last time she caned me, though it was rare. My sister also got the cane at other times. Usually we got it for disobedience or lying.
I do believe it was deserved, but also that it has left me with an interest in this subject.

Denis D

I was caned at home

May 1 2006, 2:24 AM 

Mother left her crying and came to me. She undid my short trousers and pulled them down. "Lay accross the bed" she ordered. I obeyed. I think I got about six strokes accross my underpants.Pulling my pants down, she said something like,"Maybe the cane round your bare bottom will teach you obedience my boy." The several stinging strokes mad me yell, and the lines were there for some days. It was not the last time she caned me, though it was rare. My sister also got the cane at other times. Usually we got it for disobedience or lying.

Rez

Re: I was caned at home

May 1 2006, 4:12 AM 

I do believe it was deserved, but also that it has left me with an interest in this subject. (Dennis D)

Yeah, one of the little by-products of parenting with a cane---little fetishists are made. I got made with a bathbrush rather than a cane, but same idea.

I wonder if in a few years there will be "time out" fetishists. Maybe...but I doubt it.

Wow, what an opportunity!

May 1 2006, 4:28 AM 

Can you guess what comes next?

It's simply amazing. I still can't believe what I'm about to tell you.

Not yet born, but invisibly there watching Denis and 37 million other fantasists at the same time!

(Denis is fast asleep while the above story is taking place of course.)

It's just incredible. The talent is utterly astounding and unprecedented. So is the humility - not once in hundreds of near identical posts has she even hinted at her own miraculous powers!

Watch this space closely because she'll shortly be here to tell you the truth....

H-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-r's Lotta!

Lotta Nonsense

May 1 2006, 8:50 AM 

Denis D,

Is your surname 'Lusional' by any chance?

Sir Les Patterson

An Offer

May 1 2006, 10:39 AM 

My sister has a white handled pocket knife if anyone wants to borrow it to cut cane.

Steve M

May 1 2006, 12:12 PM 

LOTTA

More like D
idnt get the point of why this punishment was inflicted, as it's been posted three times!

or D

oesn't quite get this new IT lark!

Jane Doe

caning at home

March 26 2008, 11:38 AM 

I to was caned at home, every friday without fail either for punishment for things I had done or not done as the case may be, or as 'Maintenance' for crimes undetected as my mother used to say. Minimum of six hard cuts, on the bare bottom, more usually twelve, punishment was never less than eighteen often more.

Bozo

Cane

March 26 2008, 6:47 PM 

Reads like the Reaares Letters Page from a 1972 Searchj or Relate Fetish magazine!
One still comes across "evidence"of past C.P at places like tips,boot sales,jumble sales and the like,
nothing overt mind you more like circumstantial.
the hosue clearence with a pile of stuff from the old garage of a family where the children have long moved away.
Amongst the long forgotten toys and rubbish lie broken canes,hairbrushes,curious flat backed boardy things strips of whippy materiel,odd thick leather belts permanently folded in half and missing buckes,
once great excitment was evinced over the discovery in a box at ivate boys prep school clear out of a large medieval wooden instrument with lots of large protuding spikes and nails some 3" long on one side!!
After initial shock and trepidation with visions of a Jersey type
discovery it was confirmed to be a "Carpet Drager"used to drag the pile on carpets-they said-but they would wouldnt they?
It looked fearsome.

C. Matthews

Caning At Home

May 6 2008, 7:56 AM 

I was caned both at school and at home.

In our house there was a golden rule that if you were caned at school you got another dose at home. If you owned up to our parents first then it would not be as hard as it would be if they found out from school.

I always feared the cane at home as it was always on the bare backside and the effects would last for days on end. At school it was rarely more than fifthenn strokes and you only got it on the bare backside if you jumped up or tried to rub whilst being caned.

Steve M

May 6 2008, 8:26 PM 

What if you were caned at home?

Did you then get caned at school as well?

Or should that be caned at THE home-The Greta Garbo School for Wayward Boys and Girls, perhaps?

Steve M

Falling Star

Caning at home

May 7 2008, 5:05 PM 

I think this may be a regional thing. Not one girl I knew (who was willing to talk about it that is!), was ever caned at home. The belt was the implement of choice. I lived in the north of England as a kid, and about four years ago I was in a brief house-share with a lady from Derby, who talked about it quite openly. She too was given a dose of her father's belt when she misbehaved, or was sent home from school with a note. Apparently her father had to go to the school once to collect her, because she'd been caught on the school roof retrieving a ball, and caned for it. She's in her mid-40s now, so that would have put her in secondary school(sorry can't relate to this US-style year-whatever),in the mid-70's.

Masked Avenger

To Steve M

May 10 2008, 7:32 AM 

Steve, He legally changed his name years ago. He used to be known as Jack, and he lived in the back of the Greta Barbo School for Wayward Boys and Girls, where George who lives by a lake was Headmaster and DD was his Assistant Head.

george

May 10 2008, 10:46 AM 

I WISH PEOPLE WHO DID NOT HAVE SOMETHING SENSIBLE AND CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY WOULD NOT POST ON THE SITE.

IT WAS THE FACT THAT CHILDREN WERE SCARED OF GETTING ANOTHER CANING AT HOME IF THEY GOT ONE AT SCHOOL,THAT THEY NEVER TOLD THEIR PARENTS. THIS OF COURSE DID ALLOW SOME TEACHERS TO ABUSE PUPILS, AND THEY WOULD KNOW THE ONES THAT WOULD not TELL THEIR PARENTS IF THEY WERE CANED.

tHIS BEING SCARED OF MORE PUNISHMENT AT HOME IS WHY MANY BOYS WOULD PREFER TO HAVE THE SLIPPER THAN A DETENTION.

CERTAINLY IN THE TEN YEARS BEFORE THE CANE WAS ABOLISHED IT WAS KNOWN THAT IF CERTAIN BOYS WERE CANED THEIR PARENTS WOULD COMPLAIN even for the most deserved canings for offences like theft. It was tempting at times not to cane these boys to save the aggrovation from parents. On the other hand you knew some parents would give another caning if they got one at school and while not hiding the fact did not inform the parents that a caning had been given.I must say that the majority of parents felt that after i had caned a boy no further punishment was needed. This added punishment at home was mainly the result of ineffective caning at school, due to clothing providing too much protection or regulations limiting the punishment to 2 or 3 strokes.

George

May 10 2008, 3:14 PM 

GEORGE

Unfortunately, if people keep posting ridiculous garbage about the 20-stroke bare bottom canings they received at home every week, they can expect a suitably acid response from some of us.

I've no doubt there once was a time when a school caning would inevitably be followed at home by a repeat dose in certain circles. What I also don't doubt was that parents who consistently mistreated their children as some of the one-handed typists like to pretend they were treated would have ended up in court, probably shafted by the teacher.

And this DID happen. The same Headmaster who caned my Father's bare bottom in a Colchester primary school around 1933 or 34 also found out about another boy's parents who were consistently thrashing their child, and had them taken to court and fined.

Furthermore,he also discovered another boy whose father and grown-up brother were using him for target practice of the golden rivet variety. Luckily, both were jailed.

A shame we can't deal with some of the paedos on here in the same manner, but that's progress, I believe!

Steve M

ukboy

itallian mum

April 17 2009, 3:08 PM 

My mum used a carpet beater back in the 70s, I think many Italian mum punished their boys that way. I know that two of my English friends got caned at home too.

Scotty the Occasional Poster

I know of only one confessed home caning

April 21 2009, 8:13 PM 

This was in the early 1970s and was administered to a boy who must have been about 10 as told to me by his gleeful older brother = but he did at least stress it happened only once.

Maybe more happened, but somehow I think it was very rare or never at all.

Scotty

caned at home on bare bottom

June 1 2009, 3:38 PM 

i was caned on bare bum by my aunty when i lived in prague
in 1970 10 strokes over a birching stool naked age 9

Ketta

June 1 2009, 4:59 PM 

How strange ........Ones bum usually is bare when naked

Another_Lurker

June 1 2009, 10:52 PM 

Hi Ketta. A very pertinent observation regarding the fact that when one is naked one's bum is invariably bare. Sadly a fact of life that michael doesn't seem to have taken on board.

I hesitate to be too sceptical about his post as there are those who have genuinely been traumatised by the corporal punishment they have received and for whom posting in this estimable Forum is a cry for help.

However, I generally form certain conclusions if the poster is:
  1. Male.
  2. Claims to have been punished naked.
  3. Claims to have been punished by a woman, especially an aunt or close female relative other than their mother.
Needless to say my conclusions do not usually incline me to say 'Oh dear, old chap, I fully understand what a dreadful experience that must have been and how it has soured the rest of your life'. Instead I usually think CFNM/CP fantasist.

I'd quite like to know why michael's aunt had a birching stool though!

BTW Ketta, did you sort out anything on your notebook web connectivity problem?

HRH

Caning at home

June 2 2009, 12:10 AM 

I am not familiar with the term "golden rivet". Please explain.

Another_Lurker

June 2 2009, 9:10 AM 

Please don't explain Steve. This is a family Forum and we don't want you banned! happy.gif

ISOTOPE FEENY

Caning at home

June 3 2009, 5:30 AM 

I used to stay with my aunt during the school holidays and she was quite the disciplinarian. However being of Scottish extraction she favored the tawse rather than the cane. Any misbehavior usually meant that the tawsing stool was produced and I had to bend over it. My skirt was then lifted and I was given 4 with my knickers up and then another 4 with my knickers around my ankles.

Mostly the punishments were well deserved if a tad harsh. We got on very well together and she is a fine woman.

HRH

Caning at home

June 4 2009, 12:06 AM 

Where did your aunt purchase the tawsing stool?

ISOTOPE FEENY

Caning at home

June 4 2009, 9:10 AM 

My aunt used to own an emporium in Aberdeen that specialised in hand made furniture including birching stools and tawsing stools. She told me both were very popular and she had trouble keeping up with the demand.

Davies

June 4 2009, 10:45 AM 

Well the Misses (wifey) although was never caned at home she did get her fair share of whackings. We have talked about this quite alot and most were no more that a clip round the ear as she says or a smack on her behind. A few times they were more formal. Seems like it was always her dad who meated it out and never mum although she was quick of the mark somtimes to tell her she would let her dad know if she was in trouble. 1 memorable story was she broke the glass in an upstairs landing window. One of those large ones that stretch from the ceiling to the floor. It was A victorian style town house. Anyway she smashed the glass which was plated or coloured or somthing and her mum went bonkers. Told her to clear of to her room and her dad would deal with her when hegot back from work. Anyway fast forward wife in bedroom dad comes home - 2 mins later he shouted up the stairs - and he used her first and last name. When she was telling the event she laughed saying she always knew she was doomed if he called by her first and last name! Fast forward more she goes down stairs to face the music he goes mental with her (it was an accident btw ) she is kind of stuck for words trys to say it was not on purpose which made him even madder. Then shock horror he tells her she is going to get "walloped" his exact words. she was around 14 at the time and coudlnt belive it!!! (and neither could I as she told me this wink.gif anyway he then pulls her over turns her around yanks up her skirt and yanks down the knickers. Next minute she is over his lap head spinning getting her bum whacked. It dont bother her in hindsight and she actually thinks its quite funny now ... but she did say it hurt like hell and he spanked her for what seemed like forwever. Also she was horrifed she got it on the bare at that age. It only ever happend one more time in her life and then he tried again a 3rd time but she refused and told him to lay of! lol ... which he did. All cool now and she still loves pappa but funny story. And yes it did happen happy.gif just wish I had been their to see it wink.gif))))) Davies

HRH

Caning at home

June 4 2009, 11:56 AM 

It sounds like the family of your trouble and strife were a bunch of cheapskates. Couldn't they afford a tawse and a tawsing stool?

Ketta

June 4 2009, 5:35 PM 

A_L

Im afraid I agree with you re poster Michael to say nothing his feeding the imagination of fantasy brigade with the mention of the Birching stool, slightly more realistic than the latest in invention of their tawse-proof knickers. Those private girls schools in Scotland were certainly money well wasted.

Currently having to plough all the rubbish inundating every thread, I missed your questionre the Shergar reference in Idiots of forums thread. I had thought it one of Steve Ms quotes, but was non other than Lotta, sadly many moons ago, readily knocking the wind out of yet another fantasy posting.

As for the notebook, Ive downloaded XP to the memory stick and not much else, Ill update the progress, but it may be a couple of weeks, we live in the midst of the silly season of the TT where life and work is one big upheaval, and available time has to be juggled.

Ketta

Steve M

June 4 2009, 8:30 PM 

For the benefit of HRH

Golden Rivet is a naval euphemism for a particular act of beastliness. The Victorians referred to it, in part, as "The love that dare not speak its' name".

Now, if the two participants are both non-female, that would NOT be a situation where the Victorians talked about Sapphic tendencies. That was the other part referred to in the paragraph above.

You may therefore realise that the particular act, in its' final physical manifestation, is difficult to describe accurately other than via our particular euphemism. Discussing Uganda is wildly inaccurate in this context, I'm afraid.

That and any other phrase are also inappropriate; probably as inappropriate as the use of matted cococnut tobacco from those candy smoking sets we got as children would have been in gyms, or even in exclusive non-male tuck-shop tawsing ceremonies.

Steve M

Another_Lurker

June 4 2009, 11:39 PM 

Hi Ketta. Thank you for the update on the Notebook. Don't worry about updating me, you are obviously getting along ok. I was just concerned in case you were stuck.

You say:

Currently having to plough all the rubbish inundating every thread

I agree entirely. At the risk of offending the management of this estimable Forum, for whom I have the utmost respect, I really cannot see why they don't block access for HRH and his cohorts of cretins. Or, failing that, why their posts aren't simply deleted. The Forum is becoming totally unusable. I think I'm a fair minded person, and I've no objection to a bit of fun, but we are way beyond that stage now. If Mimi, who has been posting here for years, can have postings deleted merely for querying the authenticity of another poster, why on earth are we putting up with posts about liquorice tawses, petting farms, gold coins, George Formby, Miss Martindale and depleted uranium knickers, none of which have the slightest relevance to the subject of the Forum, and which are of no help or use to anyone using the Forum for its proper purpose.

As for those regular contributors who are answering questions posed by HRH and co, you are doing yourself and everyone else a disservice. You know who you are. Please stop it!

Declan

June 5 2009, 7:06 AM 

A_L

I greatly respect your contributions to this forum, but on the subject of HRH I feel you are going over the top. There is surely room for all sorts of contributions even if his are becoming increasingly off topic.It is not as though he is blocking other more relevant and interesting views.

To be honest I have found the recent stuff about George Formby very amusing. As to using multiple identities, I noticed that the management pointed out straightaway that ap and Miss UK were the same person, but have not done so with HRH, Gemma and others who I suspect are the same person.

It only takes a couple of seconds to check out the fun posters, so they can be easily ignored if you wish.

As I say I greatly value your contributions to this forum so please keep posting

Another_Lurker

June 5 2009, 11:41 PM 

Please accept my apologies Declan. I was in a foul mood yesterday evening having spent the afternoon trying to explain the relatively easy to understand Microsoft licensing system to an idiot who, since it involved him spending money, was determined not to understand it. The admittedly relatively minor depredations of HRH & Co that day caused me to see red, and sadly I'm ashamed to admit that I went somewhat over the top. In very slight mitigation I'll point out that I did say 'those regular contributors'. You weren't the only one!

I've now decided that as HRH & Co seem to be a fact of life here I'd better engage with them a little myself and I shall be doing so as soon as I've traced the relevant post.

HRH

Caning at home

June 5 2009, 11:57 PM 

The explanation of the term "golden rivet" was very confusing and contained some other phrases of which I have no idea. But since I guess they all have adult connotations then I think we best forget about it.

I was more interested in the posting by ISOTOPE FEENY in which she mentions that her aunt used to own an emporium that sold tawsing stools. I would be interested in the prices of same.

Alan Turing

Fun posters

June 6 2009, 10:57 AM 

Another_Lurker:

As I've mentioned before, I do feel that there are occasional worthwhile comments hidden within some of the fun posts, and that we ought to try to encourage this aspect. One that caught my eye was this, posted by HRH in "To tawse or not ..." at 8:45am on June 4 2009:

As for non-female teachers slippering girls, it might have occurred at some time and place in history, but I am quite sure that any genuine teacher who did this would not be posting on this forum but would be keeping quiet about it.

This is not too far from my own position, which would be something like:

... any genuine teacher who did this would probably not be posting on this forum but would be keeping quiet about it.

But that one word "probably" makes all the difference. Individuals vary, and occasionally one finds someone who acts in a way which you wouldn't have expected. I find JJ's posts entirely consistent with this. He's either a better short-story writer than anyone I've ever read before, or else he's real. I believe the latter.

Another point concerns your belief that all the fun posts are the result of a single individual. But I'd be inclined to guess that ISOTOPE FEENY is not the same person as HRH. The reason lies in the responses to Plagiarism Monitor in "To tawse ...". HRH referred to "the European court of justice in the Hague" which is, perhaps, a common misconception, whereas ISOTOPE FEENY got it right without prompting 44 minutes later with "the International Court of Justice in the Hague". Perhaps these individuals would care to confirm?

Incidentally, as you know, I sometimes post under different names in order to make particular points: recent incarnations include Enid Blyton, Sherlock Holmes/Dr Watson, and Plagiarism Monitor, as I'm sure you guessed. But none of these noms-de-plume claims to be an invididual who is reporting an experience of his/her own life; they are simply making comments (rude or otherwise) about other posts. I wouldn't mind at all if the fun posters did the same. The problem arises when they say "this happened to me", when clearly it didn't.

Another_Lurker

June 6 2009, 9:40 PM 

Hi Alan Turing. A very reasoned critique of fun posters, this estimable Forum, and the universe in general! But then you are a reasonable person, as benefits a very highly qualified Mathematician. Sadly I am not reasonable, at least not insofar as fun posters are concerned. Be they one person or fifty, I'd flog the lot of them, and then hang a few 'pour encourager les autres'! I was very sad that you didn't get PC Plod started on the necessary processes in your manifestation as Enid Blyton.

As I've said before, my problem is that I simply can't find any way to empathise with HRH, ISOTOPE FEENY and their ilk. There are simply too many unanswered (and possibly unanswerable) questions. What goes on in their warped minds? Why don't they start their own Forum instead of wrecking this one? Haven't they got even one genuine (or genuine sounding) school CP anecdote between them? Why are they obsessed with tawses, particularly the very seldom seen McRostie tawse? Is there something nasty behind their interest in tiger cubs? I think we should be told! happy.gif

Steve M

June 6 2009, 11:22 PM 

A_L

I believe there is a Germanic origin to them?

In which case, the lyrics of this prime slice of HM from 1980 courtesy of Messrs Rudolf Schenker, Herman Rarebel,Dieter Dierks and Klause Meine, might just make your point:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8fzWEbpmw

Yes, Make It Real, NOT FANTASY!!)happy.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif)happy.gif;

Steve M

ISOTOPE FEENY

Caning at home

June 7 2009, 1:18 AM 

Hello HRH

Thank you for your interest in the pricing of tawsing stools sold at my aunt's emporium. These prices would be in pounds sterling circa 1979.

The basic tawsing stool at around that time would have sold for around 200 pounds. The top of the range model with all the "bells and whistles" so to speak could cost up to 12000 pounds but most of these would have been purchased by the governess of very large estates where money was no object. I hope this information is helpful.

HRH

Caning at home

June 7 2009, 6:19 AM 

I must say 12000 pounds sterling sounds a tad expensive for a tawsing stool. Why so much?

ISOTOPE FEENY

Caning at home

June 7 2009, 6:43 AM 

Yes I agree that 12000 pounds sterling was a lot of money back in the late 1970s but you must keep in mind that we are talking about the top of the range in tawsing stools. These models were actually imported from Sweden and were made to order.

Obviously for that price you would expect the unit to be self propelled and indeed they were. Each stool had its own very powerful electric motor with long life lithium batteries and could reach a top speed of 70 km/hr on the open highway.

However if anybody intended taking it out on the open highway they needed a special permit. In most cases it was used for domestic type discipline on very large estates where it enabled the governess to travel very quickly between trouble spots to sort matters out. Naturally the safety helmet was included in the price. thank you for your interest

ISOTOPE FEENY

Pedant

Research not quite up to standard

June 7 2009, 11:23 AM 

"The energy density of lithium-ion batteries has more than doubled since they were introduced in 1991." (Wikipedia) So they weren't around in the 1970s.

Nosmo King

Caning at home

June 7 2009, 11:27 AM 

There is no way a taswing stool powered by any type of electric motor could possibly reach a speed of 70 km/hr. I am interested to know how ISOTOPE FEENY came up with that number. I suspect she just made it up or took it from the catalog that her aunt used for the emporium.

Also nobody in their right mind is going to pay 12000 pounds sterling for a tawsing stool regardless of the number of "bells and whistles" it is alleged to have. I would say a fair price would be around 6000 pounds tops. And that is assuming it could reach a maximum speed of around 50 km/hr.

Ex-Ghillie

Re: Tawsing Stools

June 8 2009, 12:04 AM 

I remember those motorised tawsing stools well. I worked on one of the largest estates in Scotland and the governess who looked after the Laird's children had one. But I'm afraid you are wrong about the motive power. They had a large Perkins industrial diesel engine. The reason a special license was required on public roads was that they had tank type tracks, so a class H license was necessary.

We used to borrow it during the stag hunting season as the estate didn't have any Argo Cats at that time and the tawsing stool could easily bring six beast and 3 men down off the hill, whereas the garrons could only manage one beast each and we had to walk. The straps on the tawsing stool used to hold down the youngster being tawsed were ideal for holding the gralloched beasts in position, and the governess didn't mind the blood stains, she felt they gave the device a sinister air useful for overawing even the most recalcitrant youngsters.

Unfortunately we couldn't always get it for the hind culling, but sometimes if the children were behaving well she'd let us have it for the odd day if we expected a bigger than average kill. I can't recall the exact top speed, but it was nothing like 70 kph. More like 30-35 kph I'd say, but of course it could actually go faster cross-country than on the road, because too fast on tarmac and you'd damage the tracks. A superb bit of kit though, and well worth the £12000 - but not if you were a naughty bairn!

ISOTOPE FEENY

Caning at home

June 8 2009, 1:07 AM 

To Pedant:

While it is quite true that the lithium ion batteries were not commercially available in large numbers until around 1990,it is equally true that there were many working prototypes available even in the early 1970s.

Quite a lot of the pioneering research associated with this type of battery was carried out in Sweden, and consequently there were a lot of relatively cheap prototypes available which proved an ideal power source for the powerful but compact electric motors which were used on the early model "tawse-mobiles". However you are quite right in pointing out that the capacity of the lithium ion batteries has increased dramatically since the early 1970s.

To Ex-Ghillies:

Firstly you are posting on the wrong forum. Try www.porkpies.org. Secondly there were no diesel powered tawse-mobiles ever sold or to my knowledge produced in Scotland, at least not in the 1970s or 1980s.

The vehicle you described was not a self- propelled tawsing stool but simply some concoction of your childish imagination. As for some other parts of your message I simply do not know what you are talking about. Please do a little more research before posting on this forum.

ISOTOPE FEENY

Another_Lurker

June 8 2009, 1:11 AM 

Hi Steve. Sadly I can never pick out lyrics, except occasionally with very slow hymns. However, the appearance of the musicians was most impressive. Enough to frighten the fun posters I'd say! I'm in full agreement with you when you say:

Make It Real, NOT FANTASY!!

This thread is becoming an absolute disgrace to this estimable Forum. As if a pretend member of the Royal Family and a character from the Captain Kangaroo show weren't enough we've now got a music hall character from way back when I was a lad and one of those Scottish gentlemen with ear warming hats who shout the unintelligible highland equivalent of 'Get orf moi land' at you when you're trying to do a bit of honest Munro bagging. Where will it all end? I only ask 'cos I'd really like to know!

Miss UK 1979

Caning at home

June 8 2009, 1:24 AM 

Is there any chance that some of the messages could be translated into English?

Nosmo King

June 8 2009, 2:03 AM 

I might have to agree with A/L to some extent:

What has golden biscuits, golden rivets and jocari bats have to do with this forum? It seems everybody except my good self and some of the more erudite members of this forum are posting some very unlikely messages. For example that posting concerning mixed p.e. classes. Do people think anybody is going to believe that? Please forum members I implore you to keep it real.

Pedant

June 8 2009, 7:30 AM 

Quite right.

But maybe the people doing all this are foreigners? After all, in the 1970s we had nothing in the UK moving at 70 km/hr, or indeed at any number of km/hr. Everything moved at the appropriate number of mph.

Declan

June 8 2009, 8:02 AM 

I am coming to agree more with A_L about some of the rubbish on this and other threads. The stuff about mobile tawsing stools doesn't even have the merit of being amusing.Just one fact, as far as I know the tawse was ALWAYS used on the hand and not on the bottom or back of thighs.

One anecdote that is more to the point:I look at another ( normal) forum which any subject under the sun is discussed. There is a thread at the moment about whether you were punished unfairly at school. Someone has asked whether any of the younger generation would have preferred to have had the sliiper or the cane instead of a detention.

A 16 year old boy said he thought getting the slipper would be very embarrassing, and would therefore prefer a detention. He has clearly never been slippered, as it's the pain that is the problem!

Of more interest, a 30 year old lady, an IT technician, said she was always getting detentions at school and also got into trouble at home because of this. However, she too said she would not like to have had the cane, adding that she has seen the weals that the cane causes. Sadly she does not explain where she has seen the damaging effects of a caning. I will look out for any other contributions.

HRH

Caning at home

June 8 2009, 8:11 AM 

I tend to agree with Declan and Nosmo. How can somebody seriously ask any intelligent person to believe that schools would run mixed p.e. classes. This is absurdity taken to unprecedented levels. Also 'decari bats" never heard of them.

Miss UK 1979

Caning at home

June 8 2009, 8:54 AM 

I would just like to clarify something with Declan. Is that 30 year old IT woman somebody you know personally or just somebody you read about on a forum?

Declan

June 8 2009, 9:42 AM 

Miss UK

The 30 year old lady is someone from a forum, and I do not know her. Many people from that forum give a personal profile, and it is possible to send them personal messages. Although I am intrigued about how she knows about the effects of a caning I am not going to contact her.

HRH

Caning at home

June 8 2009, 10:18 AM 

She would be too young to have experienced any corporal punishment herself. She might just be recalling something she saw on television or in the movies.

Ex-Ghillie

June 8 2009, 9:03 PM 

Who are you calling childish ISOTOPE FEENY? As far as I can see you're named after a child's cartoon strip character! You go on about your Scottish roots and your Aunt having a shop in Aberdeen and selling to big estates and you know absolutely nothing about real Scots, especially Highland Scots and how they earn their living.

You've probably never done a proper days work in your life and you certainly haven't ever been within a 1000 miles (that's about 1600 km in case you're too young to know what a mile is) of a Scottish estate, big or little where some real life goes on and people earn their bread from the sweat of their brow and their skill with the stalking.

You've never stalked a royal over 5 miles crawling on your belly through the peat with the hailstones beating in your face. You've not had to commit to a head-on shot at 200 yards with only one chance! And you haven't had to get the beast and yoursel back down 3000 feet and eight miles to the lodge. If you had you'd know just how grateful you'd be to see that the pony man had managed to borrow the tawsing stool and bring it up the hill to get you and the beast down instead of those garrons constantly manuring the path and your boots and nipping your shoulder with their foul teeth if you were in front of them.

If you'd ever been anywhere near any real Scottish life you'd know just what a benefit those tracked diesel tawsing stools were on Scottish estates in the late 70s and early 80s before cheaper and more versatile vehicles were available. And as for battery powered wheeled tawsing stools, never was any such thing. How on earth do you think a governess would have got up to the summer sheilings to deal with the bairns up there for the peat cutting on a wheeled battery powered tawsing stool? She'd have been bogged down the moment she left the drive up to the lodge I can tell you! Before you tell other people to 'Please do a little more research before posting on this forum' you should try doing some yoursel instead of spouting on about things you know absolutely nothing about!

Current Topic - Caning at home  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement