<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

School satin PE shorts

March 20 2007 at 6:39 PM
Umbrosilk 

Hi Everyone,

Do any memebers still remeber nylon shorts at school! These were the
very silky, shiny, satin football (Soccer) shorts that were around in
the 70s, 80s and possibly learly 90s. These were genrally a lot
shorter then they are now and made the the liked of Umbro and Adidas.
Love to hear any comments about what you throught of these shorts
like did you like wearing them or were you ever punished while in
them Also did any girls ever wear them and if so, what was your
throughts of wearing satin shorts.

Also if you like nylon shorts, please check out my club:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomenInUmbroNylonshorts/

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sill Lee Asso

Re: School satin PE shorts

March 20 2007, 6:51 PM 

Yes please. Is these short like cycle short? Cycle short is good for getting caning in and is worn under tunic which is lifted by headmistress after bending over.

Bozo

Shorts

March 20 2007, 7:52 PM 

Cant say that SATIN shorts are familiar.In the 1960s and 1970s Satin
was a taboo fabric associated with sensuality and under the counter
effiminatism and poofery.
Satin would be worn by The Glitter Groups and Glam Glitter groups and groupies and a few
fashion freaks but not by the man in the street as sports wear.
Rough navy blue cotton or white cotton was more likley.
Talking of shorts I am reminded of a certain teech at our school
who used to take P.E.Classes.He used to stick his hand down entire
lines of classes shorts to "check they werent wearing any underwear"
as this was prohibited for "hygene"reasons(?).
Eventually he over stepped the mark and was subsequently sacked
by The Headmaster for minor offences unknown to this day.
His name was Derek The Mo as the school called him.

steelman99

Shorts

March 24 2007, 2:09 PM 

Not wearing pants under your shorts was the norm in a lot of schools back in the 70'sand 80's and most PE Teachers had their ways of checking if you had any pants on under your shorts. Ours used to lift the leg of your shorts to check If you got caught , yo were usually sent to the changing room to remove your pants , then on returning to the gym , you were invited the front of the class to "meet mr slippy" and get the usual three on the arse from the so named plimsoll.

james

Shiny Satin Shorts

July 9 2010, 4:08 PM 

You would have loved our School.When playing 5 a side football the game was always set up as Skins (No Tops)V Kits.Full Football kit.The slimmer Lads always wore gleaming black Satin shorts made by Le Coq Sportif a French maker i think.The mix was of black satin and black cotton shorts.Cotton always reseved for the bulkier Lads.I was never sure why this was so, but i assumed at the time that Satin shorts were only made up to a certain waist size!

No underwear was strictly enforced by CP.Another mystery of the time!

You were made to bend slightly forward to so if there was any evidence of underwear pressing in to the shiny satin material.Some Lads were so thin the satin rode up their buttocks and the next Lad was then inspected.If the tell tail sign was there it was a visit to the Masters office and 2 stinging cuts of his swishy cane.Most lads got the message quickly but why did some never catch on?

I still have some versions of those short/short wet look satin numbers in 28" waist.

I doubt modern Lads would ever wear such revealing shorts or beleive just how OTT shiny they were.

simon

satin shorts

July 15 2010, 7:10 PM 

yes,I certainly remember wearing satin shorts at school.

simon

satin shorts

July 16 2010, 11:26 AM 

We wore satin PE shorts at school and they were compulsory.The first time we wore them some of my contempories were very apprehensive about wearing shorts that were made of such a silky,shiny material.When wearing them as the material was thin they were not particularly warm and offered very litle protection from the cane or slipper.What I found most alluring was as we moved about our shorts had the a shimmering affect,which I found most exciting,but this did not appeal to all my contepories as they were embarrasssed to be seen wearing such flimsy items of clothing.

Simon

satin shorts

July 17 2010, 1:48 PM 

Further to my previous letter,we bacame accustomed to wearing our satin shorts and to see 36 boys clad in this fashion was quite a spectacle.Shorts in the seventies were cut much shorter and ours were typical of this style.They had a V cut in the sides which made us even more aware of the fact we were not allowed to wear underwear.We now wore these brief,silky,shiny shorts for gymnastics and games,but our teacher decided we our new shorts were be quite suitable for lengthy cross country runs.As these runs consisted of about five miles and passed through two villages we realised we would now be seen in public wearing our shorts.As we ran down the pavements we had a lot of second takes from people who were quite astonished to see so many boys identically attired in such flimsy shorts.We arrived back at school only to pleased to change into our grey short trousers after suffering the humiliation of being paraded in satin shorts.

Nick

July 17 2010, 6:33 PM 

Simon. What year was this? And at what sort of school (all boys, prep, grammar, etc.)?

Simon

Satin shorts

July 17 2010, 6:52 PM 

Hi Nick!It was 1979 and it was an independant day and boarding school.

Nick

July 17 2010, 8:43 PM 

Simon. Thanks for the answer.

We had a not dissimilar experience at my all boys grammar in the 70s when a new headmaster decided that white PE t-shirts would be replaced with proper vests with the school colours in hoops round the middle. We had to go on runs mostly through the fields but also in front of the local comprehensive school and estate where we often attracted the unwonted attentions of the local oiks! Wearing both skimpy PE shorts (as they were very short in the 70s) and vests made us feel very vulnerable!

Simon

Satin shorts

July 17 2010, 9:58 PM 

Thanks for your reply Nick. I appreciate that the kind of kit which we were required to wear was embarressing,but although we may not have appreciated being kitted out in this particular fashion,I am sure wearing our shorts and tops in shimmering satin could only have been appreciated not only by our teachers who considered it most suitable to attire us in this fashion but also the onlookers.We had no choice but to wear what we were subjected to and had to accept wearing our satin shorts and vests inspite of our own preferences.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 7:37 AM 

Nick,How far did you have to run on your cross country runs?As our runs were always timed our teacher noticed that our times had much improved since we started wearing our new kit.This was mainly due to the fact that most us prefered our old cotton shorts rather than these new flimsy,silky shorts and wanted to get changed as quickly as possible.This of course stopped any loiters,but any serious delay by any of the runners meant a severe caning would be nacessary.To meet the allotted time we ran had to run as quickly as we could and our silky,flimsy,little shorts did nothing but aid our efforts.I certainly felt vunerable in my shorts especially as we had to run seven miles and was the object of many derisory comments on the way.Being made to wear satin shorts drew many comments from onlookers and I never ceased to be embarrased in my shiny vest and and brief satin shorts which we were enforced to wear.

Nick

July 18 2010, 1:33 PM 

Funny you should ask that. A few years ago I tried to retrace the route of our cross country runs (in a car!) and to measure the mileage. We had three courses: (a) was just twice around the (fairly extensive) school grounds. Prefects were often posted at strategic points to ensure no short-cuts were taken. We used this course almost exclusively in First Form. (b) involved going down farm tracks, across fields, across a main railway line (there was a footbridge we were meant to use but most lads just ran across the lines - amazing when you think about it now - it was a major inter-city line and still is), alongside a serious river and then back up a main road. It was on the main road that you got stares and the odd honk from drivers. (c) went past the local comprehensive (or maybe sec modern then), up a very steep hill and then along a road on a ridge which was like Siberia in winter. I reckoned that runs (b) and (c) were probably about 5 miles. They took us about an hour - but if you really ran you got back 30m before the bell. I guess the teachers didnt want to hang about and so made sure there was plenty of time for even the slowest boy to get round in time.

Rob94

July 18 2010, 3:55 PM 

Those 70s and 80s "satin" shorts which were made by Adidas etc were in fact made from nylon, also sometimes refered to as polyamide, a material which is not used much for clothing these days. There are some fairly similar shorts made more recently but they are made from polyester which is more crease resistant and easier to wash, but less glossy and soft to the touch than the originals.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 4:04 PM 

Thanks Nick.Was your kit similar to mine and how did you put up with the derogatory comments?I certainly found my shorts gave no protection from the chilly,biting winds you described and the small side slits would allow the breeze to lift the flimsy material adding to my embarrassment.I had to wear this kit till I was sixteen.

Nick

July 18 2010, 4:46 PM 

The kit was no protection from the chill winds! I can remember getting back to the changing rooms with fingers so numb that I couldnt button my school shirt! We also had the no underpants rule (rigorously enforced in First to Third Forms but they then seemed to not bother). So it could be very chilly. Funnily enough we just accepted the cold - but I remember being very angry when we had to run in torrential rain. The shorts and vest just stuck to you leaving nothing to the imagination. We did not have the "satin" material - it was thin cotton. I remember some of the younger lads having the new style shorts. And yes, we too had to wear this throughout the school - including Sixth Form where cross country was still compulsory at age 18. I seem to remember we just stuck two fingers up to motorists who honked us. Bit of a risk really because if we had been reported we would undoubtedly have been strapped. But I suppose no guy who had honked was likely to admit his provocative act!

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 5:44 PM 

We too had to take our crooss country runs in all types of weather and our kit was for all weather.We wore short trousers all the year so we were quite accustomed to the elements.The no underwear policy was also rigoursly enforced and could be punished by use of our teacher's cane on our satin clad bottoms.All school rules were strictly enforced and any boy not wearing his full school uniform or required games kit was severely punished.We had no choice but to wear these short pants and suffer the humiliation and indignation as long as we were required to do so.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 19 2010, 8:10 AM 

Nick,You must Have been a very tolerant person.I don't think I could have worn either my satin shorts or my grey short trousers up to eighteen.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 20 2010, 11:15 AM 

Wearing satin shorts could be very irksome especially on long country runs.The light,filmy material was not suitable for these runs,games and gymnastics as they were clingy,chilly to wear and very sweaty in hot weather.We soon realised our kit had been introduced simply for aesphetics and we were to be"put on show".I was sure the sight of us participating in our strenuous excersises offered a sight most appreciated by spectators.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement