<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

School Strap

December 19 2006 at 2:23 AM

People who have been on this forum a while may recall that I once posted a series of images of a school strap that I 'souveniered' on my last day at the school. I've now got a somewhat better digital camera and so I have taken somewhat clearer images of the strap in question - though as my skills in photography haven't dramatically improved, I still won't claim they are brilliant pictures.

Nonetheless, here they are for those who would like to see them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gas Mask Wearer

Re: School Strap

December 19 2006, 7:55 AM 

Thanks Dean, they’re great. I love looking at pictures of straps, tawses, slippers, canes, floggers, whippers, martinets and gas masks.

Keep sending them in or the world will know about that post of January 2003.

Bob T

December 19 2006, 12:07 PM 

Dean; Was that strap made specifically for CP? Because it looks like a Razor Strop.

December 19 2006, 12:26 PM 

I believe they were made specifically for corporal punishment, yes, though they may have been modelled off a razor strap. Given the period that they were in use and the legal climate of the time, I can't believe the school would have been using an improvised implement - corporal punishment was (and is) only legal in Victorian schools if administered with a 'proper instrument' and while that rule was not always followed, these were the official implements at my school.

Bob T

December 19 2006, 4:28 PM 

Upon closer inspection it looks like the underside is just rough leather. I thought it was canvas before. It does resemble a strop though.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Leather_Razor_Strops.html

More about strops

http://www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/abrasion3.html

December 19 2006, 5:56 PM 

DEAN

This looks very heavily based on a barber's shop razor strop(there's poetry!).

Not surprising, as you are Australian. I suspect, if you'd been born a Kiwi, their very strong Scottish influence might have brought you into contact with the Lochgelly or other Scots-modelled straps.

There's an interesting bit of research-for the New Year;don't spoil your baby's first Christmas by being on the microfeish!

Steve M

KK

Too long?

December 19 2006, 6:34 PM 

An on topic post! But we have come to expect this from Dean who consistently posts interesting stuff with scant mention of knickers green or otherwise.

Is this strap for hands or buttocks? It looks too long and insufficiently stiff for convenient or accurate application to the palms of the hands unless it was used doubled. Dean, have you tried it on a willing volunteer?

What is your personal recollections of this particular strap? Were you punished with it at school?

What would have happened if you had been caught "souveniring" it?

Why the crumpled appearance? Dean, please find a better place to store it.

December 19 2006, 10:12 PM 

Yes, the underside is just rough leather.

Re: Too long?

December 19 2006, 10:29 PM 

Is this strap for hands or buttocks? It looks too long and insufficiently stiff for convenient or accurate application to the palms of the hands unless it was used doubled. Dean, have you tried it on a willing volunteer?

This was the 'standard model' of strap used at my school (one teacher had a somewhat different strap of his own, which I believe was of a type that had been used earlier at the school, and he continued to use) and they were used both on the hands and the buttocks - mostly on the hands. It was always used doubled in my experience.

And, no, I haven't used it on anyone.

What is your personal recollections of this particular strap? Were you punished with it at school?

Probably. I certainly experienced straps of this type, but they all looked pretty much the same so I can't be absolutely certain if this one was used on me - though it is likely, given where I found it.

My worst strapping at school (six of the best on my backside) was for deliberately skipping penals - what we called detentions - and I suspect that this was the strap used on that occasion. I was strapped in the penals room, and that's where I later souveneired this strap from. But I took the strap a little over a year after that had happened, so I certainly can't know it was the same strap.

What would have happened if you had been caught "souveniring" it?

That would have depended on who had caught me. Taking souveniers was a pretty accepted tradition, so a lot of the staff probably would have just made me put it back. A couple might have even let me keep it. But technically it was stealing and if they'd decided to treat it like that, I suspect I'd have got a pretty severe strapping.

Why the crumpled appearance? Dean, please find a better place to store it.

I actually do store it properly - but when I took those photos I was trying to make it look the way it actually looked. Most of them were stuffed in drawers at school, and pulled out when needed.

Re: Too long?

December 28 2006, 9:15 PM 

Thanks for the pics...From experience I can tell you the Canadian school strap with its canvas over rubberized material was much more fearsome.Would barely sag when held out straight and 6 on each hand would have even the toughest bully balling and sobbing openly.It was very much a conveyor belting material like in shopping supermarkets....

Strap-Research

Trying to find Kostkalad

February 3 2008, 2:17 AM 

Hi Kostkalad

It looks like the email address provided doesn't work, same as with corpun. I am doing some research on the "school Strap" and it's been suggested to me that you might be a good "go-to" guy for Australia-related info.

Thought this might be a good way to find you - If you happen to see this thread, would you mind emailing me at "erosisreal(at)hotmail.com"? I'll give you a proper contact em from there and hope you might be able to help out.

Cheers

david

school strap

September 6 2009, 3:03 PM 

we would have laughed at straps like these. The minimum we had was slightly thicker/wider and longer which we described as "tickly". The normal strap was 3/8th inch thick, 1 1/2 inches wide and about 23 inches long and split into two or three strips at the business end. It was also finished and made shiny on one side for extra sting. Even one stroke would sting for several hours and leave marks for a week to ten days. This would be given for lateness/forgetten homework/ not having a pencil etc. More serious offences would result in up to six strokes.

Another_Lurker

September 7 2009, 2:45 AM 

Hi David. That sounds very like a tawse to me, rather than a straight punishment strap which is what Dean Clarke illustrates and describes.

Assuming your experience of said implement was at school in the UK I presume it wasn't in Scotland or you'd probably have called it the belt or the tag or even the tawse rather than the strap.

Were you perchance educated in the West Midlands or the North East of England? Are you prepared to say if it was administered to your hands or your bottom? Some of the English LEAs that did specify the tawse seem to have had different rules for boys and girls.

I assume you're not the same David who posted this description of being punished with the sort of implement you're describing back in the early days of this estimable Forum? It sounds as if he most certainly was in Scotland!

Dean Clarke

September 7 2009, 6:24 AM 

we would have laughed at straps like these. The minimum we had was slightly thicker/wider and longer which we described as "tickly". The normal strap was 3/8th inch thick, 1 1/2 inches wide and about 23 inches long and split into two or three strips at the business end. It was also finished and made shiny on one side for extra sting. Even one stroke would sting for several hours and leave marks for a week to ten days. This would be given for lateness/forgetten homework/ not having a pencil etc. More serious offences would result in up to six strokes.

A few people have said that the strap from my old school looks fairly innocuous to them. I can assure you that those of us on the receiving end didn't think so. Being strapped was an extremely unpleasant experience. But it certainly isn't as vicious as some I've seen or heard of, I agree. That may have been because it was a strap that was intended to only be used on prep schools boys (no older than 13 at most) and also because it was one that was being used in the late 1980s when abolition was the order of the day in most places, and less severe forms of punishment were often favoured even when abolition hadn't occurred.

Since I first posted in this thread, I've become more heavily engaged than ever before in researching and writing a history of corporal punishment and as part of this process, I've had access to a fair number of other Australian straps. This one seems to be in about the mid range of such implements in Australian (or at least Victorian schools). Some were much more savage, some especially those intended for use in primary schools (maximum age 11 or so) were much milder. Some were very professionally made, some were imports (including tawses from suppliers in Scotland), many were just ordinary leather belts.

I strongly to recommend to anybody with an interest in this subject, Harold Hoff's recently published Collector's Guide to the School Strap available from amazon.com

It looks to me to have been extremely well researched (I helped with much of the Australian material, but it covers England, Ireland, Canada, the United States, Germany, and, of course, Scotland) and is full of fascinating examples of lengths of leather designed to hurt children as much as even the most discerning person could possibly want.

Personally, the strap I had used on me at school hurt as much as it needed to for me not to want to get it, and I think that was all that was necessary, but some people seem to think that that's not good enough.

KK

The primary school strap

September 7 2009, 7:45 AM 

The Strap was the mainstay of primary school discipline when I was a boy. Almost every teacher had one, usually kept in the unlocked top draw of their desk. I am not sure of the dimensions or thickness but can attest to the fact they were more than adequately painful when applied to the palms of the hands.

Decades later, I meet a real ex-school teacher who still had his strap. He offered me a taste. I took six of his best and thought it a very mild punishment. I presume my adult hands were very much less sensitive than those of a child - or straps had lost a lot of power and weight, possibly both.

Dean, has anyone tried your strap recently?

hcj

September 8 2009, 11:48 PM 

Dean Clarke wrote: Personally, the strap I had used on me at school hurt as much as it needed to for me not to want to get it, and I think that was all that was necessary, but some people seem to think that that's not good enough.

Well said, Dean! I think it is easy to forget we are meant to be discussing school cp here.

KK, There is a great deal of difference between pain that is voluntarily inflicted and that which is unwillingly received.

blah

September 9 2009, 10:00 PM 

Dean,

When doing your research, have you come across any photos of real Australian school canes?

From the 2 books in the photo, did you attend Xavier in the 1980s?

I was at school in the west (around the same period) and the cane was still in use. I remember it was dark brown and the tip was faded (perhaps from its use over the years).

thanks

Dean Clarke

September 10 2009, 8:21 AM 

Dean,

When doing your research, have you come across any photos of real Australian school canes?

Very few. They don't seem to have been photographed very often in the days when corporal punishment was commonplace, and few canes seem to have survived abolition in those environments where abolition has occurred.

One exception.

canedisplay01.jpg

canedisplay02.jpg

I photographed this cane in a display of historical artifacts at a school in 2006. It's provenance is very good, and I consider it to be a genuine artifact.

Straps are much easier to find - partly because I'm in Victoria, partly because they are not as easily destroyed, and partly because they were more likely to be the private property of teachers rather than the property of the school.

From the 2 books in the photo, did you attend Xavier in the 1980s?

I am an Old Xaverian, yes. The books are there to give an historical context for the strap in question. I was a pupil at Kostka Hall, Brighton (one of Xavier's two preparatory schools) from 1985-1988 and attended Xavier College, Kew, from 1989-1992. This strap was one I took as a souvenir on my last day at Kostka Hall.

blah

September 10 2009, 1:26 PM 

Was the strap more common in Victoria?

Which school did your photo of the cane come from?

Dean Clarke

September 14 2009, 1:06 AM 

Was the strap more common in Victoria?

Yes. By Ministerial Regulation, dating from around 1900, the only instrument that was supposed to be used to administer corporal punishment in state schools in Victoria was the strap. That regulation didn't apply to private schools, but the Catholic school system had generally adopted the strap as well by 1920, meaning it was the only official implement in over 90% of Victorian schools. There's plenty of evidence that other implements were used outside of the regulations, but overall they were followed in most cases.

The following are the 1939 regulations. With minor modifications these were the regulations that applied from 1900-1982. They were amended quite heavily in 1982 to allow parents to have their children exempted from corporal punishment, but the amended regulations were only in place just over a year before total abolition in the state system.

Photobucket

This image below shows actual implements I know (or at least am reaonably confident) were used to administer corporal punishment in Victorian schools. My collection, and some items borrowed from other people. As you can see straps predominate.

Photobucket

Which school did your photo of the cane come from?

I'm not prepared to say at this time, because the history behind that particular implement is something I intend to reveal in detail in my book. I will say it is a state primary school in the suburbs of Melbourne, that still exists today but which was founded in the second half of the 19th century. This cane is an example of a instrument that was used outside of the official regulations.

Willy

September 19 2009, 4:57 AM 

By the small size of the paddles and slippers and the very light cane it seems they must have been used on very young children. The leather straps seem more daunting, though small.
From what I read on other forums it seems that the leather strap was also very common in Canadan schools.

Diccky

November 28 2009, 1:09 AM 

I went to school in Canada in the 1960s. The strap was used when I was in school from about age 10 to age 15 or 16. It's use became less common I believe in the 1970s and 1980s, although it was only rendered illegal by the courts in the last few years. The first time I got it was in 5th grade. The strap that was used was relatively short, about 15 inches, and probably less that 2 inches across. It was made of rubber instead of leather, although we called it the leather strap. I found a picture of it on the Corpun site and it is identical to the type I was punished with in school. The process for strapping became more formal as the years went on. The first time I got the strap was in the hallway outside of class, but later it was always used in the principal's office with the permission of a parent, and there was paperwork that had to be done too.

School Strap

March 18 2010, 12:13 AM 

This is a pretty tame strap. I grew up getting "the strap" from my dad and he had one make that was 30" long and 2 1/2" wide--the stap used at school sure didn't leave the welts my dad's did. If I got strapped at school, then the strapping I got at home made the school one seem to not even be a strapping.

Willy

Hands Only?

March 18 2010, 11:13 AM 

I think straps were mostly or exclusively used on the hands, both in Scotland and Canada and other places where it was commonly used.
Are there accounts of the strap being used on the buttocks, clothed or unclothed?

Dean Clarke

March 18 2010, 12:06 PM 

Well, I was strapped on the bottom at school - probably with the strap pictured at the top of this page, certainly with one very, very much like it. Six of the best on the bottom that time. My school used the strap on the hands, more often, but for serious misbehaviour it could be applied to the bottom.

In terms of my own Australian research, I have very reliable information that the strap on the bare bottom was a punishment at Wesley College, Melbourne, during the First World War. Plenty of other stories, but that one is known to be reliable.

c. farrell

strap on buttocks

March 22 2010, 11:57 PM 

Willy writes: "Are there accounts of the strap being used on the buttocks, clothed or unclothed?"

From
http://www.corpun.com/webschuk.htm :

Stripes in Magenta, issue 7
Initiation Ceremonies!
Tales from Assembly
Rose Tinted Glasses
Strap Meister
Re: Strap Meister
Re "Spike"
Re: Re "Spike"
Register of discipline administered at St Augustine's Grammar School
Former students of a Roman Catholic boys' school in Manchester write in to describe their strappings in the 1960s and 1970s. Part of a (mostly) touchingly affectionate website devoted entirely to this school which no longer exists, having been absorbed into a different one in 1977, but which clearly made a great impression, in more ways than one. "Stripes in Magenta" is the ex-school's electronic newsletter, with yet more anecdotes. Each one contains a cod "letter from the headmaster" (actually he is long dead) and the one in issue 7 is a witty fantasy about proposed European harmonisation of the size of his strap. The website's Visitors Book repays careful study, too, both the current one and earlier years linked therefrom. Read also such fascinating documents as school policy, Duties of masters and mistresses on duty, and The Green Room, a place where the duty master administered the strap twice daily, with the miscreants lining up to bend over a chair. "Do you remember how you had to tuck your elbows into the chair so your posterior was presented properly?" Truly remarkable.

I have heard that some other Roman Catholic boys' schools (though by no means all) used the same method.

The tawse (strap) was also used in Walsall schools, usually on the bottom for boys and on the hands for girls. I can find a reference for that if anyone doubts. However, in most other places in England where the strap was used, such as Tyneside, it was given on the hands, as in Scotland.

So, as ever, one must guard against over-generalising.

prof.n

strap

March 23 2010, 10:32 AM 

Hi Colin,

The strap was also allowed to be given hands or bottom for boys ; hands for girls in the Halifax education authority. I can personally vouch for this! They allowed schools a choice , certainly at primary level of strap or cane. Both were regularly used in the authority controlled schools.

Willy

Strap in Catholic Schools

March 23 2010, 1:14 PM 

Hi C,Farrell, I think you are right about the strap in Catholic schools. I have friends who went to a Catholic boarding school in the 70's who were strapped on the bare buttocks by the headmaster, a Catholic Brother, in his office for misbehaviour in school.
I think also in Ireland, where most schools were Catholic, the strap was the most widely used form of punishment even in class by teachers, though mostly on the hands in class. I don't know if you can verify this.
So it seems that caning is a British Protestant tradition while the strap was favoured by Catholic schools.
I would even dare to go as far as to say that the cane was almost exclusively only used in British protestant schools, including state schools, and wherever they had an influence in the countries they inhabited or ruled during the Empire.
I don't know of any other country which used the cane, whether in schools or judicial punishment, before being introduced by the British. No wonder the French call it "the British vice". Or is it "the English vice"?

Another_Lurker

March 23 2010, 9:45 PM 

Hi Willy. You said:

No wonder the French call it "the British vice". Or is it "the English vice"?

Well actually, given that they're French, I think you'll find it's 'le vice anglais'. And have a care, because it has more than one meaning.

Tell me, why did you say:

I think straps were mostly or exclusively used on the hands, both in Scotland and Canada and other places where it was commonly used.

And ask:

Are there accounts of the strap being used on the buttocks, clothed or unclothed?

Then, as soon as someone corrects you, say:

I have friends who went to a Catholic boarding school in the 70's who were strapped on the bare buttocks by the headmaster, a Catholic Brother, in his office for misbehaviour in school.

The latter statement would appear to make the previous two unnecessary and at best misleading!

I recall someone else who specialised in that sort of thing. I've asked you before, but just to check again, are you absolutely sure you're not Eric? happy.gif

c. farrell

cane not only British

March 25 2010, 10:12 PM 

Willy writes:
"I would even dare to go as far as to say that the cane was almost exclusively only used in British protestant schools, including state schools, and wherever they had an influence in the countries they inhabited or ruled during the Empire.
I don't know of any other country which used the cane, whether in schools or judicial punishment, "

This is a popular myth.

(a) Many Catholic schools in England did use the cane. One I can vouch for was Cardinal Vaughan in west London. I said further up this page "some Catholic schools but by no means all" used the strap.

(b) The cane was used in schools in Germany and Denmark and other European countries with no historical British influence.

http://www.corpun.com/coundks.htm (video shows cane in Danish school museum)

http://www.corpun.com/desc7007.htm (picture of school cane in German museum)

(c) Schools in Thailand, which was never colonised by anybody, used the cane until its recent abolition (in practice, one hears that it is still being used, illegally).

http://www.corpun.com/vidsc18.htm (video shows schoolboys being caned in Tahiland)

Declan

March 26 2010, 7:54 AM 

Mr Farrell

It is interesting that you mention Cardinal Vaughan school in West London.

In the 1980s I was in the same cricket club as quite a few boys from that school. They most certainly did get caned , both on the hand and on the bottom , depending who the teacher was. One boy was playing in an afternoon match for us ( I assume he had permission) and had only just been caned that day. He said the teacher ( probably the head) took a run and he got four strokes on the bottom. He added that it really hurt.

Other boys confirmed that there were regular canings at that school.

American Way

Regulation strap weight-striking test

June 16 2011, 2:51 PM 

I would suggest that the Board summon all teachers authorized to use regulation straps, to be and appear before them on a certain date for the purpose of weight-striking test, and all those who can strike more than one pound with the regulation strap to have theirs tapered.

It's only speculation but there was always an aversion to corporal punishment for girls attested to from newspaper archives but given the volume of references and the encoding in laws would it be more so in Australia and New Zealand.

CLICK

KK

Too kind to women?

June 16 2011, 8:39 PM 

The hyperlinked article (Ashburton Guardian, 2 February 1894) concerning the strapping of girls appeared just two months after women were given the vote in NZ.

Wikipedia: The Electoral Bill granting women the franchise was given Royal Assent by Governor Lord Glasgow on 19 September 1893, and women voted for the first time in the election held on 28 November 1893.

Another_Lurker

Too kind to women? And way ahead of the field in Social Networking Technology!

June 16 2011, 9:41 PM 

Hi KK. You said above:

The hyperlinked article (Ashburton Guardian, 2 February 1894) [American Way, June 16 2011, 2:51 PM above, on objections to the practices in some schools] concerning the strapping of girls appeared just two months after women were given the vote in NZ.

A very pertinent observation, but surely you can't possibly be suggesting that there might be a link between the two things! happy.gifwink.gifhappy.gif

I am interested to note that New Zealand had Twitter long before the Internet, or indeed personal computers, had been invented. To quote the Asburton Guardian article from 1894:

...... "A butcher who has old traces for sale" thus twits the Education Board on the tawse question .......

KK

Educating Jenny

June 20 2011, 11:50 PM 

Another_Lurker wrote in part:

A very pertinent observation, but surely you can't possibly be suggesting that there
      might be a link between the two things!

I am interested to note that New Zealand had Twitter long before the Internet, or indeed
      personal computers, had been invented. To quote the Asburton Guardian article from 1894:

...... "A butcher who has old traces for sale" thus twits the Education Board on the tawse question .......

I have been endeavouring to explain to Jenny how things were here in earlier times and how it came about that boys were strapped and caned and girls were not. Of course, things have changed greatly since. It is quite clear some modern girls can be VERY naughty.

Yes, there were (and are) a lot of twits (and wits) here in earlier times, (assuming two half wits make one wit).

Jenny

Re: Educating Jenny

June 21 2011, 12:52 AM 

Hi KK

I have been endeavouring to explain to Jenny how things were here in earlier times and how it came about that boys were strapped and caned and girls were not.

I know you were explaining how thing were. Where we seemed to disagree was on whether treating people more or less favourably, solely because of their sex, was right or fair. The same applies to racism. It's a demonstrable fact that, at various times in history, people have been treated more or less favourably simply because of their race. I would argue that wasn't right or fair either.

Of course, things have changed greatly since. It is quite clear some modern girls can be VERY naughty.

I'm not so sure things have changed all that much. Modern girls are a little worse than when I was a teenager but the biggest difference is that society is no longer as tolerant of girls doing just as they wish. Before, more often than not, a blind eye was turned to girls misbehaviour.

Trilobyte

Strapping in Tasmania--state schools

July 10 2011, 3:25 AM 

Up until the sixties, the cane was the main implement of chastisement in the Australian state of Tasmania. The cane often as not was not bamboo or rattan, but a cane which grows wild in Queensland, and is said to be slightly denser than rattan. There were three sizes, one for primary, one for secondary, and one fifth and sixth form secondary students. It had tapes with different colours at each end: blue, red and black

From about 1966, when decimal currency came into use, the use of the strap was imported into Tasmania by headmasters and deputy headmasters by the Tasmanian education department. They brought with them their instruments as well. I can remember echo of the strap reverberating throughout the campus of the high school I attended at the end of the day.

The Catholic schools in Tasmania used the irish strap, with a weight at the end of the secondary school version. All of my Catholic friends describe the same kind of instrument, so it would seem that this was a major diference between Tasmania and Victoria.

where do i find the strap below

October 9 2011, 4:15 PM 

Where can i find a strap called "THE PUNISHMENT STRAP"?

American Way

February 11 2012, 5:18 AM 

Winnipeg 1958:

Winnipeg distributed 1,557 straps one for each teacher. School teachers hero have been given authority to give on-the-spot strappings to unruly students.

CLICK

Matt

April 9 2012, 7:10 AM 

I received 202 strokes of the strap between 1962 and 1966, I counted every one. It was a catholic school in the north of England, run by priests although most of the teachers were not of the clergy. The strap was approximately 13 inches in length, probably 1 3/4 inches wide and the best part of half an inch thick. it was made up of three layers of leather stitched together.
There wasn't just one strap, some teachers or classrooms had their own, if not it was a question of going down the front office and borrowing one. I was strapped mostly on the hand on one occassion I was given eight strokes on my left hand but mostly around three on each hand. Occasionaly I was strapped over trousers, undoubtably the most painful was on the hand. It was common enough for a particular priest to creep into the gym changing room showers, the high spirited and noisy kids would therefore provide an excuse for him to lash out on a bare arse. Looking back I have no doubt he was getting off on it, at the time you didn't think of it, it was just normal.

April 9 2012, 8:03 PM 

That is an accurate discription, Matt, of the strap that we were subjected to. I never put a count, or even an estimate on the number of slaps that I recieved in five years of secondary schooling, I reckon the number would be quite awesome. Very rarely did a day pass without getting at least one single slap. Many days I would have got three on each hand and very often too I got the three on each hand twice or more in a single day. So in a short space of time a girl could accumilate quite a generous number of lashes.

Current Topic - School Strap  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement