<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

School satin PE shorts

March 20 2007 at 6:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

Do any memebers still remeber nylon shorts at school! These were the
very silky, shiny, satin football (Soccer) shorts that were around in
the 70s, 80s and possibly learly 90s. These were genrally a lot
shorter then they are now and made the the liked of Umbro and Adidas.
Love to hear any comments about what you throught of these shorts
like did you like wearing them or were you ever punished while in
them Also did any girls ever wear them and if so, what was your
throughts of wearing satin shorts.

Also if you like nylon shorts, please check out my club:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomenInUmbroNylonshorts/

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sill Lee Asso

Re: School satin PE shorts

March 20 2007, 6:51 PM 

Yes please. Is these short like cycle short? Cycle short is good for getting caning in and is worn under tunic which is lifted by headmistress after bending over.

Bozo

Shorts

March 20 2007, 7:52 PM 

Cant say that SATIN shorts are familiar.In the 1960s and 1970s Satin
was a taboo fabric associated with sensuality and under the counter
effiminatism and poofery.
Satin would be worn by The Glitter Groups and Glam Glitter groups and groupies and a few
fashion freaks but not by the man in the street as sports wear.
Rough navy blue cotton or white cotton was more likley.
Talking of shorts I am reminded of a certain teech at our school
who used to take P.E.Classes.He used to stick his hand down entire
lines of classes shorts to "check they werent wearing any underwear"
as this was prohibited for "hygene"reasons(?).
Eventually he over stepped the mark and was subsequently sacked
by The Headmaster for minor offences unknown to this day.
His name was Derek The Mo as the school called him.

steelman99

Shorts

March 24 2007, 2:09 PM 

Not wearing pants under your shorts was the norm in a lot of schools back in the 70'sand 80's and most PE Teachers had their ways of checking if you had any pants on under your shorts. Ours used to lift the leg of your shorts to check If you got caught , yo were usually sent to the changing room to remove your pants , then on returning to the gym , you were invited the front of the class to "meet mr slippy" and get the usual three on the arse from the so named plimsoll.

Shiny Satin Shorts

July 9 2010, 4:08 PM 

You would have loved our School.When playing 5 a side football the game was always set up as Skins (No Tops)V Kits.Full Football kit.The slimmer Lads always wore gleaming black Satin shorts made by Le Coq Sportif a French maker i think.The mix was of black satin and black cotton shorts.Cotton always reseved for the bulkier Lads.I was never sure why this was so, but i assumed at the time that Satin shorts were only made up to a certain waist size!

No underwear was strictly enforced by CP.Another mystery of the time!

You were made to bend slightly forward to so if there was any evidence of underwear pressing in to the shiny satin material.Some Lads were so thin the satin rode up their buttocks and the next Lad was then inspected.If the tell tail sign was there it was a visit to the Masters office and 2 stinging cuts of his swishy cane.Most lads got the message quickly but why did some never catch on?

I still have some versions of those short/short wet look satin numbers in 28" waist.

I doubt modern Lads would ever wear such revealing shorts or beleive just how OTT shiny they were.

simon

satin shorts

July 15 2010, 7:10 PM 

yes,I certainly remember wearing satin shorts at school.

simon

satin shorts

July 16 2010, 11:26 AM 

We wore satin PE shorts at school and they were compulsory.The first time we wore them some of my contempories were very apprehensive about wearing shorts that were made of such a silky,shiny material.When wearing them as the material was thin they were not particularly warm and offered very litle protection from the cane or slipper.What I found most alluring was as we moved about our shorts had the a shimmering affect,which I found most exciting,but this did not appeal to all my contepories as they were embarrasssed to be seen wearing such flimsy items of clothing.

Simon

satin shorts

July 17 2010, 1:48 PM 

Further to my previous letter,we bacame accustomed to wearing our satin shorts and to see 36 boys clad in this fashion was quite a spectacle.Shorts in the seventies were cut much shorter and ours were typical of this style.They had a V cut in the sides which made us even more aware of the fact we were not allowed to wear underwear.We now wore these brief,silky,shiny shorts for gymnastics and games,but our teacher decided we our new shorts were be quite suitable for lengthy cross country runs.As these runs consisted of about five miles and passed through two villages we realised we would now be seen in public wearing our shorts.As we ran down the pavements we had a lot of second takes from people who were quite astonished to see so many boys identically attired in such flimsy shorts.We arrived back at school only to pleased to change into our grey short trousers after suffering the humiliation of being paraded in satin shorts.

Nick

July 17 2010, 6:33 PM 

Simon. What year was this? And at what sort of school (all boys, prep, grammar, etc.)?

Simon

Satin shorts

July 17 2010, 6:52 PM 

Hi Nick!It was 1979 and it was an independant day and boarding school.

Nick

July 17 2010, 8:43 PM 

Simon. Thanks for the answer.

We had a not dissimilar experience at my all boys grammar in the 70s when a new headmaster decided that white PE t-shirts would be replaced with proper vests with the school colours in hoops round the middle. We had to go on runs mostly through the fields but also in front of the local comprehensive school and estate where we often attracted the unwonted attentions of the local oiks! Wearing both skimpy PE shorts (as they were very short in the 70s) and vests made us feel very vulnerable!

Simon

Satin shorts

July 17 2010, 9:58 PM 

Thanks for your reply Nick. I appreciate that the kind of kit which we were required to wear was embarressing,but although we may not have appreciated being kitted out in this particular fashion,I am sure wearing our shorts and tops in shimmering satin could only have been appreciated not only by our teachers who considered it most suitable to attire us in this fashion but also the onlookers.We had no choice but to wear what we were subjected to and had to accept wearing our satin shorts and vests inspite of our own preferences.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 7:37 AM 

Nick,How far did you have to run on your cross country runs?As our runs were always timed our teacher noticed that our times had much improved since we started wearing our new kit.This was mainly due to the fact that most us prefered our old cotton shorts rather than these new flimsy,silky shorts and wanted to get changed as quickly as possible.This of course stopped any loiters,but any serious delay by any of the runners meant a severe caning would be nacessary.To meet the allotted time we ran had to run as quickly as we could and our silky,flimsy,little shorts did nothing but aid our efforts.I certainly felt vunerable in my shorts especially as we had to run seven miles and was the object of many derisory comments on the way.Being made to wear satin shorts drew many comments from onlookers and I never ceased to be embarrased in my shiny vest and and brief satin shorts which we were enforced to wear.

Nick

July 18 2010, 1:33 PM 

Funny you should ask that. A few years ago I tried to retrace the route of our cross country runs (in a car!) and to measure the mileage. We had three courses: (a) was just twice around the (fairly extensive) school grounds. Prefects were often posted at strategic points to ensure no short-cuts were taken. We used this course almost exclusively in First Form. (b) involved going down farm tracks, across fields, across a main railway line (there was a footbridge we were meant to use but most lads just ran across the lines - amazing when you think about it now - it was a major inter-city line and still is), alongside a serious river and then back up a main road. It was on the main road that you got stares and the odd honk from drivers. (c) went past the local comprehensive (or maybe sec modern then), up a very steep hill and then along a road on a ridge which was like Siberia in winter. I reckoned that runs (b) and (c) were probably about 5 miles. They took us about an hour - but if you really ran you got back 30m before the bell. I guess the teachers didnt want to hang about and so made sure there was plenty of time for even the slowest boy to get round in time.

Rob94

July 18 2010, 3:55 PM 

Those 70s and 80s "satin" shorts which were made by Adidas etc were in fact made from nylon, also sometimes refered to as polyamide, a material which is not used much for clothing these days. There are some fairly similar shorts made more recently but they are made from polyester which is more crease resistant and easier to wash, but less glossy and soft to the touch than the originals.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 4:04 PM 

Thanks Nick.Was your kit similar to mine and how did you put up with the derogatory comments?I certainly found my shorts gave no protection from the chilly,biting winds you described and the small side slits would allow the breeze to lift the flimsy material adding to my embarrassment.I had to wear this kit till I was sixteen.

Nick

July 18 2010, 4:46 PM 

The kit was no protection from the chill winds! I can remember getting back to the changing rooms with fingers so numb that I couldnt button my school shirt! We also had the no underpants rule (rigorously enforced in First to Third Forms but they then seemed to not bother). So it could be very chilly. Funnily enough we just accepted the cold - but I remember being very angry when we had to run in torrential rain. The shorts and vest just stuck to you leaving nothing to the imagination. We did not have the "satin" material - it was thin cotton. I remember some of the younger lads having the new style shorts. And yes, we too had to wear this throughout the school - including Sixth Form where cross country was still compulsory at age 18. I seem to remember we just stuck two fingers up to motorists who honked us. Bit of a risk really because if we had been reported we would undoubtedly have been strapped. But I suppose no guy who had honked was likely to admit his provocative act!

Simon

Satin shorts

July 18 2010, 5:44 PM 

We too had to take our crooss country runs in all types of weather and our kit was for all weather.We wore short trousers all the year so we were quite accustomed to the elements.The no underwear policy was also rigoursly enforced and could be punished by use of our teacher's cane on our satin clad bottoms.All school rules were strictly enforced and any boy not wearing his full school uniform or required games kit was severely punished.We had no choice but to wear these short pants and suffer the humiliation and indignation as long as we were required to do so.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 19 2010, 8:10 AM 

Nick,You must Have been a very tolerant person.I don't think I could have worn either my satin shorts or my grey short trousers up to eighteen.

Simon

Satin shorts

July 20 2010, 11:15 AM 

Wearing satin shorts could be very irksome especially on long country runs.The light,filmy material was not suitable for these runs,games and gymnastics as they were clingy,chilly to wear and very sweaty in hot weather.We soon realised our kit had been introduced simply for aesphetics and we were to be"put on show".I was sure the sight of us participating in our strenuous excersises offered a sight most appreciated by spectators.

Stephen

School satin PE shorts

July 29 2010, 2:12 PM 

In reply to James' message,we too had to suffer the humiliating and degrading experience of bending forward in our satin shorts to enable our teacher to see if we were wearing underwear.The cane was used as a punishment over our shorts for this misdemeanour and this deterrent proved most effective.

School satin PE shorts

August 1 2010, 3:02 PM 

God, this brings back memories. I can remember having my first pair of these when I started secondary school in 1968. I was used to wearing cotton shorts at primary school, so I viewed these shiny silkies with some trepidation. They must have been among the first of their kind, and as I can recall, were made by "Bukta". I later had a pair by Rucanor.

I can remember the first time I slipped them on, which was for my first gym lesson at secondary school. I vividly recall not only the sight of 25 or so lads in these slippery, shiny shorts, but also the rasping, swishy sound as they were put on. This sound was also evident as we all walked to the gym from the changing rooms.

My first brush with corporal punishment came whilst wearing a pair of these; I and another boy had been caught mucking around during the lesson, and were duly rewarded with four whacks of the slipper each. I was terrified at the time, but was somehow turned on by the sound of the slipper across those shorts. Needless to say, I came back for more during my time at school!

About a year later, I was given the cane across my gym shorts. The school had a procedure where boys were awarded punishment during the week, and were given it at the end of school on a Friday. Those to be punished had to go to the changing room, slip on their gym kit of white vest, shiny shorts and plimsolls, and report to the Head's study. Again, I can remember the swish of those shorts being put on. The effect of the impending punishment was evident at the front of our shorts; even more so after the caning had been given! The Head normally laid on six hard strokes across the seat of the shorts, and the cane made a loud noise like a pistol crack at each stroke.

I still love these shorts, and have a large collection of them, dating back from the late seventies. I curently have 84 pairs of all different makes and styles, together with gym/running vests.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

August 1 2010, 7:08 PM 

Hi Andy! It is a pleasure to hear from someone who wore their shiny silkies as you refer to them.At secondary school in the seventies we too had to wear them and in those days shorts were much briefer.Ours were made by Addidas and came in all colours.Our gym shorts were white and our games shorts were in black satin.You must have been very proud to be wearing those shorts.As you say,there was a swishing noise as we changed into them and could be heard as we moved about.These shorts offered very little protection from a severe caning.What colour were your shorts?

Real Satin Shorts

August 2 2010, 1:57 PM 

The term "Satin Shorts" could not really be claimed until around the late 70`s.At this time Adidas had brought out their "Satin Super A" shorts.

Umbro made the "Umbro Classic" Satin short at the same time.

Spal.Pro Star.Admiral and a few others were in in that to.

Adidas Super A were the shorts to be seen in if you liked your shorts shiny.They were of exceptional quality with the Satin was very close to that of a Brides Dress.Commonly refered to as Acetate Satin.

These were very eye catching indeed, especailly in sunlight.Your bottom gleamed, make no mistake.Much to the delight of the Females looking on.

These in the main were not supplied by Schools but i do remember some visiting Football teams having them.

It was more common for Schools to use cheaper versions of Satin Super A shorts.

Nylon shorts were the swishy ones as mentioned and were very common in the 60`s and 70`s.

Satin shorts in the main were a lot quieter with that nylony swish much less evident.

School satin PE shorts

August 2 2010, 6:33 PM 

Good to hear from you Paul. Our shorts were black, worn with a white athletics vest.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

August 2 2010, 8:29 PM 

Hi Paul!Did you like wearing your shorts or did you find it a bit embarrassing.I found we drew a lot of disparaging comments from people who hadn't seen these silky shinys before.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

August 5 2010, 12:38 PM 

In reply to James's message,of course we had to suffer the indignaty of wearing satin shorts,when cotton shorts would have been more suitable,but as James pointed out we were subjected to this ritual simply for the pleasure and amusement of the onlookers.

hcj

August 5 2010, 8:45 PM 

... we had to suffer the indignaty of wearing satin shorts,when cotton shorts would have been more suitable,but as James pointed out we were subjected to this ritual simply for the pleasure and amusement of the onlookers.

I think you protest too much! I don't remember thinking those shorts were undignified. Indeed by wearing them you were following the fashion of the sportsmen of the time.

Indginity

August 5 2010, 9:19 PM 

I don`t think it was seen as embarassing for most Lads.

Shiny shorts were the fashion item of the times.

Many Lads including myself wore satin shorts and did not see
it as anything unusual.

I was a bit apprehensive about Adidas Super A satin shorts
initialy but soon got over that though.

The gleam from them was miles ahead of other shiny
shorts of the time.Some mistaking thought you were keen on wearing
wet shorts such was the shine.Black was the most striking.

Black or Blue Satin dress shirts with school tie were also worn and again not seen as anything
unusual.

Some Lads would not wear them seeing them as kinda Girly.

Compared to shorts worn now they were very revealing though.

Satin nylon shorts

August 9 2010, 9:27 PM 

God, I really loved those shorts and even after PE, I secretly keep them on and wore them underneath my trousers. I now have over 200 pairs of nylon shorts. Did anyone ever see any girls wear nylon shorts???

Another_Lurker

Now it gets competitive!

August 10 2010, 12:42 AM 

Andy (post above on August 1 2010 @ 3:02 PM) has 84 pairs of School satin PE shorts. Paul (post immediately above this) has over 200 pairs of nylon PE shorts. Do we have anyone who can top this figure? I am sure that we do, and the habitués of this estimable Forum will not rest content until they hear from you!

For those who are familiar with my own predilections, I am ashamed to confess that I possess not even a single solitary pair of ****** ***** *** ********. sad.gif

Jenny

Now it gets competitive!

August 10 2010, 1:02 AM 

Hi Another_Lurker

For those who are familiar with my own predilections, I am ashamed to confess that I possess not even a single solitary pair of ****** ***** *** ********. sad.gif

Well, if you'd like to go along to one of my warehouses.... wink.gif

Another_Lurker

Re: Now it gets competitive!

August 10 2010, 1:45 AM 

Hi Jenny. With regard to my lack of ****** ***** *** ******** and obvious want thereof you said:

Well, if you'd like to go along to one of my warehouses.... wink.gif

Assuming I can get round the question of banker's references, two years audited accounts etc. as generally required for trade membership of such organisations, I would normally ask next about the arrangements for displaying and demonstrating the goods. But I won't, 'cos this is a Family Forum! wink.gifhappy.gifwink.gif

Paul

School satin PE shorts

August 10 2010, 9:40 AM 

I certainly found it embarrassing wearing these silky shinys.The cut of these shorts were scandalously brief with inconvenient slide slits and a no underwear policy,which was strictly enforced left very little to the imagination.The shorts were a slick black acetate satin.Some lads were far from shy while others were mortified.The sunlight catching each lad's bottom was not lost on admirers.

Nick

August 11 2010, 5:13 PM 

Simon. Sorry not to reply sooner. Dont think it was a matter of being tolerant. In those days boys generally did what was expected. The very few who rebelled seemed just to disappear one day and werent mentioned (I am not suggesting anything sinsister! Their parents were advised to look for another school but it was weird how suddenly one day there would be an empty desk and nothing was said).

Our skimpy gym kit (worn for cross country as well as PE) was required right through to upper sixth when we were 18. In theory we could be strapped right up until then also, although there were few instances of CP in sixth form. Fifth form gym strappings were fairly frequent. Slipper was almost exclusively used in First to Fourth forms. We also had one gym master who hand spanked in the first term of First Form.

prof.n

August 12 2010, 1:37 AM 

I can't add anything to this , but must say I am amazed at how many schools ( this and the gym kit thread) kept subduing boys in a rather petty and mechanistic fashion, without any apparent revolt in some cases into the sixth!

I can't add, because in my school the 'A' stream gave up gym after the removes ( 3rd year 13/14), and as for games , we;l unless you liked the idea , you had ways and means of not participating, indeed it became for some of us quite a badge of honour!

Simon

School satin PE shorts

August 12 2010, 7:40 AM 

Nick,Thanks for your reply.It's some comfort to know your experiences were similar to mine.Although promoted to wearing long trousres at sixteen we still had to wear our abhorrent,miniscule,silky shorts.As I mentioned these were not very practical for the wearer and anyone unfortunate enough to receive the cane these tiny shorts did nothing to conceal the weals on the recipient's bottom and thighs.This further humiliation added to the discomfort of the punishment as it was impossible to lower the shorts at the rear without displaying to much at the front.

Jenny

August 12 2010, 2:44 PM 

Hi prof.n

...as for games , well unless you liked the idea , you had ways and means of not participating, indeed it became for some of us quite a badge of honour!

I wish I could have used your methods. They might have saved me a few slipperings and a caning. sad.gif

Declan

August 13 2010, 5:13 AM 

We used to wear these shiny , very short shorts at school C1970. I don't remember being embarrassed about wearing or that they were in any way uncomfortable.

As others have said they offered little protection from the slipper, and I think I must have been wearing these shorts when I was slippered for the first time, and I certainly remember how painful it was, only two whacks but worse than I was expecting.

We also had a student PE teacher, who never slippered anyone , but was a bottom smacker. Just the odd slap now and then , but it made a very crisp noise over the shiny shorts,

Would have been fantastic if the girls had worn these and I'm sure they would have preferred to. I must say I would have loved to have slapped a girl's bottom wearing them.( the girl that is not me!) As it was I had to make do with smacking them in tight mini skirts, well not so bad I suppose.

School knicks

Spanking a knickered bottom.

August 13 2010, 9:29 AM 

You mention giving the young lady a few slaps through her shiny shorts, what about a good hard spanking through the seat of her her knickers? Many was the girl who found herself over her mothers knee, skirt raised, her navy blue school knickers stretched tightly over rotund buttocks, as mother laid into her with some vigerous hand spanking making her buttocks wobble like two jelly's on a plate!

Simon

School satin PE shorts

August 13 2010, 9:37 AM 

Nick.Were you subjected to the stappings or slipperings in your skimpy PE kit?We were caned in our satin shorts,simply as a mater of conveniance and it proved to be a more effecctive punishment.

Nick

August 13 2010, 1:25 PM 

Slipperings mostly happened in the gym or changing room and were on our PE shorts. These started at age 11 and continued until Fourth Form (age 15). Tho we did have one teacher in First Form who put boys over his knee in the first term and hand spanked them. In Fifth FOrm it was generally the strap and could be on hands or on shorts. If you were sent to the Deputy Head you always had to change into PE kit first and he always strapped on shorts or, so rumour had it, occasionally on the bare backside.

Graham

September 8 2010, 11:13 AM 

We wore silky shinys at school in seveties and I remember wearing them for the first time with great trepidation.These shorts were ludicrously short and large side slits made them most revealing as we were not allowed to wear underwear.A slight breeze would raise the light material to reveal even more.These were worn for athletics and running and I certainly did not appreciate paticipating in my sports in shorts that would shine with every movement and were no lager than a loin cloth.

Another_Lurker

Lagers and Loin Cloths

September 8 2010, 10:18 PM 

I am struck by the conjunction of lagers and loin cloths in Graham's post above. Was this perchance in Southern Africa Graham?

Graham

September 8 2010, 10:33 PM 

Sorry for my spelling error,I meant that my shorts were no larger than a loin cloth.It was in the UK and it could be a bit chilly wearing silky shorts in cold weather.

Simon

School satin PE shorts

September 9 2010, 10:25 AM 

In reply to Graham's message,we also had to wear silky shinys for our gymnastics and games.One morning half way through our athletics I was called to receive my TB inoculation,which I was not particulary looking forward to.I was told to take my place in the queue still wearing my skimpy shorts.If this was not embarrassing enough as I was the only one so attired,the girl behind me decided to pinch my bottom through my satin shorts.Althogugh she found it amusing I felt terribly humiliated as this provoked shrieks of laughter.

Satin Shorts

September 9 2010, 4:36 PM 

It was odd that few Females wore Satin Shorts at School.

You would have thought it would have been the other way round!

The common ones,at least thee ones used at my Scholl were>

Umbro Classic.Very high cut and revealing came in a large array of colours.
Thin Satin that had a very good shine.

Spal.Thicker Satin and slighly less revealing with a square cut.

Pro Star.Very similar to Spal.

Admiral.They had fancy side patterns and a large Admiral badge.
The came in only 3 or 4 colours.Fairly thick Satin that was
slighty harsh!

Adidas.There were 3 main types that i was aware of
Sprinter.Running shorts and very skimpy with an inner brief.

Beckenbaur.Similar style to Umbro Classic with the usual 3 stripes
Not great quality satin.They tended to burst at the seams and the waistband
gave way easily.

Adidas Super A.Easily the best of all Satin shorts ever made.
They were square cut.Thick, high gloss,very slick satin that really did draw attention
to any Lad in them.If the sun was out they gleamed mercylessly.You did
need nerve to wear these when they were first released.The French versions
were stitched differently with an ultra close hem and slightly taller waistband.
The were made in UK.Tunisia and France and came with a manufaturing code label!
They were always made a size smaller than the lable indicated.
If you were 28" waist you needed a 30" to fit decently other wise
your bottom looked like it had spray on satin.The front,well.He-He.

They were at least double the price of any Satin short of the time.
My first pair in Black were £10.00 which was a lot of money
back then.You could pick up most of the others for £5.00
or less.

Many other brands became available up until the late 80`s
then they all totaly vanished from the scene!

Simon

School satin PE shorts

September 9 2010, 6:08 PM 

James thanks for your reply,The girls certainly didn't wear silky shinys at our school,they would have looked more ridiculous than the boys.These shorts were introduced in the late seventies and we wore Umbro,which as you say had large cut away side slits,with no inner brief.The style of these shorts made them absurdly brief and worn without underwear made the wearer very aware that they were very revealing.The ultra shimmering effect especially in sunny weather,invetibally made us shine at the backs of our shorts and I believe made us look common.

Satin nylon shorts at school

September 9 2010, 8:32 PM 

Did anyone actually ever see any girls dressed at school while in satin football shorts, or ever get spanked or caned!

Simon

September 10 2010, 7:29 AM 

In reply to the previous message,of course it would have been more appropriate to dress the girls in these silky shinys.Satin is a feminine material and to emasculate boys in this way not suitable.Certainly,at our school boys disliked wearing these shorts immensely and did nothing more than make 250 adolescent boys look ridiculous.

Declan

September 10 2010, 9:13 AM 

I still don't understand why boys would object to wearing these shorts. We did wear short shiny shorts , but they weren't of the spray on kind, though tight enough. I cannot remember anyone being embarrassed wearing them. They certainly went very tight when you bent over for the slipper though.

Girls, I am sure would have preferred to wear these rather than the elasticated bloomer things. Also, girls did enjoy seeing boys wearing these shorts and the shiny bottoms made a nice target for them to smack or pinch, as Simon mentioned, I remember getting a smack from an older girl after she had congratulated me for some performance at Sports Day.

I do remember once seeing some girls playing tennis at school, and a couple of them were wearing tight white shorts, but not made of satin.I think they were playing tennis as an out of school activity and therefore could wear what they liked.

Simon

School satin PE shorts

September 10 2010, 12:52 PM 

In reply to Declan,Wearing these silky shinys for the first time caused a cosiderable commmotion as these shorts were very different from our shorts I wore before.They were compulsory and we had to wear these shorts depicting the colour of our school house colours which were green,blue,red or yellow all in a very rich satin.For gymnastics we wore white and in the gym we could not be seen by prying eyes.When we changed into these shorts the material was very soft and was sesitive against our skin.During team events these shorts drew many admiring looks,mainly from girls who enjoyed seeing their contempories so scantily dressed in what looked like sprayed on satin,which gave an incredible sheen on our bottoms.This often led to an unwarranted pinch or smack on our shorts.

Willy

September 11 2010, 12:51 AM 

Although they did not exist when I was at school during the sixties I think they were very popular for both boys and girls, especially preteens and adoloscents, during the 70's and 80's. There is no doubt that they were designed for aesthetic reasons, especially being so short and tight.

Simon

School satin PE shorts

September 11 2010, 7:41 AM 

I agree with the last message that silky shinys were worn for aesthetic reasons and certainly it was a remarkable sight to see so many silk clad youngsters paraded about.But these shorts were not practical as they were very brief and tight to wear giving the unfortunate wearer an extremely unusual look as if he had been covered in a spray on satin material.

Paul

September 11 2010, 9:40 AM 

I agree with the last messge,not all boys were comfortable wearing silky shinys as they are commonally refered to.It was as though someone had a fantasy and decided,to make this come true boys should wear satin shorts.This fashion was rather than functional was simply to decorate boys,who unwilling had to accept this simply for reasons of gratification.

Dave

shirtless PE

September 11 2010, 10:56 AM 

And were you allowed to wear shirts for P.E.?
Lots of schools had a barechested PE kit for boys back then.

Satin Shirts

September 11 2010, 2:16 PM 

It was not to common but some of the Lads also had satin dress shirts.

These were made of Acetate satin.Polyester wasn`t common them.Very luxurious and ultra smart looking with school tie.

You were allowed such a shirt as long as it was school regulation colour.

If memory serves.There were 3 Lads in my form including myself who regularly wore
satin shirts.

I also remember one Teacher always refering to us as "The lads in the wet look shirts"

Downside was that you were easily identified from a fair distance
if you were up to no good.

I got seen with 2 other Lads in a garden behind the school stealing
Rasberries.He couldn`t ID the other 2 very well but he told Head that
one of them had a black, wet look shirt on.That narrowed things down
dramatically and i was then tawsed by the Head.

It also got you in there with some Females.They touched you a lot.No idea why!

Paul

School satin PE shorts

September 11 2010, 2:57 PM 

We were not allowed to wear shirts,underwear and had to go bare foot.We just wore nothing but our satin shorts.

Nick

September 12 2010, 7:10 PM 

Paul, we too were only allowed to wear shorts for PE in first form. After that we were permitted to wear the house vest that was on the uniform list also. If PE was outside we usually had to do it barechested (in first form). It was quite a shock coming from junior school and wearing very skimpy shorts and otherwise being stripped for PE.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

September 12 2010, 10:44 PM 

Nick,I appreciate want you went through wearing skimpy shorts and going bare chested.We had to wear them up to our fifth form.Did you wear silky shinys or just ordinary ones.

Neil

School satin PE shorts

September 13 2010, 12:33 PM 

In reply to Nick and Paul,we too had to go bare chested,minimal clothing seemed to be necessary,I guess to avoid restricting movement.Silky shinys also aided movement as these shorts were extremely light to wear,large side slits also avoided restrictive movements.They were cut incredibly brief barely covering our buttocks and leaving our thighs bare.Worn without underwear the slightest breeze would lift the backs of the shorts which could be very embarrassing.

Nick

September 13 2010, 9:20 PM 

Paul, it must have been awful having to do PE in just shorts right up to fifth form. There was just one PE teacher who made us go shirtless - I had him in form one and form five so had to do PE barechested at 11 and again at 15/16. We didnt have the shiny short but they started coming in in first form when I was further up the school so I was used to seeing them on the younger boys. Cross country was sometimes used as a punishment when boys of various ages had to do laps of the school fields together. Even though our shorts were not shiny they were very brief and had those v-slits up the side. We were an all boys school so I guess we werent too bothered.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

September 14 2010, 7:25 AM 

Nick,It was awful going shirtless for PE,but the shorts were far worse.These shorts were not very practical for the games and exercises that we had to participate in as they were so brief that we were not totally covered by the thin silky material.Discipline was very strict and any infringement of the rules meant that we would have to bend over and receive the slipper.Girls sometimes shared the gym and of course this led to further embarrassment.Sorry that you shared the same experiences that I did.

Dave

September 15 2010, 5:23 AM 

"Girls sometimes shared the gym "

You have mixed lessons with girls while wearing gym skimpy shorts only?
Wasn't all of the PE lessons gender segregated?
Being shirtless how did you play team sports in the gym?

Shared Gym

September 15 2010, 9:21 AM 

The only time we seen mixed Gym classes was during pratcice for the end of term dance.
They call it a Prom these days!

Skins agains the shirts was common.

Never found out why we were made to do this!

Declan

September 16 2010, 6:03 AM 

We did sometimes have mixed PE lessons, if the outsde pitches were waterlogged or whatever. These would be in the barn and full PE kit would be worn to play basketball or volleyball.

There were not surprisingly many 'collisions' between boys and girls and you could of course get away with it as we were playing sport, and didn't make it too obvious!

I'm sure the girls enjoyed it as much as the boys and the girls had the added bonus of seeing us in shiny tight shorts and I remember seeing and getting the odd slap on the bottom. There was also the possibility of the girls seeing us boys getting the slipper which did happen a few times, and judging by the reaction of the girls witnessing a slippering they very much enjoyed it. I was slippered once in shiny shorts in front of the girls and there were sympathetic looks from some of them, but others clearly enjoyed the spectacle. Sadly girls never got the slipper , at least not in front of the boys.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

September 16 2010, 7:32 AM 

Boys should have been given the choice to wear these silky shinys,particulerly in front of girls and should naver have had the slipper in front of them.They were a fashion that I certainly objected to wearing.

Satin Shorts

September 17 2010, 9:24 AM 

When real satin shorts started to come on the scene there wasn`t a rush by most Lads to own a pair.

We were actualy not allowed to use them in the 2nd form for indoor gym.Everyone had to look the same.

It did become a different matter when it was outdoor stuff though.Football.Cross country running etc`You could wear anything you wanted within reason.

I remember my frst outing in a pair of exceptionaly gleaming black Adidas Super A shorts.It caused a stir.Some Lads wanted to get them, others quoting they would not be seen dead in a pair of those!

The next year everything had changed as the indoor gym sessions did allow satin shorts as long as they were black.The School Football teams were now using black satin shorts exclusively so those Lads who would not be seen dead in them were the walking dead then!

All they way through to 6th form, satin and nylon shorts were the more common.A total turnaround from 2nd form when it was exclusively cotton or whatever.

Many Lads including myself owned many pairs of satin shorts for all the various sporting activities that were open to you then.That could not be said now.Schools don`t see physical education as a priority any more.

The poor little darlings my get dirty.Oh dear.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

September 17 2010, 10:20 AM 

In reply to James' message,boys certainly didn't want to be dressed differently from other boys,but a strict uniform policy had to be adhered to.When silky shinys were introduced at our school we were very apprehensive about wearing them.We were used to wearing shorts for school uniform,but we wore these with utter contempt.When wearing them they gleemed in the sunlight which may have been the attraction to some,but I found this led to further embarrassment.

tommy18

September 18 2010, 1:54 PM 

I remember these shorts when I was at school late 70s and early 80s, they were part of the pe kit uniform and all boys had to wear them.
They were very tight and left nothing to the imagination particularly in the older teen lads 16-18 who were well endowed.
nothing else was allowed under the shorts and any lad who disobeyed would feel the pe teachers slipper or cane depending on what mood he was in.
the slipper was bad enough but 3 or 4 cane strokes over these shorts was absolute agony.

Nick

September 18 2010, 2:36 PM 

Those silky shorts were introduced in my school when I was getting towards the top of the school. So we older boys stuck to the traditional cotton PE shorts - though still very short and with the v-slits up the sides. However, our Scout Master thought it would be good for all scouts to wear them on camp and so we were "forced" into them alongside the 11yo who had them for school.

Graham

Re School satin PE shorts

September 18 2010, 6:47 PM 

We also wore silky shinys as they were refered to.Age was certainly no criteria to wear other shorts.We too had to wear these demeaning shorts at 18 similarly to 11 year olds without the benefit of underwear.I'm sure many boys would have rebelled if the cane or slipper was not readily available to anyone who had refused to wear these ludicrous shorts.I too was caned in my satin shorts for disobeying my teacher,when requested to hold the finishing tape at cross country event.Six strokes were given and the pain was absolute agony as the shorts offered very little protection.

hcj

September 18 2010, 8:31 PM 

I too was caned in my satin shorts for disobeying my teacher,when requested to hold the finishing tape at cross country event.Six strokes were given and the pain was absolute agony as the shorts offered very little protection.

My reaction is to ask why you refused to hold the tape at the cross-country event? As six strokes seems rather harsh, it does not sound as though this was the minor infraction you describe; indeed perhaps you had a history of being uncooperative?

I do not normally contribute to this thread, as I have little to add to the discussion. But one point which may be of interest is that the textile fibre used in those shorts, unlike cotton, was not compressible, nor were they loose enough to retain air pockets that would cushion the stroke. For all practical purposes, they provided no protection whatsoever.

Graham

September 19 2010, 3:50 PM 

Nick,How old were you when you were "forced" by your scout master to wear satin shorts and how did he persuade you to wear them?

Nick

September 19 2010, 4:48 PM 

Graham, I was 15 or 16 and in Fifth Form at school. As I say, the new silky shorts were all the rage with the First and Second Formers (11-13 year olds) but regarded with embarrassment by the older boys - we stuck to our traditional white cotton PE shorts even though they were very short. However, my scout troop had a tradition of wearing only shorts at camp and the Scout Leader decided that the silky white PE ones worn by the younger boys would be "official" camp kit. You didnt have a choice really, you just had to go along with it. So all the 15/16 year olds ended up wearing the same silky shorts as the younger boys. We must have been quite a sight!

Robert

September 24 2010, 10:23 PM 

Nick,I would like to have had the opportunity to have worn silky shinys at our scouts rather than grey short trousers.

Some Old Shiny Shorts

September 27 2010, 3:54 PM 

Clearing the loft at the weekend and found some very old stuff from my Teenage years.

Some of this might be worth cash.He-He.

Included in the archives were 4 pairs of my old School Satin shorts.

2 Pair of Adidas Super A Satin Black/White stipes. Black/Red stripes
1 pair of White Satin Litesome and 1 pair of Bukta Red Satin.
All in 28" waist.My God was i ever that size!

The Black Adidas retain there stunning wet look gloss.The others
are still ok but certainly have aged as much as me!

I know for fact i was caned in all of these minus any underwear.

The pain still is clear.

Dave

September 27 2010, 4:02 PM 

I've opnened a topoic about PE kits. You are welcomed to make comments, share experiences:

http://www.topix.com/forum/education/TJ0B9FI47OMUQF199

Teachers who paddle EXPOSED

September 29 2010, 12:28 AM 

WADES SECOND LETTER TO MAUREEN DOWNEY

Dear Maureen, 9/28/10

I wrote to you a week or so ago about the weblog Teacherswhopaddle. As you remember from my last letter, we operate a weblog entitled Teacherswhopaddle-Exposed. We posted our first letter to you on our web.

Heres a message the Teacherswhopaddle sent to you on their weblog MEMO TO MAUREEN DOWNEY: We at TWP are aware that you have been contacted by an anti c.p. blog written by a Rev. and Jestin Samson. Before you pass any verdict on our blog and what it stands for -Read it for yourself. Then read the other blog and compare. You may disagree with us on the issue of school c.p. but we are NOT what that other blog says we are. As mothers and a mother-to-be, we would NEVER abuse our students -Much less our own children!

This Teacherswhopaddle blog is set up for one purpose to try and keep corporal punishment legal in our in schools. The women who are the master minds behind the teachers who paddle weblog tell stories about their home life, their vacations, their early years of teaching and their years in college. They are trying to present themselves as loving, caring, and innocent people. They are anything but innocent. In my first letter I told you the story of Renee, an alias name on the blog, she claims to be an assistant principal. She paddled an eighteen year old girl, striking her with full force using both of her hands on her backside.

She rejoiced in her actions. Consider what she wrote. She brags about the kind of paddle she has-Holding a rather heavy 20 x 4x 1double handled paddle. After she humiliates the girl with a paddle, she looks upon her accomplishment. In eagerness she wrote. She was reduced to tears and clutching her rear. Renee has no concern for the childs welfare. She just beats her unmercifully. She is full of pride over her deed. After she disgraced this young woman, heres her attitude. If my paddling reputation causes the high school girls to act more like ladies and not thugs -That will be for the better! Isnt this abuse? I could send you the whole story. It is very hard to read about an educator doing this to a child. Maureen, our children deserve better.

These four women on this blog have called me every name in the book and then some. Their favorite name is antis referring to people like you and me who are anti-corporal punishment in schools. Theyve called me a bully, a pervert. Youre not real Reverend, dead witty and a few more chose names.

In one of their blogs, they throw their hatred at what they call the anti-cp crowd which includes you and me. In a very, angry hostile tone of writingalias Renee exerts. Show me where there is a federal law exempting special education kids from corporal punishment. These women want to punish the handicapped with a paddle. I have a twenty six year old autistic daughter who went to school in Missouri and Iowa. Corporal punishment is legal in Missouri, but they didnt use it where we lived. Ive read stories of these monster educators using corporal punishment on autistic children. My child has never spoken a word in her life. She would have no idea what it meant if you hit her on the backside with a paddle. These women want to paddle the severely handicap.

Jestin Samson, my internet partner is well versed on all the research concerning the negative effects of corporal punishment. A few weeks a go he posted a newspaper article on our web about school shootings. Paddlings have not stopped school shootings. More school shootings happen in districts where paddling is still used. The teacherswhopaddle weblog didnt like the article. They dont like any research, news stories or anything else which challenges their primitive ways of disciplining children. These women who operate this weblog live in your state. Maureen our children deserve better.

Thank you for your consideration,

Wade Ditty, Minister, Presbyterian Church (USA)

Neil

October 3 2010, 6:22 PM 

These satin shorts were quite common during the late seventies and early eighties and we were subjected to wearing these silky shinys to make us look cute.I had the misfortune to wear them for sports,gym and running.The material was light and made a swishing noise as we moved about.The shimmering efffect drew many admiring glances and the beauty of them were mainly in the eyes of the beholder.

Graham

School satin PE shorts

October 21 2010, 6:44 PM 

Further to my previous message I truly regret disobeying my teacher and not holding the finishing tape at a cross country running event.It was bitterly cold and standing in my silky shinys offered very little protection from the biting March winds.As hcj explained the thin,soft satin material offered no protection from the slipper.The punishment was more than adequate and the blows were absolule agony.

hcj

October 23 2010, 4:50 PM 

Further to my previous message I truly regret disobeying my teacher and not holding the finishing tape at a cross country running event.It was bitterly cold and standing in my silky shinys offered very little protection from the biting March winds.As hcj explained the thin,soft satin material offered no protection from the slipper.The punishment was more than adequate and the blows were absolule agony.

And the fact that your muscles were cold, restricting the blood flow, would have made it more painful and for longer than would normally have been the case. As all sportsmen know, it is important to warm up before exercise to prevent muscle strains. For the most effective punishment, the opposite is true, the muscles should be inactive for a time and completely cold.

Graham

School satin PE shorts

October 23 2010, 10:38 PM 

hcj,Thanks for your reply to my message and the valid points that you raised,although I was not aware of them.I'm sure tho,that the main reason for enforcing us to wear these silky shinys,rather than aesthetic reasons was to enforce summary punishment when considered necessary.Wearing satin shorts when not participating in sports is certainlly not enjoyable and the punishment I received I did not consider appropriate.

james

October 24 2010, 7:28 PM 

It was not seen as punishment to wear satin shorts at the School i attended.Indeed many Lads preferred satin shorts and they were expensive to buy against cotton.That alone showed that it was no hardship to wear those gleaming satin numbers.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

October 31 2010, 3:35 PM 

In reply to James,of course boys wore those gleaming satin numbers bacause they were compelled to.Certainly at our school it would have been an infringement of school rules not to wear these silky shinys.At school we either wore grey corduroy short trousers and satin shorts simply because there was no choice.

Satin shorts

November 3 2010, 2:35 AM 

I think these became popular after my time at school - our shorts were definitely cotton. Very thin and cut at the sides, but cotton. Wearing any kind of underwear under them was forbidden, and detection was all too easy - they were so brief that anything other than a g-string (unknown in those days) would have been obvious to everyone. Any boy seen to be wearing underpants was sent back to the changing room to correct his dress. Dissent simply did not happen! No punishment for non-conformity - peer ridicule was enough.

Dan

November 4 2010, 11:41 AM 

And what was your whole PE kit? (inside and outside lessons). Did you wear plimsolls or shirts?

November 4 2010, 1:39 PM 

We normaly wore the same kit for indoor and outdoor activities.

If it was an arranged event by the school like cross country run or an assault course in the gym it was compulsory to wear issued white short sleeved cotton t-shirt.white ankle sox and those very unsuportive black gym shoes with the moulded tan coloured soles.Black Satin shorts were also standard as was no underwear

No matter the weather, this was the kit you were givin.

You had to take it home, get it washed and ironed and return it.

Other sporting activities you could use your own kit but the colours and style were limited.You couldn`t use football club gear etc`.

Most Lads came over to satin shorts from cotton.I would say 70% used satin/nylon shorts.
It was not seen as any form of hardship or punishment to wear such shiny satin shorts.

That wasn`t so when the Adidas Super A satin shorts appeared.They were exceptionlay well made of high quality thicker bridal type satin and very shiny indeed.They were expensive to buy so maybe that limited some Lads from having them, the figure was more like 10% of Lads who owned these particualt satin shorts.Amazingly, theft of these shorts was quiet common.I lost 2 pairs due to that.I remember 2 Lads being caught stealing these shorts from other Lads bags.They were Tawsed severly in private and reported to Parents.

After several incidents of theft of these particualr satin shorts most Lads wore them as underwear going to school including myself.

Paul

School satin PE shorts

November 4 2010, 1:54 PM 

Dan,Wo were only allowed to wear white,satin shorts for our inside pysical training and barefoot.Outside we wore satin shorts in our team colours,with the school emblem emblazoned on them and vests.Short trousers at all other times.

Stephane

PE shorts

November 14 2010, 12:44 AM 

Along with most boys in my class, I wore shiny white satin shorts for PE. They were fairly short but comfortable, and I even used them a couple of times for swimming as well. But when I was about 14, I suddenly realised my shorts had become too tight, and replaced them with cotton shorts that were a bit longer and more roomy.
We werent allowed to wear anything under our PE shorts and the rest of our kit varied depending on which teacher we had. In my first year we did PE in vests and plimsolls, the next year it was bare chests and bare feet and by the time I switched to cotton shorts, we were allowed plimsolls again but still no tops. For outdoor running we were never barefoot but sometimes bare chested.

School satin PE shorts

Martin

November 18 2010, 7:08 PM 

On a visit to my school outfitters,in the seventies for my new school uniform,it was necessary to purchase games kit for my new school.At this request the sales assistant soon returned with kit which I assumed would be suitable for sports.These shorts were not cotton but a silky shiny material which I had never seen before.Six pairs were purchased and we returned home to try on my new shorts.They were very brief,soft and shiny and I new I would create quite a spectacle in these shorts.My contempories were quite amused to see me wearing satin shorts and I was teased unmercillessly.

Graham

School satin PE shorts

November 19 2010, 7:59 AM 

My younger step brother wore these satin shorts that are so frequently mentioned and it was decided I should also wear these silky shinys,when put back in short trousers at 12 years old.My parents thought it a good idea to keep us identicaly dressed and these shorts were mainly for play shorts and sports at school.I certainly found it more inappropiate to be put back in short trousers than wearing satin shorts.

james

November 21 2010, 2:47 PM 

Just discovered that vintage Adidas Super A Satin shorts have
sold on E-Bay for average £80.00 per pair.

Astonishing.

MARTIN

NYLON PE SHORTS

February 14 2011, 1:52 PM 

YES,i had white nylon pe / football shorts.in my early youth we wore the shorts solo,lovely next to the skin,soft ,smooth,seethrough .we had a no underwear rule,i was often aroused in them,then at my senior school we had to wear a jockstrap,that was visible under my shorts,loved to wear it as it gave support and protection with a box during cricket,

I still have those shorts since leaving school, and the jockstraps and box.love the nylon shorts.worn solo and my girlfriend love the feel of them,and seeing me wearing them solo.lovely nylon!!

Simon.

School satin PE shorts

February 14 2011, 8:19 PM 

In reply to Martin,I certainly didn't share the same enthusiasm for wearing satin shorts.We too wore them without underwear through our secondary school and the see through affect made these very brief,silky shinys even more embarrssing to wear.

dave

pe shorts

April 2 2011, 3:04 PM 

I went to school at a Northern Comprehensive in the late 70s ealry 80s. We had outdoor and indoor PE kit, indoor was all white, and outdoor house colour top (nylon) and stiff nylon black umbro shorts. My first PE lesson (outdoor) was a nerve wracking. The head of PE was taking the lesson, and was terrifyingly strict. Apart from the new experience of having to strip naked in front of other lads and put nylon shorts on with no underpants, this teacher walked around the changing rooms smacking a size 11 slipper on the walls telling us that we could not speak whilst getting changed. He was soon to be a reputed disciplinarian, feared by all lads, and who regularly slippered lads bending over in the gym, or the soccer pitch. He was also know to smack lads legs with his hand, which i received twice, both times on cross country runs.

Carl and mats

April 2 2011, 4:34 PM 

Thread now closed - is v boring even though his Holiness stepped in on Septembre 29 last year.

Thank you.

Current Topic - School satin PE shorts  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement