<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Russian CP

January 25 2009 at 11:00 PM
Scotty the Occasional Poster 

It has been brought to my attention that in Russian Movies and drama (well including former members of the Soviet Union) always went in for what seemed very severe punishments, applied to the bare bottom with switches, belts and birches.

One other oddity, when boys were punished, they lay on a table (often held down) and to bare the bottom they undid their belt (think cossack style over the clothes belt) pulled up their top clothes and then pulled their lower garments just enough to bare the target area.

Younger boys had lower garments lowered and upper body held between legs of punisher who then punished down the bottom with belt or hand.

Is this in fact accurate or is this a case of filming orthodoxy coming into play?

Scotty

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
60s boy

russian cp

January 26 2009, 12:48 AM 

My dad came from the former soviet union and he would use a belt on the bare, I only had it 3 or 4 times when I was very young so I never had it lying down.

Alan Turing

Re: Russian CP

January 26 2009, 8:26 AM 

I recall visiting, within the past few years, a museum in Eastern Europe which contained a room displaying instruments of torture. One of these was a long table with restraints for legs, waist and arms; the recipient would lie horizontally face down on the table, secured by the restraints, in order to be flogged.

It is possible that the museum could have been at Spissky Hrad, a very large ruined castle in eastern Slovakia.

Falling Star

January 26 2009, 8:14 PM 

Scotty:

Your information seems highly probable to me. I've spent a lot of time in Russia, and whilst it's well-known that there was no corporal punishment in schools, that was certainly not the case at home. I'm not sure why it was done this way, but it certainly seems to be the case.
The belt was the most common form of implement, presumably because it was the most available item.
In order to understand this more clearly, it should be remembered that in the days of the USSR, the bad behaviour of a child would have wider efeects on the family. For example, the behaviour of the child could affect the family's chances of getting better accommodation, or even the father's chance of a better job, so any such bad behaviour would be treated severely.
Of course, that is not the case today, but old habits die hard, and families are very important in Russia. From more recent discussions with Russians it would appear that the belt is still in frequent use.
The USSR and Russia have never shied away from showing corporal punishment in films, as can be seen on the following website: http://ccp.bsp-txt.org

george

January 26 2009, 11:26 PM 

How can you open these clips or is it impossible. I know so little about computers

George

Another_Lurker

January 27 2009, 1:00 AM 

No problem George!

These videos are zipped up .avi files which should play in your media player once you've unzipped them and if you've got the right video codec.

They are fairly short clips. I've had a look at a couple, reasonable quality but not my sort of thing at all. However, if you want to try them, lets take it a step at a time.
  1. RIGHT CLICK with your mouse on one of the little pictures down the left middle of the page.

2. You'll see a drop-down menu. Click on Save Target As..

3. You'll see the 'Save As' box. Use 'Save in' to tell it where to save the file. Your Desktop is as good as anywhere for the initial try, so click the little down arrow at the right of 'Save in', scroll up and find 'Desktop' and click on it.

4. Now click on the 'Save' button to save the file.

5. Now look on your desk top. You should see an icon for a file called something_or_other.zip (the name depends on which video you picked. This is a zip (compressed) file and you now need to get the .avi file out of it. You'll probably already have some software for unzipping files, so first try double-clicking the zip file icon. If a program opens tell it you want to extract the file and where you want to put it. I can't be more specific than that, because I don't know what software you might have.

6. If nothing happens, indicating that you haven't got any software to unzip the file you'll need to download a program to do this. Tell me what operating system (version of windows or whatever) you use and I'll try to advise. However, if all has gone well you'll now have a file called something_or_other.avi wherever you told the unzipping software to put it. Double click the avi file icon. If you are lucky it will open up and play in whatever media player you use. If so, you're home and dry, repeat process as often as you like for the other 97 clips! happy.gif However, if it doesn't play and your media player doesn't go get the necessary codec to make it play itself, read on.

7. A codec is essentially a series of instructions to a media player on how to play a particular type of video file. Unfortunately there are lots of different codecs. These videos use a codec called VP6. You'll need to download and install this codec and your media player should then be able to play the video so:

8. Go to the link here. After a couple of seconds a 'File Download' box should open. Click the 'Save' button and as in 3 & 4 above you'll need to tell it where to save the file and save it. Again, if you're not familiar with this process your Desktop is as good a place as any initially.

9. You'll now find a file called VP6_decoder.exe wherever you saved the codec file. Double-click this file to run it and install the codec.

10. Now try and play the avi file in your media player again. All should now be well Once you've got one of these videos to play the rest should play ok as they all use the same codec according to the site. Happy viewing!

george

January 27 2009, 8:42 PM 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. i DID DOWNLOAD FIVE BUT DELETED THEM ALL. I WAS EXPECTING TO SEE CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IN SCHOOLS......IN A HISTORIC CONTEXT. THE CLIPS ON THIS SITE DO NOT INTEREST ME IN THE SLIGHTEST...

mANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

GEORGE

Another_Lurker

January 27 2009, 8:51 PM 

Glad you were able to follow my rather lengthy instructions George. For a man who claimed above that 'I know so little about computers' I'd say you did rather well!

Falling Star

January 28 2009, 7:26 PM 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. i DID DOWNLOAD FIVE BUT DELETED THEM ALL. I WAS EXPECTING TO SEE CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IN SCHOOLS......

George - did you not read the first sentence in my post?

American Way

Note 1939 and 1931

February 20 2012, 12:38 PM 

N.B. The woman in the classroom versus the wife about to be beaten. Long live the Feminists Revolution

CLICK

CLICK

Willy

February 20 2012, 2:05 PM 

Russia was proably the first country in the world to abolish school CP, since this ban came into effect soon after the Russian Revolution in 1918.
So any reference to such school CP in Russia after that time is either fiction or illicit CP.

On this note, I wonder if there were any other countries which banned schol CP as early, or earlier than that.

I have read accounts by men, now living in the West, who were brought up in Russia, and they all say that CP was never allowed in their schools, not even in boarding schools.

There were other forms of punishment, and if it can be believed, it seems that one common form of punishment, especially in boarding schools, was makng boys stand naked in front of class or in the dormitory corridors.
This form of punishment never seems to have been applied to girls, even when they were in the same class or school.
Which double standard, if true, would undoubtedly disappoint and anger Jenny. Unless she makes an exception to this one, seeing the nature of the punishment. happy.gif

Another_Lurker

February 20 2012, 4:18 PM 

Hi Willy,

Does it not strike you as just a teeny touch inconsistent to say:

Russia was proably the first country in the world to abolish school CP, since this ban came into effect soon after the Russian Revolution in 1918.

And then follow it up with:

I wonder if there were any other countries which banned schol CP as early, or earlier than that.

However, just for the record, how about Poland, which abolished school CP in 1783 (see this Wikipedia article and references therefrom) - beats 1918 by a fair whack, no pun intended! wink.gif Oh, and BTW the Russian ban was probably 1917 not 1918.

You said above with regard to Russian schools:

There were other forms of punishment, and if it can be believed, it seems that one common form of punishment, especially in boarding schools, was makng boys stand naked in front of class or in the dormitory corridors.

A new one on me I confess, but then I seem to recall saying the same thing about all those unfortunate lads chastised naked from the waist down in mixed classes in the US in the 1950s that we discussed recently over in Renee's thread. Mixed schools involved in Russia too I note.

Errm, having failed miserably to provide anything to substantiate your US claims I don't suppose there's any chance you're going to amaze me by providing some back-up to verify this interesting feature of Russian schools? No, I thought not. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Current Topic - Russian CP  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SchoolsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement